Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1) I find sleepyhead's numbers for outright purchases to be very optimistic. He is very savvy with this stuff, so he can find best possible deal(s) out there. But an average person may not come anywhere close to sleepy's numbers.

2) (no offense but) except for a few solar geeks, nobody knows what $/W means. Let alone comparing different quotes based on this.

An average consumer at best, if at all, knows Cents/kWh.

SolarCity competes with utilities on that metric. When SolarCity goes out and says: "lets pull up your electricity bill, this is the rate you are paying, we can reduce this by x%. meanwhile you will be reducing pollution and contributing to the planets well being." its very appealing to most people.

As much as people here would like, the comparison of $/W is highly irrelavent, which no body really knows or understands.

3) Lets says sleepyhead turns out right and the lease model entirely dies away, that doesn't in any way mean death to SolarCity. They started out by selling systems outright and by many accounts they still do.

Musk said they will produce and install in the order of "tens of gigawatts per year". At that scale, starting from now, the potential growth is so much, the exact mechanics of the sales: lease vs cash-sales vs financed-sales is largely irrelevant.

It so happens that leasing produces the best longterm shareholder value AND currently, consumers are appreciating this model. Thus, it makes complete sense for solarcity to focus on this model. If it doesn't work over time, they can very easily adapt to a different model.

4) Solarcity has become the most vertically integrated player out there and becoming more so every passing quarter. The economies of scale + execution efficiency will, in time, make this company very valuable. I have no doubts about that.

In closing I want to say this:
I have been reading this thread for a long time. No one, I mean absolutely no one, predicted that solarcity will get into panel manufacturing. But solarcity did it and very clearly explained why they are doing it. The management sees far ahead of anyone here and they are ever focussed on growing the company at a phenomenal rate for decades to come. They see obstacles, they will come up with ever more profitable solutions. I trust Musk's vision and Rive brothers' execution.

I have a large position in solar city (together with Tesla). None of the bear arguments here have swayed me a single bit.. (they did make me research and think a lot though).

- - - Updated - - -

Finally, the thing about leasing companies eating away tax benefits meant for the end consumer. Well, we can argue the same about rental homes, can't we? Homeowners get to take mortgage interest tax deduction, which the end consumer would have enjoyed if they bought a home instead of renting one.

Is renting out homes un-ethical?

Last edited:
seems to me that the liability issue could be solved with an option to buy-out the solar install on some sort of pro-rated basis over time. Sure it still wouldn't be as good of a deal as an initial purchase but it could be wrapped up in the selling price of the house. It does transfer some risk to the original owner, but taking out a loan (assuming you could get one) to install a system also entails risk - in fact the same risk as the original owner needs to recoup his install costs (be it cash or loan) when selling the house.

I think this would not cause an issue to the securitization model as it would be similar to a mortgage pre-pay. I seriously doubt that the current SCTY bonds are valued much on cash flows past twenty or thirty years anyways.

Talk on the street is scty coming out with a 200mln abs this/next week.

- - - Updated - - -

The first one came out Nov 13, 13 for 54.5mln
The second one on Apr 2, 14 for 70mln
The latest is for 200mln.

I believe there was some prior management guidance on this. So not sure if this will be market moving.

To get a feel for why this is important for scty, you might want to read this old article:

SolarCity Corp (SCTY) Could Issue Larger Asset-Backed Securities in 2014

Last edited:
spot on

Talk on the street is scty coming out with a 200mln abs this/next week.

- - - Updated - - -

The first one came out Nov 13, 13 for 54.5mln
The second one on Apr 2, 14 for 70mln
The latest is for 200mln.

I believe there was some prior management guidance on this. So not sure if this will be market moving.

To get a feel for why this is important for scty, you might want to read this old article:

SolarCity Corp (SCTY) Could Issue Larger Asset-Backed Securities in 2014

As per Raymond James Energy Daily Update newsletter SCTY's cost of capital through tax equity funds is in the range of 8% to 11%, which I believe is currently the main source of financing the projects.

These ABS sales significantly lower the cost of capital and thus improve retained value.

A few bears speculated that the tax credit expiry in 2017 is a death blow to scty. It turns out, solarcity is looking far ahead and effectively turning "problems" into "opportunities".

They are not only solving the potential issue of lack of funding but are actually lowering the cost of funding!

