Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solar Summit 2014Greentech Media

Solarcity COO, Tanguy Serra, will be speaking at the Solar Summit this week on Tuesday, April 15th, at 9:30AM(PT). Could be interesting what he puts out there, maybe a hint here and there on some early Q1 numbers or Q2 outlook and beyond...

this, to my knowledge, is the first time he's spoken at a conference of this scale as a SolarCity exec, so, could be interesting in itself to see how he thinks and/or sees the future of Solarcity and solar in general...

This Week in Solar

It is interesting to see the argument of rising module costs as affecting Solarcity in a significant way... however, Solarcity itself has said in the Q4 conference call (and in previous quarters conf calls and briefs), that even as module costs have "stabilized," overall costs have reduced ahead of the planned 5.5% annual cost reduction rate... so much ahead, they've reduced costs over 30% in 2013.

That means, to me, they are doing a lot more cost savings in other areas outside panel costs...significantly more...

I've read that cost reductions in "balance of system, all payroll, customer acquisition, legal, and other overhead..." have made and continue to really drive things for Solarcity. In addition, below is from card 8 of Q4 presentation:

Reduction in Project Cycle Time Lowers Costs and Improves Customer Satisfaction:

*10 new operations centers in CA doubles presence in state to within 30 miles of >90% of the population.
*With additional openings in Blackwood, NJ and Seaford, DE, total operations centers up ~50% in 2013 to 46.
*Las Vegas facility centralizes account management and provides superior customer experience.
*Tanguy Serra promoted from EVP of Operations to COO as co-founder Peter Rive focuses exclusively on CTO role.

So, will a future potential 20% increase in module prices affect Solarcity's ability to continue 5.5% annual cost reduction plan? In my opinion, no it won't. Therefore, I think the focus on module prices is misplaced and should focus more on the other areas of costs reduction in order to figure out if growth will slow or accelerate going into 2015....

Last edited:
I'm new to this board and just spent the last 2 days or so reading the 23 pages of replies on this subject. I have a lot to say about this company and how I envision it growing massively over the next 5-10 yrs. I see a lot of fighting about perceived "risks" and a lot of that is just pure fear due to lack of imagination by the naysayers.

Lease vs. PPA: Many people do not have the money to buy nor the time to maintain the system. 33% market share and most of it being leased is proof that leasing option is preferred. I'm the type of guy that will not lease anything, but I"m a risk taker. My 65 yr old mother would never buy a solar system, but she'd surely lease one without a doubt. There is no argument to be had on this subject. Car leasing is a perfect example of why there is no reason to argue about leasing ANYTHING.

20 years from now: Why is everyone so worried about 20 yrs from now? These solar panels are assets to SCTY for the entire 35 yrs they should be operational. If 90% of the people renew the lease at the 20yr mark, that means 10% did not. So worst case scenario is SCTY will take the solar panels off the roof and either lease them again to a governmental agency, another homeowner or just sell them to the highest bidder. That may be a local installer or a DIYer who wants to put up their own system. The best way to increase the 90% re-lease rate is to offer a discount for the last 10-15 yrs left on the panels. Instead of being at 10-15% savings over local utility maybe they can increase it to 20%.

Inflation: Everyone experiences inflation and some of the worst inflation over the next 20 yrs will be gas/oil/coal/nuclear. This actually helps SCTY, not hurt them. As the price of fossil fueled energy increases and the cost of renewables decrease, it makes the shift towards renewables even easier 20 yrs from now. I actually saw someone argue the point that we don't know what fossil fuels will do in the future. It's a sure bet they will be much more expensive 20 yrs from now.

Book value vs. SP500: I really enjoyed the calculations used for the book value argument vs. the SP500. If book value for SCTY happens to be 8x today and growth is 70% compounded for the next 5 years then compare that to SP500 book value at 3x with minimal growth rates. What's SP500 growth rate expected to be for the next 5 years??? 10%? 15%? It's a long ways from 70% and it's not a fair comparison to suggest 8x book being expensive when 3x book on the SP500 seems fair today.

Sourcing panels: In 20yrs (or much sooner) I'm sure SCTY will be creating their own panels to shakeup the marketplace. It's very likely that they could buy a panel maker, redesign them slightly and put them out on the market under their own brand. They will be the leading installer so why not brand their own and become a leading manufacturer? They can build a gigafactory of their own right next Elon's battery factory for all we know. They have mastered installing/servicing/financing panels, why can't they start producing them as well?

Volatility: The stock price volatility can easy be seem by people panicking whenever news comes out that is not perfectly foreseen by the market. Even the smallest news can move the stock 10% in a day and most people cannot handle that volatility. Most short-minded traders can't handle watching a stock rise 200% without being tempted to short it just because "it's too high". Usually those types of folks are stampeded on the way up when a company continually hits their goals over and over. If you do not understand this stock, don't short it. The longs outnumber you and you're going to lose big. Wait until the company starts missing it's goals before you grow hostile and try to take it down.

