Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarglass powerwalls not for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PG&E only gave me a few pennies at true-up. Now we have community power that may pay more of excess power.
I enjoy the same benefit with Sonoma Clean Power. However the trend with CCAs in California is to reduce that and put the money into other incentives. The payout will still be better than PG&E but I think the incentives will be directed more toward self consumption rather than to incentivize over generation. EV owners have the ability to manage consumption better than most other consumers.

I enjoy the same benefit with Sonoma Clean Power. However the trend with CCAs in California is to reduce that and put the money into other incentives. The payout will still be better than PG&E but I think the incentives will be directed more toward self consumption rather than to incentivize over generation. EV owners have the ability to manage consumption better than most other consumers.
I think in Santa Clara where my son used to live, the city owns everything, power polls, grids, all the equipment. His unit cost was ridiculously low, perhaps $0.10.
Maybe that is what the CCA's should strive for as well as self consumption.
If I known better when I was building the house in my moniker, I would have had expansion for electric water heating, electric dryer, etc.
Then, PG&E would be almost out of the picture.

I know this is irrelevant to most states, but WA (Clark Public Utility) charges 8.5 cents per kWh 24/7. But we have the Columbia River and Bonneville Dam nearby so we are uniquely blessed. Solar does not pencil out. We do have a Kohler 12kW natural gas generator for outage backup that comes online typically 2 hours or less total in a given year. That cost $15k installed with automatic transfer switch.

I’d love to do solar+powerwall but t jst doesn’t pencil out here.

Last edited:
I know this is irrelevant to most states, but WA (Clark Public Utility) charges 8.5 cents per kWh 24/7. But we have the Columbia River and Bonneville Dam nearby so we are uniquely blessed. Solar does not pencil out. We do have a Kohler 12kW natural gas generator for outage backup that comes online typically 2 hours or less total in a given year. That cost $15k installed with automatic transfer switch.

Wish it was that way in California. Here even people that live in sight of the massive hydroelectric producing dams pay high rates. All because most of the power for the upper 2/3 of California comes from one power company, PG&E.

• Informative
Reactions: Ampster and madodel

Is that inclusive of power grid charges? Here in Pennsylvania we have the option to choose electric supplier so our electric rate is varied by supplier but the distribution (grid) charge applies to everyone. I pay about 5.8¢ /KWh for the distribution and other cockamamie charges and the standard rate for electric is 6.19¢/kWh. So combined 12¢/kWh. I use a different supplier for local source wind at 11.5¢/kWh so combined is 17.7¢/kWh. And my wife loves the look of the solar tiles and won't allow panels on our roof so for me the Solar Roof is a decent option.

Wish it was that way in California. Here even people that live in sight of the massive hydroelectric producing dams pay high rates. All because most of the power for the upper 2/3 of California comes from one power company, PG&E
It is not just PG&E. There are high rates with the other Investor Owned Utilitus regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission. At least some of us have CCAs that reduce the rates by a few cents. Others, who have Municipal Utilities, enjoy slightly lower rates as well. Overall California does have higher rates. Some of the blame goes to history and some to the regulators.

Is that inclusive of power grid charges? Here in Pennsylvania we have the option to choose electric supplier so our electric rate is varied by supplier but the distribution (grid) charge applies to everyone. I pay about 5.8¢ /KWh for the distribution and other cockamamie charges and the standard rate for electric is 6.19¢/kWh. So combined 12¢/kWh. I use a different supplier for local source wind at 11.5¢/kWh so combined is 17.7¢/kWh. And my wife loves the look of the solar tiles and won't allow panels on our roof so for me the Solar Roof is a decent option.

My wife liking the look is a primary reason we are going with the Solarglass roof. The other is it is cheaper than replacing our tile roof and adding solar.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Yes, our all-in power cost is $8/month "delivery fee" plus 8.5c per kWh delivered. But it rains a lot here....
Current Electric and Water Rates - Clark Public Utilities

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Wish it was that way in California. Here even people that live in sight of the massive hydroelectric producing dams pay high rates. All because most of the power for the upper 2/3 of California comes from one power company, PG&E.
But, that would also include their high transmission line costs and a bunch of other stuff, tiered, of course.
PG&E doesn't generate power or very little but sure mark up the power charges.

WOW, your water is almost dirt cheap at $0.0025 per gallon.
Down here, profit company, a much smaller tier 1 is $0.009, then $0.015 that happens when garden watering begins.
I'd never get out of your tier 1.:D

Growing up in the Central Valley water used to be dirt cheap and un-metered. My family home was a $12/mo flat fee. My dad use to empty and refill the swimming pool (40,000 gallons) every year. We did not think anything of running the sprinklers for 1/2 hour every day and hosing down the walks daily.

You have assumed everything. There is a very real chance that in five years (Which is what 3 generations of the current Solarglass), the current Solarglass will be a dinosaur. And in ten years the powerwalls will be unsupported by Tesla because the technology will be so old. And Tesla will reply to your inquiry about having someone service the Current powerwall with a reply like, "That is SO OLD we no longer have parts. Instead you should upgrade to Powerwall 6.0. It costs half as much. holds infinite power, is much more durable and dependable, and uses your household garbage to store energy."
And the "Beautiful Shiney Black" roof will look dated and "just old." Try selling a house with the curb appeal based on an old black dinosaur for a roof. That is IF it lives up to your assumptions and still works. It is unproven. Already Tesla has rolled back how long they will guarantee it. You believe they did that "just because." I believe there are reasons for actions.
Just an update or continuation....
When I wrote this "Battery Day" was not thought of as going to be much of a big deal. Today those words I wrote concerning the Powerwall being outdated before the ten years is up seem almost certain to be true.
Recently I have read that there is a new edition of the powerwall to be released soon. I saw a video about ti as well, but I confess, I watch too many youtube videos.
But, a few days ago I got this email from Tesla

Your Solar Roof Order Has Been Cancelled

Product

10.1153 kW Solar Roof, 3 Powerwalls

Order Number

ENXXXXXXX

Cancellation Request Date

May 19, 2020

I did not ask Tesla to cancel it. So why now? I was sent a slightly lower cost option a month ago, and discussed it with the representative, nothing was mentioned about cancelling the contract/offer...and now a month later I get a "Cancellation." I asked why, and have not received an answer.
On the table of reasons would be that the old powerwalls are being upgraded to the point that the Solat Roof and powerwalls I had ordered are being dramatically changed, and therefore Tesla is dropping the old open contracts.or it could be some other advancement in the system...

Status
Not open for further replies.