Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially at night.

Well, I figured they might be able to rig up some battery storage to help with that. It's the total power generation from the rooftop solar that's the big problem.

- - - Updated - - -

a lot of scty solar panels on the roof

Probably, but not necessarily. This will be a large industrial installation for a power-hungry facility in the middle of a very sunny desert, so they could consider favoring more expensive high efficiency panels over cheaper SCTY ones.

Probably, but not necessarily. This will be a large industrial installation for a power-hungry facility in the middle of a very sunny desert, so they could consider favoring more expensive high efficiency panels over cheaper SCTY ones.

What's to prevent SolarCity from obtaining or producing top quality solar panels for the huge industrial project of a related company?

Link to this morning's article on SolarCity website: New SolarCity Product Makes it Possible for Businesses to Significantl

New SolarCity Product Makes it Possible for Businesses to Significantly Increase Solar Output From Each Rooftop

8:00a ET September 16, 2014 (GlobeNewswire)

SolarCity (Nasdaq:SCTY) unveiled a new product in its Zep Solar line of solar products today--a flat roof solar mounting solution that is twice as fast to install and can generate significantly more solar electricity from each rooftop than alternatives for the commercial market. ZS Peak makes it possible for far more businesses, schools and other organizations to install solar power on their buildings and immediately pay less for solar electricity than they pay for utility power, and will significantly expand the addressable market for commercial solar.

Like the revolutionary Zep residential solar systems, ZS Peak provides an innovative snap-together system to simplify and accelerate installation. SolarCity estimates that ZS Peak can increase generation capacity on flat roof buildings by 20-50 percent per building and do so without requiring any penetrations. The system's dense, east-west layout structure will allow SolarCity to fit up to 20 percent more solar panels on standard roofs and up to 50 percent more panels on lightweight roofs, such as those commonly found on warehouses. The increase in panels per roof is particularly valuable in the commercial market, as conventional flat-roof solar systems typically power less than half of a commercial building's load.

ZS Peak's east-west orientation not only allows installers to fit more solar panels on each roof than standard south-facing systems, it also captures peak power production throughout a longer period of the day. By lengthening power production time and eliminating the typical mid-day spike of standard solar systems, SolarCity can also make more efficient use of solar inverters to further reduce costs for customers. ZS Peak has so significantly improved on the aerodynamics of conventional systems that it can be installed as a lightweight, non-penetrating system on many roofs that would otherwise require the solar panels to be bolted down.

SolarCity is currently installing its first project with ZS Peak and expects to begin installing the product in volume in January. Businesses and other organizations interested in SolarCity's services can contact the company directly at 1-888-SOL-CITY (1-888-765-2489) for a free, no-obligation solar consultation or visit SolarCity online.

Thanks for posting that SC press release. I would love that system on my house roof. It would be perfect because it is non-penetrating and lightweight. SC won't install on my roof because it has a 1.5" hard polyurethane foam layer with an elastomeric top coat, supported by 2x4" tongue-in-groove and 4x10" beams on a 6' spacing. SC says they don't want to deal with foam roofs because they might leak even though I've offered to sign a liability release. They also said (this was just last month) that their mounting system was not compatible with my roof structure, even though earlier this year they had installed a PV system on a neighbors roof that is the same structural type as mine (but not the same top surface).

Thanks for posting that SC press release. I would love that system on my house roof. It would be perfect because it is non-penetrating and lightweight. SC won't install on my roof because it has a 1.5" hard polyurethane foam layer with an elastomeric top coat, supported by 2x4" tongue-in-groove and 4x10" beams on a 6' spacing. SC says they don't want to deal with foam roofs because they might leak even though I've offered to sign a liability release. They also said (this was just last month) that their mounting system was not compatible with my roof structure, even though earlier this year they had installed a PV system on a neighbors roof that is the same structural type as mine (but not the same top surface).

You're welcome. Oh my, and you live in the same town as SolarCity. I got the impression that this new system is only for business customers. Perhaps if you keep knocking on their door, they will relent and accept you as a customer.

Meanwhile, it appears that the system is what could win the bidding to install solar panels on Tesla Motors' huge battery factory being built in Nevada. Of course the fact that the two companies share the same board chairman is helpful.

gigafactory_aerial.jpg

MarketWatch Bulletin

NASA awards $6.8 bln contract to Boeing, SpaceX to send astronauts into space

09/16/2014 04:14:29 PM

I realize it is not a direct SolarCity story, but any positives for a Musk related enterprise can be helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

SCTY price action makes no sense to me, it went down with tsla yesterday, today stays down even tsla jumped.

Since yesterday’s market close, Tesla benefitted from bullish commentary by analysts at two firms. Very late in yesterday’s trading the news began circulating of Massachusetts allowing Tesla’s direct sales method. The benefits from the news today of SolarCity’s improved system for business customers may not yet have sunk in with investors. The latest Tesla news may have inhibited institutions from selling any more TSLA shares to raise cash for the Alibaba IPO, at least not since late morning. SolarCity may have been seen today as still ripe for milking ahead of that IPO.

yes .. TSLA is much sexier than SCTY ..

MarketWatch Bulletin

NASA awards $6.8 bln contract to Boeing, SpaceX to send astronauts into space

09/16/2014 04:14:29 PM

I realize it is not a direct SolarCity story, but any positives for a Musk related enterprise can be helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Since yesterday’s market close, Tesla benefitted from bullish commentary by analysts at two firms. Very late in yesterday’s trading the news began circulating of Massachusetts allowing Tesla’s direct sales method. The benefits from the news today of SolarCity’s improved system for business customers may not yet have sunk in with investors. The latest Tesla news may have inhibited institutions from selling any more TSLA shares to raise cash for the Alibaba IPO, at least not since late morning. SolarCity may have been seen today as still ripe for milking ahead of that IPO.

The "Inside Energy 2014" summit in New York City on Wednesday, September 17 will be hosted this year by SolarCity.

1:00 pm EDT - Keynote Speaker - Elon Musk

Inside Energy | Presented by SolarCity | Home

Awesome. Thanks for letting us know!

Edit: Well, I thought there would be a streaming of the Keynote, but it looks like there is none....so hopefully we get some info after the event.

Awesome. Thanks for letting us know!

Edit: Well, I thought there would be a streaming of the Keynote, but it looks like there is none....so hopefully we get some info after the event.

You're welcome. Here's an article about today’s SolarCity “Inside Energy” summit in New York which featured Elon Musk as keynote speaker.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/el...d-box-may-one-day-power-your-house-2014-09-17

Elon Musk: A thermostat-sized box may one day power your house
5:17p ET September 17, 2014 (MarketWatch)

By Jennifer Booton, MarketWatch

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- It's easy to get lost in the numbers that swirl around a project as massive as Tesla's $5 billion gigafactory. But by sitting back and looking outside of the box, the potential ground-level benefits of such an immense factory begin to set in.

The numbers might make you woozy: a $5 billion investment, a $1.25 billion tax break in Nevada, 6,500 new jobs, 50 gigawatts of battery storage by 2020, 500,000 electric cars per year.

What this really means is the massive factory -- which Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA) CEO Elon Musk and his first cousin, SolarCity Corp. (SCTY) CEO Lyndon River, hinted Wednesday at a private conference may be the first of several perhaps larger plants -- is that an increased level of manufacturing scale will improve the efficiency and affordability of lithium-ion batteries.

-Jennifer Booton; 415-439-6400; [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.