Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@HenryF, at 6KWs average, that would mean a 65.5GW install base at 26% market share of full saturation. Just seems mindbogging to just achieve 1/3 of that... just shows how much potential there is in roof top solar in general in those 14 states alone.

SolarCity Announces Pricing of Second Securitization - Yahoo Finance

ABS announced this morning was interesting. Kelly talked about hitting 90mln-100mln mark this round, but it turned out to be 70.2mln. They did get 4.59% which is better then the 4.80% of the first $54mln ABS. However, this $70mln one is a shorter term(2022) compared to the $54mln(2026).

This is fascinating stuff. I wondering how these negotations go? Was this agreement about Solarcity sticking hard to getting that lower rate? How did they arrive at these terms? Since this is only the second solar ABS ever, is a standard offering starting to develop? Can we expect these terms to be the norm for future ABS?

Overall, I would like to hear how the ABS terms are developed and what factors go into how these eventual numbers materialize. I think they want to do at lease one ABS/quarter, so we should get a better sense of it, IMO. I think since this is so new, the market doesn't quite know what quite to make of it, so a shakeout of weak hands happens, IMO.

The way I'm looking at it right now: Solarcity has raised $124mln of capitial that never before was available otherwise. It is also the lowest cost capital achieveable as well. They anticipate doing this 2 or 3 more times this year. I'm going to do an initial projection, based off of today's $70mln ABS, of $140-210mln+ more by the end fo Q4 2014, and a total of up to $332mln of ABS capitial raised at the start of 2015.

Is this going to happen? No idea right now since it's so new and norms/standards are being established each time they do it. It could go down, but it also could go up(duh). My feeling, is this could go up a lot more as investors start getting used to this, as well as seeing more MWs installed and working to see how really secure these lease/ppa payments actually are. Things like this tend to have a tipping point, and when that hits, it could significant, especially if amass a few GWs over the next couple years.

Will be interesting to see how the individual level ABS initial run turns out. Might be less or a hardball negotiation process, but at the same time might present the risk of variabiliy in obtaining that individual ABS capital... meaning how much money will they recieve during a specific time period could be nothing or it could be llittle, at least with institutions you can get a large injection of cash at once... we'll see, right... very intreguing regardless... Solarcity is on the front edge of innovative financing in the Solar industry that's for sure.

To add, ABS is a pool of high quality, predictable long term lease/ppa payments. So the strength of the lease/ppa market is essential to growing ABS capital. Maybe this is why we're seeing many solar companies adjusting their mix toward residential lease right now. The question is, will these new comers to the lease/ppa market be able to gain market share on Solarcity? It will be also interesting to see the size and rate of their ABS offerings compared to Solarcity. All in all, of ABS is attractive to their business, then this will only add further strength to a lease/ppa market, since there is greater incentive to market it to the masses.

Just did a quick comparison... PG&E has about 8GWs of generation capacity and currently has a $20bln market cap. If by mid 2018, Solarcity has 6GWs and continues to see rapid growth ahead, is this currently priced in at $60?

For me, it just doesn't seem so. Therefore, if Solarcity executes on the 475-525MW goal and sets a 2015 goal of 900MW - 1GW (which implies continued compound growth) we should see a big jump on the scale of 2013. With that, will see even greater volatility, so strap on your seat belts if this happens. This also isn't accounting for mass energy storage, so that could really give support a big price jump/volitity.

My factors in seeing this execution:

CPUC regulation supporting energy storage deployment.

Continued strong growth of lease/ppa contracts.

continuous quarterly/annual capital infusions from solar ABS.

Did a little deeper dive on the back-of-the-envelop numbers... wow... the significance of ABS to retained value is massive.

If Solarcity were to achieve 6GWs of installs by mid 2018, retained value would be $9.060bln (based on $1.51 retained value/watt as of 2013YE).

Now if 65% of those 6GWs were lease/ppa payments, and those 65% were financed with the ABS market, then retained value would INCREASE by $6.443bln. So, total retained value by mid 2018 becomes $15.503bln.