Similar thing happened with panels. By getting into manufacturing through silevo, they are not only solving the potential issue of lack of enough panels, but they are using the opportunity to further lower the total cost of installations (not just panels).

A number of "risks" pointed by bears are technically risks. But the bears are significantly underestimating the management's ability to address these and go much beyond.

I think you're grossly overestimating the rate of progress with solar technology. You're largely comparing solar to high-tech products like chips/cpu and internet bandwidth. CPUs were doubling in processing power every 18 months via Moore's Law. Internet bandwidth probably increasing 50% every year. However, solar technology is advancing much slower. I would compare it more to batteries, which is more like a slow but steady improvement where you see the improvement more in decades rather than over a few years. This is important because it's the rate of progress that will determine the speed of the disruption. Your "30 years" projection where energy is "virtually free" is way too optimistic and is based one the false premise that solar tech will mimic the pace/speed of innovation in other high-tech industries like Moore's Law ... it hasn't happened and it's not happening. Solar is innovating but much slower than Moore's Law.

You're also overlooking the fact that just because solar energy exists (via the Sun), that doesn't make it usable by any means. To make that energy usable it needs to be:
1. Harvested
2. Stored
3. Delivered

1. Harvesting energy
In order to harvest the sun's energy, massive amounts of investment in infrastructure (panels/modules, systems, etc) need to be set up. And that infrastructure is far from free. It's very costly and it needs to be paid for. Your premise seems to presume that this infrastructure cost will drop within 30 years to become a trivial amount, thus making energy "virtually free". However, again you're I think you're overestimating the rate of progress in solar technologies. Infrastructure costs will drop but it won't be anything near as dramatic as what you're alluding to when you claim it'll be "virtually free". Another obstacle is the cost of materials which isn't going to zero. Panels, modules, investors, mounts, wiring, etc all cost money and no matter how cheap you make it it still has cost of materials and a markup. Barring a revolutionary breakthrough in energy generation what we have is more of a slow but steady progress in solar innovation that not only includes the panels but also the balance of system costs, and this will lead to a gradual reduction in the costs of solar over time. But no where close to the "virtually free" you're hoping for.

I have to agree with David. There's just so much things that cheap electricity can do so demand won't be an issue. For example, there're many places in the world that have severe water problem. With cheap electricity, we can simply produce fresh water from sea.

With cheap electricity, we can simply produce fresh water from sea.
Or, for example with cheap electricity it would be possible to produce gasoline out of air and water
gigi.gif
Using more than century old F-T process that was and is used on industrial scale since world war 2.

More significant insider selling going on with SCTY. Peter Rive sold 135,000 shares of the stock on July 30th at $74.00, for a total value of $9,990,000.
I said it before, I'm saying it again, this really doesn't sit right with me. They are making so much money selling their shares. Presumably significant dilution is coming to fund their solar panel factory. If it were not Elon being Chairman and JB being a Board Member I think this stock would be valued at a fraction of what it is today.

Debunking the FUD around SCTY's insider sales

More significant insider selling going on with SCTY. Peter Rive sold 135,000 shares of the stock on July 30th at $74.00, for a total value of $9,990,000.
I said it before, I'm saying it again, this really doesn't sit right with me. They are making so much money selling their shares. Presumably significant dilution is coming to fund their solar panel factory. If it were not Elon being Chairman and JB being a Board Member I think this stock would be valued at a fraction of what it is today.

I really wish people would do more research before making claims such as this.

Alright, let’s review Peter Rive’s holdings and selling.

1. 12/12/12 filing, SolarCity - Initial Statement of Beneficial Ownership
Peter Rive has 2,952,378 common shares.
option to purchase 1,000,000 shares (2009-2019 incentive plan)
option to purchase 1,000,000 shares (2011-2021 incentive plan)

2. 6/11/13 filing, SolarCity - Statement of Changes of Beneficial Ownership
Peter Rive sold 220,743 shares at $14 (137 Ventures exercised option to buy shares from previous 12/30/11 agreement). Amount: $3.09 million.
Total shares held: 2,731,635 plus option to buy 2,000,000 shares (incentive plans through 2021)

3. 12/19/13 filing, SolarCity - Statement of Changes of Beneficial Ownership
Peter Rive sold 40,000 shares (from 8/29/13 Rule 10b5-1 plan) for $56/share, total amount $2.24 million.
Total shares held: 2,691,625 shares plus option to buy 2,000,000 shares (incentive plans through 2021)