Tax credits: Once 2017 rolls around the 30% drop to 10% is not going to be a big deal to solar's growth. Keep in mind by 2017 we should see all energy prices higher and solar panel cost lower. The #1 marketing tool for SCTY right now is referrals. By 2017 as SCTY penetrates deeper in the 14 states it services, people will jump on the leasing bandwagon and cut back on fossil fuel energy. If SCTY keeps a referral program in place this will help spread the word and keep the 70% forward looking growth targets in view.

Labor growth: Mr. Rive in one of the videos posted in this thread made an interesting point that every 6 months they can almost double their installation crew. Junior crew members quickly learn how to install the system fast so they become Sr. crew members and possibly within a year could be running their own crew. I do not see a reason why SCTY cannot keep growing at 100% growth as long as the labor force and panels are available. The market is certainly there and the price is right. Just because SCTY keeps doubling doesn't mean it has to stop being "it's too large". 1 million installations out of 42 million roof tops is a HUGE market. Everyone should be thinking much bigger numbers. Everyone has a cell phone today but 20 yrs ago very few had them. When 25% of the homes are covered in panels THEN I'll start believing in the saturation theories people whine about.

Recession: This has to be the one arguments that I happen to believe is very weak. A recession would be great for SCTY. People want/MUST save money during a recession. What's the fastest way to save money --- have your electricity bill cut by 10% or more? SCTY will increase market share during a recession out of the sheer number of $0 down loans that will dry up for the other panel installers. The banks will cut back on lending and not fund panel loans or home equity lines. This will hurt the local installers that cannot lease their systems. Anyone not leasing systems during a recession will lose their potential customers to SCTY. I cannot think of any reason why a recession would hurt SCTY unless ABS dried up. Why would ABS dry up? It's less-risky than a conventional mortgage. People pay their electric bill before they pay the mortgage. It's a 20 year low-default rate debt that is likely never going to be refinanced. Mortgages are good for 9 years on average and we all know default rates on mortgages are high during recessions. The money for ABS is never going to dry up.

Storage: The battery technology will help SCTY keep it's edge over the competition. It's the main thing that actually sets them apart from the rest in the future as others will adopt the leasing program. It's hasn't come to reality 100% yet so I think most people are discounting whether the battery production will happen or not. If netmetering is cut back in 2017 there will be a huge rush to SCTY if they can provide those batteries in time, whether free or added value leases.

I am in the mortgage business and over the past 25 years Quicken Loans has taken as much at 80% of the online market share for mortgages. Let's not pretend 33% for SCTY is a high number. It can go higher. I believe it will go higher. It's an industry were efficiency and service will dominate, not the "quality" of the panels. If SCTY is viewed by most as being the best servicer of their energy needs and they are efficient at delivering the panels quickly then they should dominate the field. These mom/pop shops are never going to gain traction to gain market share. They just don't have the technology or experience to compete with SCTY. I believe the industry will consolidate as time goes by. The 80/20 rule should be in full effect soon whereby 80% of the solar installations will be done by 20% of the companies offering the service. When you have a SCTY office within 30 miles of 90% of the CA population, you have the entire state covered. I believe that's 12% of the entire population of the country already covered by the SCTY net. Which state is next?

I see a lot of fighting about perceived "risks" and a lot of that is just pure fear due to lack of imagination by the naysayers.

Welcome to TMC. Just a heads-up, coming in with your first post suggesting experienced investors here are scared because they lack imagination is not so cool. Many people here have been investors in Tesla since the early days, that has required plenty of imagination and plenty of guts to stick with it.

Discuss the merits, leave the personal stuff out of it. Thanks.

@thebanker, wow, big post, like it... My favorite quote: "It's an industry were efficiency and service will dominate, not the "quality" of the panels." I echo this sentiment. Hope to read more of your "mega posts."

@davet, I've been lurking since 2012, not much for posting on too many sites, but was motivated to start here recently. Hope to hear more of your "mega" thoughts on Solarcity as well...

Solar panels to save Long Beach Unified $2 million over next 25 years

i think this is another ppa contract, but for 25 years? 805kws for long beach school district up and running at the end of March. This is another long term, high quality, reliable revenue stream that will pull in further low cost ABS in the future....

SolarCity's Musk Ethos

@davet, I've been lurking since 2012, not much for posting on too many sites, but was motivated to start here recently. Hope to hear more of your "mega" thoughts on Solarcity as well...

