Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting to the next steps. In the same page 80, I see Total Equity (which is Assets - Liabilities) grow from $280Mil in 2012 to $804Mil in 2013.

If I further normalize with Shares Outstanding at the end of each period, I get Book Value per Share of $3.74 at end of 2012 and $8.83 at end of 2013.

That is a growth of 136% over one year.

Continuing further, if we look at P/B currently it is at 7.

With the guidance provided, we can safely assume that P/B at the end of the year will be 3.5 or below. That is close to S&P 500's P/B of around 3.

Based on this calc, only this year's guidance is priced in.

Getting to the next steps. In the same page 80, I see Total Equity (which is Assets - Liabilities) grow from $280Mil in 2012 to $804Mil in 2013.

If I further normalize with Shares Outstanding at the end of each period, I get Book Value per Share of $3.74 at end of 2012 and $8.83 at end of 2013.

That is a growth of 136% over one year.

Sleepyhead, are you good so far with this?

Yes I am, but that just proves what I said that several years of growth are already priced into the stock.

If book value grows 100% this year then we are at $16. 100% next year and we are at $32. End of 2016 with 100% growth is $64 and finally catches up with today's valuation.

But can they do 100% over the next three years?

Maybe yes, maybe no. But you are still paying for earnings 3 years out.

Pretty soon growth rates will normalize, since you can't grow 100% every year forever. When does it normalize.

Also, with the price of solar systems coming down 20% every year, you need to grow 125% every year just to be able to grow your valuation by 100%, so it is a lot harder than for example TSLA where the cost of cars will be going up.

That is a huge disadvantage for solar companies in trying to grow into their valuation that goes completely ignored by almost everyone. This affects panel manufacturers as well, but they don't have sky high valuations to grow in to.

Why would anyone ever value a hyper growth company based on historical fundamentals? This coming from a Tesla bull is real weird. How can Tesla that sold 25K cars be worth $25Bil??

TSLA is the same story as SCTY with plenty of years of growth priced into the stock. The reason I like TSLA is that I believe that there is a 90% chance that the stock will one day be a 5-bagger from here.

With SCTY I put those odds at 70%, because it has a lot more risks than Tesla does in my opinion.

For that reason I stay away from SCTY, because there is a 30% chance in my book that SCTY still falls back more than 50% from today's price some time in the future.

If book value grows 100% this year then we are at $16. 100% next year and we are at $32. End of 2016 with 100% growth is $64 and finally catches up with today's valuation.

Sorry, but you missed a fundamental point. Stocks don't trade at P/B of 1. S&P 500 trades at a P/B of approx 3.

Not even utilities that grow at a rate of 2% trade at a P/B of 1. They trade at a P/B of around 1.7 to 2.

@HenryF - I don't have time anymore to debate this topic, but I think that you are using a dangerous method of comparing SCTY's book value to the S&P average, because it is a unique business model; and they just raised a lot of cash which doubled their book value but added no value to the stock price.

Let me just say that the SPWR will do about 150% more MW's than SCTY this year, and SPWR's MW's are a lot more lucrative than SCTY, because of their Power Plant business and premium pricing.

SPWR is valued at less than SCTY and at one point SCTY was double market cap of SPWR. I believe that once SPWR starts doing 2GW per year then it will be worth $5 - $6b in valuation.

So in order for SCTY to be worth its current valuation it will have to be consistently doing 2GW per year; and arguably a little more than that since SPWR commands premium pricing.

I don't know how to explain it to you, but IMO your methodology of valuing SCTY is extremely dangerous and tried to explain why it is flawed with the above example. I hope that you understand what I am trying to convey.

500MW per year is no where near close enough to justify a $5b valuation is the solar industry. You need to be doing 2-3 GW per year to justify such a valuation, and that is why I say that SCTY has several years of growth priced in.

I am sure that you have good intentions, but your math is extremely flawed.

Let me just say that the SPWR will do about 150% more MW's than SCTY this year, and SPWR's MW's are a lot more lucrative than SCTY, because of their Power Plant business and premium pricing.

I believe this is where the fundamental disconnect is. SPWR gets wholesale prices for it's electricity. SCTY gets retail prices.

In my own electric bill the difference is a factor of 3X

(supply charges vs delivery charges vs total charges is 1:2:3)

- - - Updated - - -

they just raised a lot of cash which doubled their book value but added no value to the stock price.

