Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity Bailout Analysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the (SolarCity) convertible due by the end of the year is recourse against all Tesla assets or just SolarCity assets?
I'm not aware that Tesla issued any specific guarantees as part of the merger. That said, I can't imagine they'd let SCTY file BK as it would be a PR disaster. Just imagine the gloating from Chanos and the other old SCTY shorts who are now short TSLA.

I'm not aware that Tesla issued any specific guarantees as part of the merger. That said, I can't imagine they'd let SCTY file BK as it would be a PR disaster. Just imagine the gloating from Chanos and the other old SCTY shorts who are now short TSLA.

Ick! You'd bet they'd make the doomsday call for TSLA if Solar City went.

Reactions: neroden
Yeah, it still trades. CUSIP 83416TAC4. Not super liquid and not for retail investors.

Yes, that's the CUSIP alright. My account shows the bond price at $93.8561, but as you say, not super liquid, so it is anybody's guess what the real price is. My guess is that you'd have to buy in the $200K-$500K volume range to be able to buy it at all. If you can buy it at that price, seems like a screaming deal to me. It is due November 1, 2019, so Tesla only has to be able to pay off or refinance this bond in 6 months and you'll have made 6.5% on your money for 6 months (plus 0.8125% for 6 months of the coupon).

Reactions: neroden