Just got done reading through all the pages here. I'll start sharing some of my SCTY thoughts here. I've posted some long posts on SCTY in the past (on the old thread) so it kind of feels I might be re-hashing some of what I've posted in the past. But we'll see where it leads.

Here's a few starter points:

1. International expansion - one thing that people are missing here on this thread is the inevitable international expansion of SolarCity. In a recent conference call, Lyndon Rive noted that they've discussed international expansion in the past and it's likely to come this year. They'll probably acquire an existing company in a target overseas country and basically re-brand that company into SolarCity with all of SolarCity's systems (ie., marketing, ordering, system design, installation, maintenance, financing, etc). This will allow them to expand much quicker than if they were to start from scratch in another country.

2. The Musk ethos - Tesla, SpaceX and SolarCity all have a religious fervor to cut costs on all levels through constant and unending iteration. This is the main competitive advantage of SolarCity. One example is with their acquisition of Zep Solar (ie., see mount installation, Zep Solar ZS Tile Installation video | RENVU.com - YouTube). Solarcity installation teams are now able to install 2 systems in a single day with Zep's fast-install mounts. And with the Musk ethos, they will continue to improve their mounting systems even further.

Some people look at SolarCity as an installation company but I think that's missing the point. SolarCity is really just getting started. Here's how I look at their evolution.

1. Early stages (2006-2011) - discovering how to thrive in the solar industry. Focus on the high value-add first (ie., bringing down costs of design, install, finance, etc).

2. Ramp (2012-2014)
- scale lease financing (ie., raising funds, etc)
- bring down customer acquisition costs (ie., acquiring Paramount Solar will help)
- automate via software (ie., internal processes, customer management and customer portals)
- ramp installation (ie., massive expansion of installation teams, acquisition of ZEP solar mounting, etc)

3. Ramp #2 (2015-2018)
- continue cost reduction efforts religiously on all fronts (customer acquisition/marketing, design, installation, equipment, maintenance, etc).
- continue to scale lease/PPA funding, maybe even crowdfunding (ie., SolarCitys acquisition of Common Assets points to a new investment strategy - Local: In The Peninsula )
- expand internationally
- reach 1 million customers

Also, this is speculation but I think within the next 1-2 years that SolarCity will get into their own inverters (either release their own or acquire an existing company). Lyndon Rive hinted during a recent conference call that they wouldn't do micro inverters but could do inverter(s) mounted at the side of the roof (my paraphrase). I envision SolarCity's new/future inverters to be possibly some kind of micro inverter (but maybe not as small as current micro inverters, so maybe "small" inverters) that are mounted to the side of the roof and can be easily expanded. For example, if SolarCity needed to add several more panels to an existing system, they could add one or two of their "small" inverters to the system to add more panels. Basically, these "small" inverters would work similarly to micro inverters but they wouldn't need one for each panel (maybe one for 5 panels or so) and they would be chained together so you could add as many panels as you want in the future. One of the current disadvantages of micro inverters is that when they fail it's a pain to replace (since their attached to a single panel on the roof). By installing their own "small" inverters on the side of the roof/house, it'll be easy for Solarcity to replace any failed inverters and they can add more inverters/panels as well. It's the best of both worlds.

Ironically, I don't think Solarcity will get into making their own solar panels. I think they'll be taking over every other part of the process (ie., marketing, design, installation, mounts, inverters, monitoring, etc) but I think they'll leave panels to other companies since I think panels are/will be a low-margin business and it's advantageous to have access from multiple/many suppliers.

4. Ramp #3 (2019-2025)
By expanding internationally, Solarcity will probably be able to expand to 5-10 million customers by 2025 or so. This is my speculation but it's based on me betting the SolarCity will have the lowest costs and will offer the best overall product (ie., ease of signup, monitoring, transfer, scaling battery storage, etc).

5. Ramp #4 (2026-2040)
This is when it gets really juicy with stationary storage becoming much more affordable. If SolarCity can continue their cost reduction efforts (ie., with the Musk ethos) and iterate religiously, then they will become increasingly dominant in residential and commercial installation. I can see SolarCity eventually have 50-100m customers by 2040 (ie., remember international expansion).

Another huge area of possible SolarCity profit expansion is into the home improvement arena. Since SolarCity is monitoring energy production and usage, they can recommend various home improvement items to make one’s house more energy-efficient. For example, new windows, insulation, tankless water heater, attic fan, HVAC, etc. Initially, SolarCity can make money off of referral fees but eventually I think this part of the business can be very large and thus SolarCity would probably want their own division installing and maintaining these items. Their main competition in this field is probably Nest (recently acquired by Google).