Cash raised through debt should have zero effect on Book Value (because cash will come on the asset side and debt will go on to the liability side).

To discount away the equity issuance: we can subtract the $181mil raised through equity. So it's $804mil - $181mil at end of 2013 vs 280mil at end of 2012. That's still a growth of 122.5%

To be honest I would be surprised if the GW deployment doubles and shareholder value doesn't.

Why wouldn't it?

If anything they are growing Retained Value at a faster pace than MW deployment (because of dramatic cost reductions). So I expect shareholder value to increase at 100% pace or stronger.

Last edited:
If anything they are growing Retained Value at a faster pace than MW deployment (because of dramatic cost reductions). So I expect shareholder value to increase at 100% pace or stronger.

Great discussion, thank you HenryF for your analysis of the 10-k numbers. Much, much appreciated!

Bob Kelly also noted how Solarcity's asset backed securitization will positively affect retained value as well. Since they are going to move more toward ABS, we should see this affect increase over the year and years to follow. Read the press release on the latest 250mln facility... they intend to refinance by putting the MWs installed from this debt out on the ABS market, so to me it seems to me much of it's current debt might be refinanced this way which would further increase retained value...

Going to be very interesting to see how this ABS strategy progresses for sure...

SPWR gets wholesale prices for it's electricity. SCTY gets retail prices.

This is the fundamental beauty of Net Metering which most people don't fully appreciate.

When you put solar panels on a rooftop and effectively make the utility bill 0 at the end of the year, you are getting the grid for free.

But in reality grid costs money. A lot of money. In fact where I live the grid is twice as expensive as the generation of electricity.

SCTY gets all 3dollars for a unit of electricity. SPWR makes 1dollar for that unit of electricity.

Yes I am, but that just proves what I said that several years of growth are already priced into the stock.

But can they do 100% over the next three years?

Maybe yes, maybe no. But you are still paying for earnings 3 years out.

Pretty soon growth rates will normalize, since you can't grow 100% every year forever. When does it normalize.

Also, with the price of solar systems coming down 20% every year, you need to grow 125% every year just to be able to grow your valuation by 100%, so it is a lot harder than for example TSLA where the cost of cars will be going up.

That is a huge disadvantage for solar companies in trying to grow into their valuation that goes completely ignored by almost everyone. This affects panel manufacturers as well, but they don't have sky high valuations to grow in to.

sleepyhead alluded to this already but I believe got tangled up in this discussion about growth; it makes no sense to look at book value and deduct earnings growth from it. It simply does not make sense. If that we're the case anyone could issue equity and claim earnings growth. For those who are new to the topic of valuation, when analysts refer to growth in the context of valuation they speak of earnings growth and not revenue or any other growth.

having said that there are industries (solar/utilities not being one of them) like banking where looking at bv makes sense for different reasons which go beyond the scope of this discussion

sleepyhead alluded to this already but I believe got tangled up in this discussion about growth; it makes no sense to look at book value and deduct earnings growth from it. It simply does not make sense. If that we're the case anyone could issue equity and claim earnings growth. For those who are new to the topic of valuation, when analysts refer to growth in the context of valuation they speak of earnings growth and not revenue or any other growth.

having said that there are industries (solar/utilities not being one of them) like banking where looking at bv makes sense for different reasons which go beyond the scope of this discussion

Firstly, I am NOT "deducing earnings growth" from book value growth.

I defined "growth" from Book Value, by properly offsetting the effect of share issuance in posts #166 second half and post #158.

We don't need to do all that. You can look at MWs deployed or look at growth in Retained Value. They all give you same answer: 100%+ growth per annum.

I'm further trying to answer the question, how many years of growth is priced in.

SCTY has P/B of 7.

S&P 500 has P/B of 3.

Effectively only about 1 years worth of growth is priced in!

It would be completely irrational to look at Income Statement with the given number of variables. The principle reason being: revenues are prorated over one-hundred-and-twenty (120) quarters. But Operating Expenses are NOT. This creates a fundamental disconnect between various lines of Income Statement.

In fact the faster they grow, the bigger losses they will produce because Operating Expenses will be pronouncedly larger. This will happen even if they finance their activities, remain cash flow positive and accumulate shareholder value at a very rapid pace.