4. 7/31/14 filing, SolarCity - Statement of Changes of Beneficial Ownership
Peter Rive exercised option to buy 30,200 shares at $1.62/share and then sold 135,000 shares at $74/share (from 3/24/14 Rule 10b5-1 plan), total amount sold: $9.99 million
Total shares held: 2,586,835 shares plus option to buy 1,969,200 shares (incentive plans through 2021)

5. Regarding his option to buy more shares (from incentive plans), 1.65 million out of the roughly 2 million shares are exercisable currently. Meaning, the requirements have been met and he can exercise those shares whenever he chooses. (More info on # shares and option held: SolarCity - Definitive Proxy Statement)

Ok, so let’s now look at what this means.

1. SolarCity was founded in 2006. That’s 8 years ago, and founders have every right to raise some cash especially after their company has gone public.

2. Since going SCTY went IPO, Peter Rive has sold voluntarily only 175,000 shares (40k shares on 12/19/13 and 135k shares on 7/31/14, he sold 220k shares but it was an agreement from 2011 with 137 Ventures).

3. Let’s put this into perspective, after 7-8 years since the company was founded Peter Rive sells 175,000 shares but still has over 4.5 million shares. That’s like 3.7% of his holdings. Not much at all.

4. His recent sale is from a 3/24/14 10b5-1 plan and I would actually expect some more sales from this. I think it’s totally normal and acceptable for Peter Rive to sell 5-10% of his holdings, or even up to 15%. That’s fine and causes no concern for me.

5. Let’s look at this from another perspective. Let’s say your Peter Rive with an annual salary of $275,000 and no other bonuses. $275,000 is not much for the Bay Area, especially after taxes. So most of your compensation is in the form of stock - some from being a founder and some from incentive plans. Now you’ve worked on the company for 8 years and haven’t made much money in terms of salary over those years. Almost all your gains are stock gains. So, when are you going to sell a bit of your stock to take that money and do other things with (ie., build a custom house, buy a private jet, go places, do things, etc)? Sure you could wait another 5-10 years, but that’s not typical. It’s totally reasonable for you to want to sell 5% of your stock holdings to raise some cash so you can use that money for various things. It’s a lifestyle upgrade that’s been put on hold for many years, and now after 8 years the company is doing well and you feel it’s time to take the 5% off the table so you can have tangible benefits in your lifestyle. Totally makes sense.

It’s quite confusing to me that people would be shocked that a founder liquidates less than 5% of his shares after 8 years of working on the company. Guys, this is how it works. Founders liquidate shares over time. It’s a reality. Now, Elon is quite an anomaly and I don’t think it’s fair to expect other CEOs or founders to never share their shares and to take up line of credits to buy more.

If anything SolarCity has one of the largest and strongest insider holdings of any company out there. A whopping 70% (!!!) of the common shares are held by the Directors, Executives, and entities affiliated with the Directors.

Elon has roughly 23% ownership in the company, but there are other groups with large holdings that have been very committed to SolarCity from the early years and have held on to the vast majority of their position until now. This shows amazing commitment.

Now, it’s only natural that these entities will liquidates their holdings slowly over time. It’s just reality as some of these entities are venture capital firms that need to return capital to their investors as well. So don’t be surprised that over time that these insider entities share more and more shares over time. It’s just not realistic for insider holdings to remain at 70% over the long-term. Over the next few to several years it’s only logical and practical for insider holdings to drop to under 50% and eventually end up at around 30% or so, IMO.

However, for insider holdings to be at an incredible 70% currently is testament to how strongly the insiders believe in the growth and future of the company.

If anything, if you look at the insider activity the most glaring fact is not that some insiders sell some shares occasionally to raise cash, but rather that insiders are religiously keeping that vast majority of their holdings in SCTY and insider holdings remain at a incredible 70%.

Think about that again. Insiders hold 70% of the common shares of SCTY. How is that not incredibly bullish. Even if it was 40-50% it still would be super bullish.

Yes, that appears to be correct, Dave. I reiterate, though: he should own some outright. I have no truck with senior management or board members of any company that fail to show that simple show of support for and courtesy to the shareholding public. When such a person is hired and he is granted in-the-money options, as is the case here, it is even more distasteful to me. Long-term readers of my posts do know I am the cranky old-timer here, with old-time beliefs....

Status
Not open for further replies.