SCTY vs Chinese Solar

I know there’s a lot of folks here that are invested in Chinese solar. Here are some thoughts on SCTY vs Chinese solar. I like certain Chinese solar companies - most notably, CSIQ… and TSL and perhaps JKS. The most important factor I look at is management and how these companies are approaching their growth strategies. In my opinion, I think the panel business is limited since it’s very crowded and it’s somewhat of a low margin business. However, I like CSIQ, TSL and JKS not because they are solar panel manufacturers but rather because they are aggressively entering the utility-scale solar installation field. This utility-scale solar arena is much higher margin than panel production and there’s a huge future ahead for the companies that can deliver a strong product/offering in this field. So far, the Chinese companies like CSIQ, TSL and JKS have a lot of advantages in that they are integrating the complete panel/module manufacturing process and achieving some really amazing low costs. They can then leverage this to offer utility-scale installations are very attractive prices. To me, this is where the largest growth will happen with certain Chinese solar companies. In other words, I don’t think the panel business alone is sexy enough (ie., not high enough margin and is not growing fast enough) to justify high multiples when valuing these Chinese solar companies. However, when these companies are able to grow rapidly into utility-scale projects, I think margins will improve and the companies will look more attractive. They can continue to grow their panel business as well by building more plants and by acquiring other companies.

The Chinese solars have had a huge run in 2013 and have rallied from a place of being grossly undervalued to being maybe slightly under-valued (and certain companies being already fairly valued). Certain companies still probably have some way to go to become fairly valued but the majority of the huge run toward being fairly valued probably has already passed. (Note: I’m not saying companies like CSIQ’s stock won’t increase a lot, I’m just saying not as fast as in 2013. I can see CSIQ doubling or more from it’s current $25 price within a year, so I think companies like CSIQ are actually a very good near-mid term investment if you’re looking 1-3 years out. Actually, I recommend those wanting to invest in solar to check out CSIQ. I think they have the best management among non-SCTY solar stocks and their prospects look very good. Also, currently CSIQ is off 44% from it’s all-time high. I love buying great companies when they’ve fallen at least 40% from their ATHs. CSIQ, I think, can be a great enduring company and I’d choose it over TSL, JKS, SPWR, etc.).

So while I’m a big fan of CSIQ, I’m a even bigger fan of SCTY. In my opinion, SCTY has better management and they’ve got a better business model (at least with residential and commercial). Here’s how I look at… the solar industry is growing at a fast rate, but there’s limited profit to be made. By “limited” I don’t mean small but rather that companies need to have a good business model to extract profit out of areas of high value-add. In other words, even though solar is growing fast not all companies will make a lot of profit in the field. Rather, it’ll likely be a few big winners that take the majority of the profits in the solar industry. It’s easy for a company to release a product in an area of low value-add (ie., something that everyone else is already doing) but they’ll be faced with huge obstacles in extracting large profits. So, the key in the solar industry is for a company to analyze all the possible areas to extract profit from and to choose the areas that offer the highest value-add (ie., in other words, areas that other companies aren’t excelling at and there’s still a lot of margin to be made).

SolarCity, directed by the insight of Elon Musk, chose to go after not panels (or equipment) but after the rest of the solar system for residential and commercial. In other words, they saw solar panel manufacturing as an area where companies are already competing aggressively in and where margins where already low. Further, the bulk of the extraneous cost of a solar system lies in the other parts of the system - marketing/customer acquisition, design, permits, installation, etc. So, SolarCity decided to go after the non-panel (and non-inverter) parts of a solar system in hopes that they could go weed out the greatest existing inefficiencies in the system and thereby achieve the highest margins. One of their first/biggest problems to solve was the lack of funding available for house owners to install solar systems. Through their various funding vehicles SolarCity has managed to put together an impressive system to fund and lease solar systems, and they’re doing it better than anyone else in the business. Besides funding, SolarCity also has invested huge amounts of resources into developing their own systems to manage customer acquisition, internal process, design and permitting, installation, monitoring, etc. Further, with the acquisition of Zep Solar last year, SolarCity is now going into some of the hardware of the system (ie., mounts). I expect SolarCity to continue as I mentioned above to expand in this hardware area with inverters.

SolarCity’s value-add to the customer is they’re saying, “We’ll give you clean energy at the cheapest price with the most convenience.” This might sound all good, but it’s extremely difficult to do. It’s a very high-value add when you combine all the areas that need to be done right to achieve this end goal/result.

Now, some might disagree with SolarCity’s value-add proposition, and I can understand. If one purchases a system outright, typically it likely works out to be a better deal over the long-term. In my personal research, I’ve interviewed several local installers and I found they charge a very large markup for their services. I’ve looked into the possibility of just buying a solar system kit (ie., panels, inverter, mount, etc) and what it would take to do the design/permit process myself and have an installer just do the installation. But it turns out to be quite complicated and that’s why solar installers typically charge a very large markup.