Should higher growth be better or worse? Income Statement makes it look like it's worse.

This is also a primary reason why the stock generally falls after earnings release. Bigger the loss actually means faster they are growing. But market thinks: worse they are doing.

All this confusion creates short term volatility. But in the long run, it will all add up. The stock will be many multiples higher than today.

Last edited:
To add: I couldn't care less what "analysts" call growth, how they define it or how they measure it.

I started buying Tesla when it was $35. Most analysts had no clue as to how to value the company. They all chased the stock by it's tail until recently. Bank of America is still lost in ether. In fact most "financial" type folks were heavily shorting Tesla when it was $35. They still are. (of course old shorts left loosing the shirts, new short come in to replace them, this keeps on happening in cycles).

I have no idea which way SCTY will move in the short term. But in the long term I can see it very clearly multiplying many folds from here. By the time they reach their 1millionth customer, I'm fairly certain the stock will be at $300 or higher.

Sorry, but you missed a fundamental point. Stocks don't trade at P/B of 1. S&P 500 trades at a P/B of approx 3.

Not even utilities that grow at a rate of 2% trade at a P/B of 1. They trade at a P/B of around 1.7 to 2.

I believe this is where the fundamental disconnect is. SPWR gets wholesale prices for it's electricity. SCTY gets retail prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Cash raised through debt should have zero effect on Book Value (because cash will come on the asset side and debt will go on to the liability side).

To discount away the equity issuance: we can subtract the $181mil raised through equity. So it's $804mil - $181mil at end of 2013 vs 280mil at end of 2012. That's still a growth of 122.5%

To be honest I would be surprised if the GW deployment doubles and shareholder value doesn't.

Why wouldn't it?

This is the fundamental beauty of Net Metering which most people don't fully appreciate.

When you put solar panels on a rooftop and effectively make the utility bill 0 at the end of the year, you are getting the grid for free.

But in reality grid costs money. A lot of money. In fact where I live the grid is twice as expensive as the generation of electricity.

SCTY gets all 3dollars for a unit of electricity. SPWR makes 1dollar for that unit of electricity.

HenryF - you are using twisted logic to come to conclusions that support SCTY. You are extremely wrong in almost everything that you say.

You are wrong about using book value. JASO trades at 0.7x book value, so I guess that the stock should be 400% higher today to get to fair value using your logic.

You are wrong about the value you put to retail vs. wholesale.

You are wrong that SCTY's business model is more valuable than SPWR's.

And you are completely wrong on how you subtracted the $181m in equity raised from both 2013 and 2012 equity totals on balance sheet to show that SCTY still grew 122%. In fact, this example just shows that you are either not capable of doing 5th grade math or you are purposely misleading us. In either case, it makes all of your posts completely useless. edit: on this part, I just noticed that SCTY had to restated its financials for 2012, which led to a lower book value than previously reported and I was using the wrong financials on wsj once again, so please ignore this part of my post.

Having this discussion on valuation with you has been a complete waste of my time. I hope that you stop misleading people here, because everything that you say is wrong.

I really recommend ignoring what HenryF wrote about valuation. You can ignore everything what I said as well, but please do not use his twisted logic for valuation. Not only is it twisted, but it also has very simple math errors in it just to get to an answer that suits his agenda.

One last comment regarding the post futureproof made on SCTY being a safe haven investment in a recession: that is the absolute worst investment advice I have ever heard in my life (not kidding). If a recession is about to start then the first thing you want to do is dump SCTY (same goes for other solars, but especially SCTY).

Good luck to all SCTY investors here. I find it very odd that as soon as this thread was started, there have been new members that came to TMC only to discuss SCTY. At least a few of them sound like SCTY employees with the way they talk, using marketing speak language that SCTY uses to get customers.

To all my friends on TMC beware of these people who are extremely biased in their posts to a point where they will take the biggest negative for SCTY and twist it into a positive.

I am done wasting my time here. Buyer beware!

Last edited:
You are wrong about using book value. JASO trades at 0.7x book value, so I guess that the stock should be 400% higher today to get to fair value using your logic.

JASO is a different story. Market doesn't trust it's assets. Remember Sino-Forest?

- - - Updated - - -

You are wrong about the value you put to retail vs. wholesale.