How I got these numbers: Used 83,265 customers and 567MWs(total installed) to get average customer install being 6.81KWs. Used 6,596 PV system pool number and $70.2mln ABS number to get $10,643/PV system. So, $10,643/6.81KWs = $1,563/KW = $1,563,000/MW. Meaning every MW installed gets $1.563mln worth of ABS capital. So, By mid 2018, 3.9GW(65% of 6GW) are financed by ABS which totals $6.095bln. Now Solarcity has said the last ABS($54.4mln) raised retained value an average of $57.5mln(Q4presentation). So for every dollar of ABS raised, retained Value goes up $1.057. Thus $6.095bln X $1.057 = $6.443bln in ADDITIONAL RETAINED VALUE. So, add $6.443bln to to $9.060bln and you get $15.503bln in total retained value mid 2018.

Now I see where Bob Kelly comes up with $500mln in free cash flow. If you take $15.503bln and divide it by 30 years, you get about $516mln/annual after O&M and tax equity money... essentially free cash flow with absolutely ZERO GROWTH. And this brings me to STOCK VALUATION.

I am going to peg Solarcity to PG&E(PCG). Simply, they both are companies that sell energy. The metric I will use to measure stock valuation will be PCG NET INCOME TO SCTY RETAINED VALUE and thus figure out market share and share price.

PGG has had about a $20bln market cap for a few years. It's stock oscillates around this value, so I see it as a low/no growth stock and thus will use it's net income of about $900mln as a constant to which to base Solarcity's valuation.

Now this is where RETAINED VALUE gets simplified. If Solarcity were to be a no growth stock it would realize it's retained value as FREE CASH FLOW over 30 years. So currently, Solarcity's retained value is $1bln. If they STOP GROWTH COMPLETELY and just dealt with it's current customers for the next 30 years, if would see $33.33mln/year in free cash(net income for this comparison) just like PCG sees about $900mln every year from its nearly static customer base. So, 900mln/33.33mln =27. Then divide PCG's $20bln market cap by 27, and get 740.7mln in market cap. Divide that by 91.571mln shares and you get a share price of $8.09 at zero growth. Today's close was $59.08 so it's trading at 7.3 times greater then PCG's current value. Not too coincidentally, but still interesting, current compounding ground is 73-75%y/y, so many a way to see the multiple attached to SCTY stock price.

If they achieve 500MW(ave.) this year with $210.6mln of ABS (3X70.2) then retained value would be approx. $1.834bln. FCF(net income for comparison), without growth, would be $61.126mln/year. 20bln/14.72=1.359bln market cap. 1.359bln/91.571mln shares = $14.84/share(NO GROWTH). If we apply same 7.3 growth multiple in current stock price, then the share price by 2014YE should be $108.34

Now, if they achieve the 6GW goal by mid 2018, then retained value could reflect 15.503bln and thus $516mln/year FCF(net income for comparison) and a stock price of $125.23(NO GROWTH). With 7.3 growth multiple, stock price would be $914.22.

Now, more shares will inevitably be floating out there, and maybe the growth won't compound at 75%, but think about this, even if they stop compounding in 2018 and continue to install the same amount of GWs after, they will still achieve about 12-14GWS total installed by 2020, and given approx. 65GW of addressable market(static 2013 buildings) in its current 14 states, it doesn't seem likely will slow down from that number much for years after either...

On today’s close SCTY was priced at 63.0% of its highest close on February 27. On an intraday basis it shrunk today to 60.0% of its peak on February 26. Those figures surround the Golden Ratio (Fibonacci) 61.8% that often marks a bottom, as was the case for the autumn decline in TSLA.

The winter rally to new highs for TSLA may have quashed the shareholder suits against Tesla Motors officers. How likely is something similar to occur for SolarCity?

Hey Curt,

It's funny how the the 1603 grant program investigation pops up every time the stock goes down. The whole Barron's article came out the weekend before the stock was hitting its low around $28-29 after reaching its ATH of around $52 a couple months earlier. Dark Clouds Over SolarCity - Barrons.com

Solarcity responded with its own blog:
Burying a Dead Horse

Looks like to me their costs had to be signed off on by independent auditors just to get the funds, so I can't wait to see how this investigation concludes.

It's also funny that Solarcity is the only company among all the companies in the 1603 investigation that has publicly stated they are being investigated. I would think other companies would be as transparent, but that doesn't seem the case. But, no one wants to talk about that since Solarcity is way more interesting. It is also curious that this investigation came out during the run up to the presidential election where the issue du jour was government money going to busted "green" programs recipients like Solyndra and dare I say it Tesla... remember that speech?