Also, while some people have access to funding themselves (ie., cash, HELOC, etc) others aren’t so keen to take out a loan or to use cash that they might not have to outright purchase a solar system. Granted, if you have a lot of cash laying around purchasing a system makes a lot of sense.

Some people view SolarCity as mainly a financing company, but I disagree. Financing/leasing/PPA is one of the key aspects of the company, but the main ethos of the company is to drive down costs in all areas to offer the most appealing product possible to the customer.

Generally speaking (of course there could be exceptions), currently no other company does solar financing (on a large scale) better than SCTY. No other company does design, permitting, and installation more efficiently than SolarCity. And no other company offers a more convenient experience than SolarCity.

As SolarCity improves all areas of their business (financing, marketing/customer acquisition, design/permitting, installation, mounts, monitoring, offering other home improvement products, etc), their value-add proposition (We’ll give you clean energy at the cheapest price with the most convenience.”) will grow stronger and stronger. This will be the key impetus in driving their future growth to millions of customers (hopefully).

Risk Factors

Now there are important risk factors with SCTY. One can read their annual report and find a whole list of them. However, I think the key is the rate of customer acquisition. Let me explain.

In order to justify super high earning multiples in their valuation, SolarCity must exhibit very fast growth. It’s SolarCity’s growth that makes it a sexy stock (ie., hopes of world domination, etc). However, if their growth slows and, for example, they aren’t able to hit their 1 million customer goal by mid-2018 then the stock could get hit hard. (Note: SCTY's stock price is factoring in future growth several years out and will continue to go higher if growth continues at a rapid pace but will get hammered if growth slows/tapers more than expected.)

One of the key weaknesses in the SolarCity business model is the high customer acquisition costs. SolarCity doesn’t have a very viral product. Sure, there’s some word-of-mouth referral but the majority of new installations come from their aggressive marketing and customer acquisition campaigns. In Q3 of last year customer acquisition expenses worked out to be about $2000/customer (SolarCity - Crisis or Opportunity? | Alternative Energy Stocks). One of the reasons, SolarCity spends this much money to acquire a customer is because IMO SolarCity’s offerings aren’t super sexy. In other words, if they were super sexy (ie., super cheap, etc) then customers would be raving about them and evangelizing all their friends. However, since this isn’t the case, SolarCity needs to spend money to acquire customers and it’s not cheap.

One of the reasons SolarCity’s offering isn’t viral is because it’s a very mundane product and proposition (ie., save some money on your energy bill). It also largely depends how much a person will save by switching to SolarCity from their current energy provider. If everyone could save 40% of their energy bill by switching, then SolarCity probably wouldn’t need to spend anything on customer acquisition because people would be flooding their phone lines. However, when/if SolarCity only saves them 10-15% of their energy bill, then it becomes much more of a hassle to switch to SolarCity (because of the perceived unknowns of a solar) and thus SolarCity needs to spend a lot of money to educate and persuade.

So, can SolarCity keep driving down costs and pass it along to its new customers to make their offering more and more attractive over time (thus making the product more viral and driving down customer acquisition costs? I think they can but it will be challenging.

Also, owning a solar system is inherently more sexy than leasing a solar system, especially as long as there’s net metering (ie., California passed a regulation where people can keep net metering for 20 years as long as they install their systems by mid-2017, California says current solar owners can cash in off their excess power for 20 years | 89.3 KPCC). If someone (or some company) can figure out a way to allow people to own their own solar systems in net-metering friendly states and to do so with easy/competitive financing, then this could be very appealing (and could become viral). I’ve thought about this quite a bit and it’s quite a big challenge. There are certain cities/counties where attractive funding/financing for solar already exists. In those areas, I think companies could provide a path to solar ownership for customers that might be more appealing than what SolarCity can offer. But in the majority of cities, there needs to be some very aggressive way to lower costs of design/permitting/installation. One can already buy a solar system kit (panels, inverter, mounts) for fairly inexpensive. If there can be a way where people can crowdsource (or open source) the design/permitting process and even open up installation to a super efficient bidding system, then it might be possible to drive down these design/permitting/installation costs to make it much more affordable to install a solar system. In other words, I think SolarCity could be at risk but something revolutionary and scalable needs to be created to make affordable solar ownership a reality. To me, this is probably the biggest risk as a SCTY investor.

Early on in the thread sleepyhead was making a point that owning solar is better (ie., more appealing) than leasing. I think he was trying to address this risk factor for SolarCity, meaning if there’s a cost-competitive way to own solar than it’s more appealing to the end customer than leasing. I think this is a valid point. For someone to have a fully-paid off solar system is very appealing, especially if they’ve got net metering for the next 20 years guaranteed (ie., in California). In 20 years, stationary storage will be much more affordable and as long as someone has the money they can go completely off the grid with a large enough stationary storage unit. Now, that’s sexy.