You are wrong that SCTY's business model is more valuable than SPWR's.

Could you please explain how and why?

- - - Updated - - -

And you are completely wrong on how you subtracted the $181m in equity raised from both 2013 and 2012 equity totals on balance sheet to show that SCTY still grew 122%. In fact, this example just shows that you are either not capable of doing 5th grade math or you are purposely misleading us. In either case, it makes all of your posts completely useless.

Despite harsh words, I'll appreciate if you correct me with specifics.

- - - Updated - - -

One last comment regarding the post futureproof made on SCTY being a safe haven investment in a recession: that is the absolute worst investment advice I have ever heard in my life (not kidding). If a recession is about to start then the first thing you want to do is dump SCTY (same goes for other solars, but especially SCTY).

You haven't explained why.

You are expecting everyone here to take your statements at face value.

But you are cursing out the guys who provide detailed analysis and backup everything they say with solid data.

Regarding that last question, I was looking at SCTY's financials before they got restated, so I got confused where you got that $280m equity number at the end of 2012, so I edited the post above and asked to ignore that part.

Sorry for the harsh words, but I stand by everything else that I said that the rest of your posts all use twisted logic.

I think that anyone in their right mind can understand that 500MW of business per year does not equate to a $5b - $7b market cap.

It is pretty obvious to everyone, but you, that SCTY has several years of future growth already priced into its stock; just as TSLA or TWTR does. There is nothing wrong with that, but please lets not pretend that the stock has only priced in 2014 earnings.

IMO, SCTY has at least 2016 or possibly 2018 earnings already priced in. In 2015, the stock might have 2019 earnings already priced in, so there is still potential for the stock to move up, but you are playing a dangerous game if the market turns. The same applies to TSLA.

All of you guys trust Elon Musk here.

1) There is a reason why Musk didn't create a company to manufacture solar cells, modules and panels.

No he is not allergic to manufacturing. Tesla belongs to one the largest manufacturing industries in the world.

2) There is a reason why Musk didn't create a company which built solar power plants in dessert.

No he is not allergic to rough terrain. He wants to live and die on Mars!

3) There is a reason why he didn't choose to build any other energy company

4) Finally, there is a reason why he created SolarCity and put it right at the value chain that it sits today.

The place where SolarCity sits in the value chain is extremely lucrative. This is where the highest shareholder value and it's growth is.

They make 2/3rds of value off of the grid, without ever paying the grid! See my comments on comparison with SPWR.

This is exceptional Elon Musk genius.

(Infact that's the same reason why sleepyhead often vouches for buying vs leasing).

The financials especially Income Statement (Statement of Operations) kind of camouflages it as I explained numerous times here. They mentioned this couple of times in their early quarterly reports. Lyndon also mentioned this in on of the newspaper reports. I am unable to locate it. But will it here once I find it.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO, SCTY has at least 2016 or possibly 2018 earnings already priced in.

Just to understand very precisely. Is this your 'opinion'? or is this a conclusion based on rigorous analysis/reasonable pricing model?

- - - Updated - - -

This company is a true hidden gem. Well, not really. It's a rare precious stone which is on full display (thanks to Musk) but nobody knows how to value it.

Lets revisit this statement at set time periods.
- When SCTY hits 1million customers
- 5 years from now: in Apr 2019
- 10 years from now: in Apr 2024

I stand by everything I said and backed everything up with data and analysis.

HenryF - All I am trying to say is that you are using very aggressive assumptions in valuing SCTY, and are dangerously using cherry-picked multiples to prove your point.

I really don't have anything against SCTY, but I am just trying to ask people to make realistic assumptions and not discount risks. e.g.:

- I agree with you that net metering is awesome, but that is going away in California in 3 years, so any customer SCTY gets there in the second half of 2017 will not have net metering. Battery storage would offset this net metering only if it was free.

- You said that SCTY will be a 5-10 bagger in 5 years. I highly doubt they will have a $50b market cap in 5 years unless it is a huge bubble.

- You say that JASO is a special case and deserves its 0.7x price to book value, but SCTY is not special and deserves a market avg. of 3x. I hope that you can see the hypocrisy in that.

