Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge Inverter Issue-DC Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the cause of THIS incident was bad parts (factory parts failure, as this seemed to be a group failure). I later had another issue where they needed to adjust the parameters (limits) of harmonic interference. I'd call SolarEdge. They are very responsive and fixed it themselves that time when I told them every time I call Tesla it takes many weeks and I'd never had production up for more than a couple of months since install (more or less correct).

They can at least see what the issue is and verify if software or hardware.

Agreed, SolarEdge is way better than Tesla at the moment. Any idea why both of our experiences seem to involve Powerwall?

I don’t believe that PW was actually involved. It seemed to be some connection between grid voltage and what caused the harmonics. I had to have this (levels to allow/screen out, who knows) adjustment made once before on the original inverter and they thought the parameters had been moved to the new one. I’m not convinced it was from the PW addition at all but they don’t (want to) tell you a lot since you can access the inverter yourself and it’s technically possible to break things (no idea why we would, we just want it to work :D).

I don’t believe that PW was actually involved. It seemed to be some connection between grid voltage and what caused the harmonics. I had to have this (levels to allow/screen out, who knows) adjustment made once before on the original inverter and they thought the parameters had been moved to the new one. I’m not convinced it was from the PW addition at all but they don’t (want to) tell you a lot since you can access the inverter yourself and it’s technically possible to break things (no idea why we would, we just want it to work :D).

You'd think if it was a harmonic issue that needed to be addressed in relation to the Powerwall (that's how the Powerwall "shuts down" the inverter, by adjusting the frequency), then that would be in the install guidelines. I'd hate to think they are just letting it ride and hoping it won't break when the Powerwall gets thrown in the mix.

I just got the 18xBC error myself and I don't have a Powerwall. My Solaredge HD-Wave was installed with my system in early 2019. I've submitted a support request via "please fill out this form for additional support" on this page. They have a field to pick your exact error too. I'll post back if I get any updates, but for now they say they'll get back to me within 3 business days...
Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 12.52.36 PM.png

For the purpose of logging what I went through for future recipients of this problem, I'll be posting updates as I get them.

I received an email reply in response to the form submission I linked above. Below is the important part of the message:

For this particular error, the inverter may need to be replaced. In order for us to submit the request for a replacement to the manufacturer, we require a photo of the display screen showing the error, as well as a photo of the sticker on the side of the inverter showing the serial number (S/N) and the MAC address. Please reply here with these photos attached and I will see to it that this gets escalated properly. Our Scheduling team will then contact you when more information is available.

So far so good. Hopefully a replacement can get approved and installed shortly. I'm cautiously optimistic on the turn around time, but we shall see.

Okay, last update for a bit probably. After sending in my pictures for the failure, I got this response:

I have escalated this inverter issue to our Tier 2 Support team for a warranty claim replacement. Please be advised that the processing time can take an average of 2-4 weeks. Once the inverter arrives at our warehouse, you will be contacted by a member of the Scheduling team to set a date and time for a service visit.

So I'm pretty happy that Tesla has been pretty responsive so far. Hopefully things go on the earlier side of the estimate though.

Reactions: boaterva
I was able to schedule an appointment today for a replacement inverter install in two weeks. In total, about 4 weeks of known downtime (may have been down a week before that, but that's my fault for not noticing since I didn't restart the logging right away)

EDIT:
Looks like it got immediately changed to next week? That's nice.

Last edited:
I am having the exact same situation. Early 2019 installation same error code. Contacted Tesla and SolarEdge. Tesla attempted some troubleshooting and now referred me to Level 2 support. I hope I will not have to wait long. So just curious did anyone found out what is causing this error message? Is it confirmed that inverter is to be replaced?

I am having the exact same situation. Early 2019 installation same error code. Contacted Tesla and SolarEdge. Tesla attempted some troubleshooting and now referred me to Level 2 support. I hope I will not have to wait long. So just curious did anyone found out what is causing this error message? Is it confirmed that inverter is to be replaced?
I just worked directly with SE. I had them on the phone within an hour and issues resolved

I assumed from everything I posted (18 months ago now?) that it was a batch of bad parts in a run of units. This because of the original reporting of this error code (which now has a permanent place in the error reporting, hmmmm), got an immediately RMA and a bump-up in appointment schedule. Maybe they aren't guaranteed to fail, and they (Tesla) thought it would be cheaper to just prioritize the replacement and not proactively replace them all then. Just making all that up, but it seems to fit. Mine has worked fine so far since replacement except I think I had to have one more harmonic adjustment. Been excellent for the last 15 months or so.

Reactions: Zer0t
I think it's a guaranteed hardware replacement unfortunately. Deal with SolarEdge directly if you can.

I've come up with this 18xBC error now on my inverter. Took months and months to diagnose; I originally thought the issue was with the powerwall units themselves, and then the gateway that connects the system to WiFi. They even sent me a new gateway and it was only after I set it up that they asked me to look at the inverter. Inefficient but hopefully now it's pinpointed.

I've come up with this 18xBC error now on my inverter. Took months and months to diagnose; I originally thought the issue was with the powerwall units themselves, and then the gateway that connects the system to WiFi. They even sent me a new gateway and it was only after I set it up that they asked me to look at the inverter. Inefficient but hopefully now it's pinpointed.
If you can keep the thread updated with your progress it may be helpful to others.

Just putting my experience in here for an informal tally of bad units of the SolarEdge HD Wave SE10000H inverters. Had my system installed October 2019, was running until the end of September 2022 and the inverter is now showing an error code of 18xBC. So it was running close to 35-36 months before failure. I have an RMA for a replacement unit as we speak. I hope to get it back up and running soon and was told could take 4 weeks or so.

Hi @boaterva thank you for posting the details of your adventure which have been very helpful as I try to figure out why my whole system melted down yesterday. I also have an 18xBC error. SolarEdge tell me the unit must be replaced, but TE insist they need to see it for themselves.

The Tier 1 support claims no knowledge of an automated/accelerated RMA process and I wondered if you had any advice (or a name?!) for reaching a supervisor that does know about this? Otherwise I'm waiting for a service call (in 4 weeks!) and it's peak generation time... powerwalls are stuck at 4% :(

Thanks for any advice!

Hi @boaterva thank you for posting the details of your adventure which have been very helpful as I try to figure out why my whole system melted down yesterday. I also have an 18xBC error. SolarEdge tell me the unit must be replaced, but TE insist they need to see it for themselves.

The Tier 1 support claims no knowledge of an automated/accelerated RMA process and I wondered if you had any advice (or a name?!) for reaching a supervisor that does know about this? Otherwise I'm waiting for a service call (in 4 weeks!) and it's peak generation time... powerwalls are stuck at 4% :(

Thanks for any advice!
Had to re-read this whole thing to recollect it as it’s been a while! Sorry, no names or other shortcuts besides giving TE pictures perhaps? Not sure what they need to ‘see’. Sorry to hear they still can’t access anything real time to verify your issue ugh…..

Mine is still working fine, knock on glass…. Best of luck!