The reality though is that most people will probably not be owning their own system but rather be buying energy in a similar manner as they do now, except the new utility will be SolarCity and the energy will be clean and cheaper. But again, if there was an easy and scalable way to own solar for the average Joe who has very little in his bank account, then yes that is a risk factor for SolarCity’s business model. I don’t think it ruins SolarCity completely (as there will probably always be a sizable leasing/PPA market, but it sure will put a damper on things). I think the risk is low to moderate since there’s a capital cost to be paid for a solar system and that cost needs to be paid over time, and that financing usually doesn’t come for cheap, meaning there’s an interest rate and cost to be had. So, if someone doesn’t have cash up front, then they’re going to be paying monthly payments and that’s an arena that SolarCity plays well in.

In the event where there’s a disruptive, revolutionary business model where it allows people to own their solar system via affordable monthly payments, then SolarCity could adjust it’s model to compete. However, where it gets tricky is if the disruptive/revolutionary model is so disruptive that it uses crowdsourcing/open-source/transparent-bidding to make the design/permitting/installation process much cheaper. In other words, a new disruptive model could basically suck the majority of the profit out of the design/permit/installation process (ie., opensource/crowdsource the design and permitting process and have a transparent bidding system for installation) then there might not be much profit to be made for companies like SolarCity. I think the likelihood of this happening in such a manner that it displaces SolarCity is low but it’s something that should be acknowledged and considered.

SCTY at $53.70

So, I’ve shared some pros and cons of SCTY as stock and company and I’ll end with some final words on the stock price. SCTY closed at $53.70 last Friday, down 39% from it’s all-time high of $88.35. While I don’t have time to share about a valuation model for SCTY in this post (I might do it later), I can say that I like buying stellar companies when they’re on the operating table (Warren Buffett quote). Who knows how far SCTY will drop with the current market correction happening but at these levels (especially at almost 40% from the ATHs), I think if you’re a big Elon Musk fan and you don’t own any SCTY, then I’d say it’s a decent time to get in and buy some SCTY shares. Sure, it could go lower (ie., $50 or even $45 but chances are fairly low it dips under $45 IMO) but then again it could recover as well. Nobody really knows. But in the long-term, I like having a position in SCTY because Elon Musk is chairman of the board and largest shareholder. He inspires the companies with his values and the Musk Ethos has brought SolarCity this far and it will likely lead it to much better places ahead.

- - - Updated - - -

For reference, here's some old posts I wrote on SCTY from several months ago. Some of it might be outdated since SCTY has released better info since but it gives some more background on my thoughts with SCTY.
Understanding SolarCity (8/13/13) - Alternative Energy Investor Discussions (formerly SCTY thread) - Page 74
More thoughts on SolarCity (8/18/13) - Alternative Energy Investor Discussions (formerly SCTY thread) - Page 76
SCTY’s focus to drive down costs (11/6/13) - Alternative Energy Investor Discussions (formerly SCTY thread) - Page 208

Thanks for the excellent analysis, Dave. I'm considering dipping into SCTY myself as an Elon play regardless of my reservations about the long-long term viability (10+ years) of the leasing vs. panel sales model, but am already fairly significantly into Elon with TSLA and haven't jumped in yet. Always value your well-reasoned analysis.

Thanks for the excellent analysis, Dave. I'm considering dipping into SCTY myself as an Elon play regardless of my reservations about the long-long term viability (10+ years) of the leasing vs. panel sales model, but am already fairly significantly into Elon with TSLA and haven't jumped in yet. Always value your well-reasoned analysis.

Agreed, thanks for the analysis DaveT. I have some comments/questions for you, but don't have time to post them now and will try to do so later.

@FluxCap - I don't have any worries that the lease model will survive, but if it doesn't then SCTY can very easily transition back to selling systems instead of leasing. My biggest long-term question market with SCTY is that their lease model is going to have to significantly reduce margins in the future, because those are not sustainable as competition moves in. Their business model has no proprietary advantage and anyone with deep pockets can easily replicate this business model if margins are too high. Case in point is Vivint, who went from 0 to second biggest installer last year; because it is backed by deep pocket private equity firms.

Lease or sell - SCTY can do both. I am sure that the company will prosper and the stock will go up, but once margins contract I do not expect no 5-10 bagger out of SCTY in 5 years like some people here are expecting.

Agreed, thanks for the analysis DaveT. I have some comments/questions for you, but don't have time to post them now and will try to do so later.