SCTY definitely has room to grow as a stock, but 1m customers is not as valuable as you think. If 1m customers is worth to you $20b, then you are doing math wrong. The whole electric industry is worth only $2 trillion, so $20b is 1% of that. And 1m customers is less than 0.1%, and probably less than 0.01% of the market share.

I just wanted to point out that you are overvaluing SCTY's business model by leaps and bounds.

I am starting to wonder if we are doing the same here with TSLA on TMC. Maybe we need to seriously start reevaluating our assumptions on TSLA and stop discounting all of the risks around.

you are using very aggressive assumptions in valuing SCTY

Actually, every single data point I used is either official guidance or public information (facts).

These are the only data points I used.
- Book Value and it's growth: 10K document
- Price to Book Value: basic math
- 100% growth rate: fact for past, guidance for future
- S&P 500's P/B: fact
- 1mil customer target: official guidance

I didn't use even a single "assumption".

- - - Updated - - -

are dangerously using cherry-picked multiples to prove your point.

There is really no choice. I will be very happy to take a look into any other metric that you point to. All I ask is that the metric(s) should normalize all cash flows to the same timeline.

We can use Retained Value. Then again we will come to same conclusions. That metric is even more controversial.

If I had a choice, trust me I would not waste all this time and energy talking about Book Value. I will talk about Earnings like all other normal people!

This confusion is also what makes it a remarkably undervalued stock (given it's growth rates).

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you that net metering is awesome, but that is going away in California in 3 years, so any customer SCTY gets there in the second half of 2017 will not have net metering. Battery storage would offset this net metering only if it was free.

This is a potential head-wind. This is yet another thing that SCTY needs to overcome with their savings in all-in-costs. Please do note though, the price of electricity goes up over time. So SCTY might be able to price their products higher. That's a tailwind that compensates for the head-wind to some degree.

Another thing to note, even last year net-metering was about to expire in CA. They simply extended it with a small grid connection fee. As far as I can tell, CA will not back down from Solar industry support.

- - - Updated - - -

You said that SCTY will be a 5-10 bagger in 5 years. I highly doubt they will have a $50b market cap in 5 years unless it is a huge bubble.

5-bagger as in 25B market cap will happen just with hitting 1mil customer mark. For 10-bagger, 50B market cap, to happen two things would have to happen in addition
a) They will set out a new target publicly. Say, 5mil customers in 5 years, or something like that.
b) Market will finally figure out how to value scty properly.

- - - Updated - - -

You say that JASO is a special case and deserves its 0.7x price to book value, but SCTY is not special and deserves a market avg. of 3x. I hope that you can see the hypocrisy in that.

Quite honestly, I don't know much about JASO. That comparison with Sino-Forest is a casual observation. JASO doesn't have a reporting entity in their native country. They have no financial reporting obligation there as far as I can tell. Ultimately, SCTY is a healthy growing company. To a casual observer like me, JASO is growing but it's not healthy (at least not yet).. All in all, I don't know much about JASO. So my comments about JASO don't have much credence. I agree.

- - - Updated - - -

SCTY definitely has room to grow as a stock, but 1m customers is not as valuable as you think. If 1m customers is worth to you $20b, then you are doing math wrong. The whole electric industry is worth only $2 trillion, so $20b is 1% of that. And 1m customers is less than 0.1%, and probably less than 0.01% of the market share.

Would you base TSLA's price targets based on GM's business model or any of the existing auto-majors or auto-industry as a whole. I believe there is a TMC google+ hangout where CapOp explained in depth how TSLA is fundamentally different from auto-companies. See here for related comment.

Similarly SCTY is fundamentally different that the existing electric industry model. Numbers will line up over time. But it won't be too long.

- - - Updated - - -

I am starting to wonder if we are doing the same here with TSLA on TMC. Maybe we need to seriously start reevaluating our assumptions on TSLA and stop discounting all of the risks around.

Quite the opposite actually. You should start to wonder how undervalued SCTY is, given it's growth rates. What a true rare gem it is and how all others are unable to see it.

- - - Updated - - -

your posts all use twisted logic.

All my posts over these many pages boil down to one and only one point.

Revenues are prorated over 120 quarters. Where as Operating Expenses are not getting prorated and are being recorded entirely in one shot.

That's two orders of magnitude difference!

Please pull up the Income Statement from the 10K document - Page 65 - Table: Results of Operations. Think through this for 1 second. You will see the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.