Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that was great, thanks. question for anyone....why are they so concerned about getting to a point where the price of solar will be lower than normal electricity without tax incentives? is it for psychological reasons for the public? because oil still gets and will be getting massive subsidies.

I believe Lyndon answered this in the last conference call. Basically that is the point in which you have "unlimited demand".

When you can install solar with battery backup for less than normal electricity you are literally talking about every home/building in America. Or at least where the Sun shines a lot.

I believe Lyndon answered this in the last conference call. Basically that is the point in which you have "unlimited demand".

When you can install solar with battery backup for less than normal electricity you are literally talking about every home/building in America. Or at least where the Sun shines a lot.

I think the better question is "what company can install beautifully architectured solar systems?" The man who takes Steve Jobs obsession for beautifully designed computers and applies it to solar will become incredibly wealthy.

SolarCity had 29% of Q1 US solar installer market share, beating out its 2013 overall share of 27%. Second biggest installer, Vivint Solar had a 9% share in 2014 Q1.

Overall trend is promising, small installers are becoming more and more irrelevant:

US-PV-Installer-Market-GTM.png

SolarCity, Vivint Solar Top US Solar Residential Installers In Q1 2014 | CleanTechnica

SolarCity had 29% of Q1 US solar installer market share, beating out its 2013 overall share of 27%. Second biggest installer, Vivint Solar had a 9% share in 2014 Q1.

Overall trend is promising, small installers are becoming more and more irrelevant:

I can't help being skeptical about research like this. There's little doubt that SolarCity is the largest single installer but given their current coverage in 16 states then to have a 29% overall market share they'd have to be closer to 100% in some of those individual markets. It's worth noting that much of the data is based on state rebate numbers which are simply not available in many states.

SCTY's coverage map:
sc-regions-map.png

The next question would have to be: If SC has a 29% national market share they should be hugely profitable without facing downward margin pressure, no?

I can't help being skeptical about research like this. There's little doubt that SolarCity is the largest single installer but given their current coverage in 16 states then to have a 29% overall market share they'd have to be closer to 100% in some of those individual markets. It's worth noting that much of the data is based on state rebate numbers which are simply not available in many states.

SCTY's coverage map:
View attachment 53187

Actually, no.

Solar Market Insight Report 2012 Q3 | SEIA

SCTY's coverage includes states with the clear majority of installations and the vast majority of residential PV installations.

Seems like Mr. Rive has been cashing out a substantial amount of shares the last 5 weeks. Net proceeds of ~$9,000,000.

I'm out of SCTY right now but watching and I don't like this.
Now if I were able to buy at .87/share and sell at $71/share I would not be complaining! And in this case i don't think its healthy diversification...

DateNAMETRANSACTIONSHARESPRICEVALUE
7/3/2014Mr. Lyndon R. RiveSold 30,293$71.58$2,170,000
7/3/2014Mr. Lyndon R. RiveBought 25,964 $0.81 ($21,031)
7/3/2014Mr. Lyndon R. RiveSold 12,982$71.58 $929,240
6/27/2014Mr. Lyndon R. RiveBought 153,450 $0.81 ($124,295)
6/27/2014Mr. Lyndon R. RiveSold76,725$70.76$5,430,000

Seems like Mr. Rive has been cashing out a substantial amount of shares the last 5 weeks. Net proceeds of ~$9,000,000.

I'm out of SCTY right now but watching and I don't like this.
Now if I were able to buy at .87/share and sell at $71/share I would not be complaining! And in this case i don't think its healthy diversification...

DateNAMETRANSACTIONSHARESPRICEVALUE
7/3/2014Mr. Lyndon R. RiveSold30,293$71.58$2,170,000
7/3/2014Mr. Lyndon R. RiveBought25,964 $0.81 ($21,031)
7/3/2014Mr. Lyndon R. RiveSold12,982$71.58 $929,240
6/27/2014Mr. Lyndon R. RiveBought153,450 $0.81 ($124,295)
6/27/2014Mr. Lyndon R. RiveSold76,725$70.76$5,430,000

How many shares does Mr. Rive have?

It looks like he's exercised some options and NOT sold shares. Why isn't this "healthy diversification"?

The next question would have to be: If SC has a 29% national market share they should be hugely profitable without facing downward margin pressure, no?

Do you mean profitable now? I believe that SCTY would be profitable now, and for the next 15 to 20 years, if they'd just stop spending money on doing new installations! Of course, then they wouldn't be growing or even maintaining market share. They're definitely riding a tiger here.

How many shares does Mr. Rive have?

It looks like he's exercised some options and NOT sold shares. Why isn't this "healthy diversification"?

Yes, he exercised options and bought shares. He could have held them. Instead he sold them. I don't think its healthy diversification when the company is still young and not profitable. His trades netted him $9-Million while the company lost ($56 Million) in 2013 and ($100 Million) in 2012. Sure they may have good reasons for the losses but I personally don't like it when CEO's do this.

Yes, he exercised options and bought shares. He could have held them. Instead he sold them. I don't think its healthy diversification when the company is still young and not profitable. His trades netted him $9-Million while the company lost ($56 Million) in 2013 and ($100 Million) in 2012. Sure they may have good reasons for the losses but I personally don't like it when CEO's do this.

So no substantive answers to the actual questions. Got it.

The majority of the YELP reviews on solarcity is pretty negative:

SolarCity - Westchester - Los Angeles, CA | Yelp

Anybody has 1st hand experience?

I have first hand experience. I had a system installed by Solar City and everything went very well. The city inspector told me that Solar City "always does the job right the first time". He said most other companies have to return a few times until the city requirements are met.

The majority of the YELP reviews on solarcity is pretty negative:

SolarCity - Westchester - Los Angeles, CA | Yelp

Anybody has 1st hand experience?

I've had experience with both ends of this.

I help run a restaurant in my semi-retirement; Yelp is reputed to slant the display of reviews one way or the other depending on how much the business spends on advertising. They only "slant" the reviews, which means that businesses with consistent (good or bad) reviews still come across that way, but most have mixed reviews and the slant can be bad for the business.

We have a Solar City installation, and it was great, and we're currently negotiating to expand it. That's a positive review.

Status
Not open for further replies.