SolarCity becomes focus of US Treasury investigation: pv-magazine

It's funny how in the PV magazine article the Treasury Dep. said this investigation could go on "for some months." Since this was initiated in JULY 2012, it is more like YEARS... HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO INVESTIGATE? Solarcity has been cooperative, giving them all the data they need dating back to 2007.

In the News - SolarCity Lawsuit Could Encourage Other Section 1603 Cash Grant Recipients to Push for Higher Awards

Also, this investigation by the "Feds" is again another "old issue" brought up when the stock is down. Solarcity had a suit back in MAY 2013 suing the federal government for wrong doing and the government is just now taking its chance to do get is discovery done! Hopefully, since the "feds"(as the title of the article suggests) have a suspense by DECEMBER to finish their discovery, maybe things can stop DRAGGING along and get done. If this is such a pressing issue, you think they would have some findings by now, right?

Feds to troll SolarCity books while company seeks another $14.6M Watchdog.org

Oh, and if only one person with 100 shares out of all other owners of the rest of the 91,000,000+ shares is filing a law suit, I don't think it becomes front page news on anyone's radar other than those that want Solarcity to fail. It's funny how the same law firms are investigating and chomping at the bit to file a suit against Solarcity are the ones that filed against Tesla (as Curt pointed out). What happened to those law suits? Exactly.

I wonder what happens if or when Solarcity is cleared? What will happen then?

- - - Updated - - -

And now what I originally intended for this post... here is what I think Solarcity will set out as their Q2-Q4 MW goals:

Q2: 98-102MWs
Q3: 118-122MWs
Q4: 195-205MWs

Last edited:
On today’s close SCTY was priced at 63.0% of its highest close on February 27. On an intraday basis it shrunk today to 60.0% of its peak on February 26. Those figures surround the Golden Ratio (Fibonacci) 61.8% that often marks a bottom, as was the case for the autumn decline in TSLA.

During the last couple of days, not only has SCTY been holding at Golden Ratio support, but also at its 200-day moving average. The bullish significance of these considerations is discussed in my McGraw-Hill book "The Investor's Guide to Technical Analysis".

I was long SCTY for two periods during the spring and summer of 2013 and made significant profits despite missing the later runs up. I see FUD regarding a stretched out government investigation of the basis for consumer credits, along with lawsuits in relation to the recent share price correction, as being way overly discounted by the market.

Today I again became a SCTY shareholder. This time I hope it is for the long run. I created this thread to gather information for making a decision. I've appreciated the inputs from all who have been participating. I hope many others have benefited as well.

During the last couple of days, not only has SCTY been holding at Golden Ratio support, but also at its 200-day moving average. The bullish significance of these considerations is discussed in my McGraw-Hill book "The Investor's Guide to Technical Analysis".

I was long SCTY for two periods during the spring and summer of 2013 and made significant profits despite missing the later runs up. I see FUD regarding a stretched out government investigation of the basis for consumer credits, along with lawsuits in relation to the recent share price correction, as being way overly discounted by the market.

Today I again became a SCTY shareholder. This time I hope it is for the long run. I created this thread to gather information for making a decision. I've appreciated the inputs from all who have been participating. I hope many others have benefited as well.

Curt, do you believe that technical indicators on individual stocks have value and/or get discounted when stocks are tracking the NASDAQ so closely, such as has been the case for TSLA lately? TSLA, NFLX, AMZN and others are moving minor amounts on company-specific news lately, but major amounts on NASDAQ (macroeconomic) movement.

Does the NASDAQ itself have a "Golden Ratio?"

Curt, hope it works out for you in the long run too... might be hard with all these big price swings, but that seems to come with compounding growth, right?

Honestly, the more I think about the asset backed securitization, the more it becomes apparent how important it is becoming for the business model. Based on the 54.4mln ABS, for every $1 they raise, they increase retained value by $1.057. If 65% of the 567MWs they have installed thru 2103YE is lease/ppa (which Lyndon stated on the Q4 conf call the number is actually above 90%), they still $451,443,650 of possible ABS funds.... and that's after the $54.4mln & $70.2mln. If they continue to do $70.2mln offerings, it will take nearly two years to get it all. And if they reach 525MW(65% lease/ppa), they will have another $533,373,750 worth of funds to tap into... and another 2 years(at $70.2mln) to get through it! Since the recent $70.2mln ABS was oversubscribed, I imagine they could put together bigger offerings, hopefully $100-200mln. I think this is where the individual level ABS comes into play as well. Individual level ABS could speed up obtaining the money as well as add volume in funds available.