@FluxCap - I don't have any worries that the lease model will survive, but if it doesn't then SCTY can very easily transition back to selling systems instead of leasing. My biggest long-term question market with SCTY is that their lease model is going to have to significantly reduce margins in the future, because those are not sustainable as competition moves in. Their business model has no proprietary advantage and anyone with deep pockets can easily replicate this business model if margins are too high. Case in point is Vivint, who went from 0 to second biggest installer last year; because it is backed by deep pocket private equity firms.

Lease or sell - SCTY can do both. I am sure that the company will prosper and the stock will go up, but once margins contract I do not expect no 5-10 bagger out of SCTY in 5 years like some people here are expecting.

I hear you on that, but I continue to wonder about the business model. My current theory is that if panel prices come down to levels that make installation on new/existing homes a super-desirable/no-brainer perk for home buyers, then it seems that companies that have branded themselves as installers with great service, support and prices might fare better than companies that branded themselves as primarily leasers in the longer-term (i.e. 5-10 years out).

I have little doubt that Elon will work his magic as long as he is involved in the company though, and the potential for valuable "cross-pollination" with Tesla Motors is certainly significant.

I hear you on that, but I continue to wonder about the business model. My current theory is that if panel prices come down to levels that make installation on new/existing homes a super-desirable/no-brainer perk for home buyers, then it seems that companies that have branded themselves as installers with great service, support and prices might fare better than companies that branded themselves as primarily leasers in the longer-term (i.e. 5-10 years out).

I have little doubt that Elon will work his magic as long as he is involved in the company though, and the potential for valuable "cross-pollination" with Tesla Motors is certainly significant.

I know what you meant, but wanted to point out that panel prices are already cheap ~$0.60 - $0.70 per Watt in the US, but SCTY installs and sells systems for $4 - $4.50 (from the quotes I have seen). So panels make up only less than 20% of the cost, while the rest is BoS costs and other soft costs. BTW, GTM research is predicting panel costs to go up to $0.80 - $0.85 in the US in the second half of 2014, because supplies are going to run low as panel manufacturers won't be able to keep up with demand if the economy holds up.

In the near future, residential systems will be installed for ~$2/watt. Theshadows already installs them for ~$3/watt today.

This is a problem when investing in the solar industry, because prices will come down as technology scales and gets cheaper, but also when permitting and other costs (such as financing) come down. You need to grow in size by 20%-30% per year just to keep revenues flat YoY. This applies to all companies in the solar industry.

So SCTY is selling systems for $4/watt today and will be selling them at $2/watt in the future to stay competitive.

Does anyone know what the current spread is for the average SCTY lease vs. the average electricity rate?

For example, if SCTY is charging .08/Kwh and most utilities average .14/Kwh then the "spread" is .06.

Over the next year or two as the economy picks up and costs continue to decline for SCTY, shouldn't this "spread" widen? Utility rates always go up during economic growth, at least for the past 10 years. Assuming this spread widens .01/Kwh every couple years, shouldn't this cause people to move to leasing even faster than they currently are?

I don't see how the "margins" are going to decrease. No competitor entering the leasing segment of solar is going to be able to do it cheaper than SCTY due to size alone and the lack of a track record should keep their capital costs higher than SCTY in the ABS market if they go that route.

I don't think people are factoring in the rising costs of fossil fuels enough. Any risks to SCTY regarding a more competitive solar business should be offset by rising utility rates.

If SCTY just cuts their costs by 3% a year and utility rates go up by 3% a year that really helps speed up the decision to make the switch to solar. This should bring down SCTY's marketing costs as well. I see an enormous positive feedback loop here if you can imagine all the moving parts in both the fossil and renewable costs. They are headed in opposite directions.....

@thebanker, agreed. Maybe COO Tanguy Serra could shed more light on this utility vs. solar costs tomorrow at his 930 talk... I think this is one of the topics of discussion for his session.

Also, i think it will be hard for us to compare $/watt without having two competing contracts to view here. Please provide links. Until we do that, very hard to accept statements point to one company or another being a better value to a potential customer than Solarcity... also, every state has different pricing and values so difficult to use just one contract to normalize all the rest... Maybe the only way we can see if Solarcity lease/ppa isn't working or not being a value add to customers is by reviewing the q1 numbers on bookings as well as lease/ppa revenue vs system sales. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to track/validate ppa/lease success vs. the wider market of system sales?

@davet, thanks for the great post, enjoy hearing your thoughts in such detail... I agree about international expansion. I think Zep will be the initial method of how they will expand into foreign markets. Management seems to indicate japan being a primary target, as well as Australia.