Crowdfunding Seen Topping $5 Billion for Rooftop Solar - Businessweek

From this article, it seems the individual level ABS will be exactly like the institutional level ones, just you and I will be able to go on the internet and get a piece directly. My belief is that they will price offerings by KW. Based on the $70.2mln offering, the ABS price/KW = $1,563. So, if a 1 million people world wide went on the internet and participated in buying 1 system worth (average is 6.81KWs) of ABS, Solarcity could get $10.64bln in ABS funds. And at 65% lease/ppa, that means it would have to have installed over 6.8GWs to do that... and if each ABS dollar continues to increase retained value by $1.06, this could turn out to be a major, major deal when it comes out.

I think some important questions for the next conference call as it relates to ABS could be:
How much did the $70.2mln ABS improve retained value?
How quickly is Solarcity turning bookings into installed systems?(important to turn debt financing of installs into ABS financing of lease/ppa payments; also important for customer satisfaction)
When will the individual ABS come on line?

With this, I will be all ears for these answers on the Q1 conference call in May. Should really give perspective on scope of growth as well as the impact of low cost financing on the future heath of the company going into 2015 and beyond...

I didn't see any specifics of the deal, but I think Solarcity has either calculated in cost reductions/depreciation,etc...to mitigate modeled inflation over time OR they might have a predetermined escalator built into the contract...

Would be be interesting to see the contact... Since this specific case is a government deal, there might be a public record floating around out there somewhere on the net.

The mayor stated that the price was fixed for the life of the contract which is 20 years. So the income will diminish with inflation over time. After 20 years it will be almost nothing. We're likely to experience some strong inflation at some point in the next few years. I keep hearing in this thread about how calculated cost reductions will mitigate this or that future risk. Cost reductions won't do anything for this contract with Quincy MA. As I understand it, most of their leases are drawn up under similar terms.

The mayor stated that the price was fixed for the life of the contract which is 20 years. So the income will diminish with inflation over time. After 20 years it will be almost nothing. We're likely to experience some strong inflation at some point in the next few years. I keep hearing in this thread about how calculated cost reductions will mitigate this or that future risk. Cost reductions won't do anything for this contract with Quincy MA. As I understand it, most of their leases are drawn up under similar terms.

How much inflation are you expecting and when? I would think the entire economy would suffer if high inflation hit. However, since the sun is a free feed stock, I would imagine solar energy production might experience a little less. But I get what you're saying about the fixed price. I guess in the case of greater then expected inflation things could get interesting with the fixed price model. However, if it gets bad economy wide, I'm thinking renegotiation would occur. Inflation would really hit traditional utilities prices, so even if you pay a higher solar bill, it might still be lower then the utility at that point. So, the mayor might welcome the renegotiation as opposed to terminating service due to breach of original contract.

Last edited:
your name is "futureproof", yet you downplay inflation risk... hmmmm

why would mayor renegotiate a winning hand if inflation comes?
would scty renegotiate if deflation comes?

If I was futureproof I would probably be riding around with Elon, Larry, and the bunch right now. Believe me, futureproof is purely aspirational...

as far as inflation, my guess is sensitivity analysis has been done, and Solarcity is comfortable with the numbers. But again, inflation could be a concern if unexpected rises occur. I personally, haven't hit the panic button in this regard, so of course, I'm a little more optimistic then some. I have yet to conclude a massive rise in inflation will occur in the near future or within a timespan of reasonable guesstimation...

I do think that inevitably, inflation will be our demise if we remain a fossil fuel based economy and the sooner we make a sustainable energy production and consumption economy the better... Hence, my specific investments in Scty and tsla.

Last edited:
Chandler adding more solar projects

Chandler, AZ prepaid 20 year ppa contract with Solarcity April 10th. Interesting article for SCTY critics and supporters alike.

update: I have noticed from SCTY lease/ppa contract holders in various article comments receive sometimes 3x the amount of energy they paid for over the course of a year. It is interesting that Solarcity does not charge them for the overproduction, but will pay the difference if it underperforms. Wonder if the competition does the same... Also wonder if this supports lease/ppa over system purchase in the wider market going forward...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.