A Tribute to Zep Solar

Can't forget that zep acquisition has made Solarcity a manufacturing company as well. The mounting system scaling will be cheaper, more innovative, and responsive to changing tech and market conditions. Plus, they can sell mounting systems to everyone else, and as the industry grows, this could turn into a lucrative profit center in unto itself.
I have to disagree on the effectiveness of word of mouth referrals... Lyndon rive has said referrals is a huge part of the business... Over 40% of its current business. So, I think if one person in a community gets Solarcity, you tend to find the rest of the block will go Solarcity as well... This is key to their continued compounding in my opinion... I feel over the course of this year we should see a nice reduction in acquisition costs ... Maybe reflect best in the future q4 numbers I think....

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the cost of leasing in CA vs. the electric utility. Maybe someone involved with a SCTY lease in CA can chime in. Instead of looking at a 10% discount, maybe think about 10% turning to 11% into 12% and just seeing the spread widen over the next couple of years. Commodities have sold off (uranium/coal) and NatGas has turned higher in the past 18 months. I don't see NatGas going lower and coal has definitely bottomed for the foreseeable future provided we don't end up in another recession. Uranium is turning up as well since Japan is turning the reactors back on soon. There's no doubt in my mind utility rates will keep climbing with GDP 2%+.

I think I read it's taking up to 4 months to get a SCTY system installed. That shows margins are very healthy. We shouldn't worry about margins until it's taking < 30 days to get a system installed. Same goes with delivery of TSLA cars. It's funny people are talking about TSLA auto peaking in the US already and they don't realize they can't build right size/left size cars at the same time! The time delay to put panels on the roof is the best indicator of healthy margins in my book. I would also assume leasing is 65% of the business and should stay that way regardless of price. If leasing were to drop to 50% of installs I'm sure SCTY would drop the leasing rate accordingly.

If SCTY doesn't already have one, they should consider developing a long term maintenance contract for those that do buy the system. Basically insurance. Everyone loves insurance.

Does anyone have any details on the time it takes SCTY to install panels now vs. 1 year ago? For example if it took 3 months to install panels a year ago and 4 months to install them today, that would suggest stronger growth momentum. The number of units in backlog doesn't matter cause the install crews are growing fast. Any links to track this backlog would be appreciated.

@thebanker, I think the rate has increased from .4 installs/crew/day to .9 installs/crew/day. (Bob Kelly Roth conf. 2014). This is over 100% improvement from before zep acquisition to march2014. I also think I remember lyndon saying at CPUC talk with Elon that they are at or near the 3 month mark from contract to finish now. If that's the case, we could start seeing booking and completion date happen in the same quarter which would be a big milestone, IMO.

from my estimates based on 1.51/watt retained value and knowing the total number of MWs, the backlog is currently at roughly 129MWs(I'm out of town right now so I don't have the number in front of me right now so off the top of my head). If this is anywhere near accurate, it shows they are really chipping away from 2012/2013 backlog and are now getting to the point accelerating bookings through expanded marketing. I remember lyndon saying saying he was excited to really let paramount opening up its m&a efforts in order to bring in the bookings... Based on the the record q1 bookings thus far, looks like it might be working. Lyndon did say the installing capability now supports increased bookings, so we might see higher install numbers for q2 guidance.

If they follow their current pattern, they should guide for 98-102MWs installed for Q2... Anything over this estimate will indicate they will deliver over 525Mws by year end, IMO...

I think we are talking about separate things. I was talking about the backlog in terms of contract to install delay. I realize the crews are growing fast so the size of the backlog is meaningless. In terms of customer service a short backlog is excellent.

If you know anything about the CA energy market, I'd love to know the spread between the cost of leasing a system per KwH vs. buying from the utility. Keeping track of that spread would be interesting to see if it widens over time, increasing the "discount" leasing customer gain from leaving the utility. I am not a customer so I'm not familiar with the contract rate for leasing in CA vs. the utility rate.

Someone please post any link to any video of tomorrow's COO speech. That sound be a very interesting video or transcript.

I have to disagree on the effectiveness of word of mouth referrals... Lyndon rive has said referrals is a huge part of the business... Over 40% of its current business. So, I think if one person in a community gets Solarcity, you tend to find the rest of the block will go Solarcity as well...
Agreed. Look at the following picture of my community. I was the first one to sign up with Solarcity and referred 11 more systems.
scty.jpg

In the near future, residential systems will be installed for ~$2/watt. Theshadows already installs them for ~$3/watt today.
So SCTY is selling systems for $4/watt today and will be selling them at $2/watt in the future to stay competitive.

IMO, this is the risk issue for SCTY. The system I recently installed with a local company here in SWFL cost me $2.72/watt all inclusive. Now admittedly I didn't have any option to lease but with the federal tax credit and the local rebate my system will have paid back in exactly 2 years. I installed Axitec panels and SMA inverters, so good quality stuff.

Brand, and leasing options, can take SCTY a long way but they have to be able to compete a little better than $4/watt if that's where they are right now.

IMG_2760.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.