Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarglass Roof - V3 - any customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think any wns-user V3 installations have occurred yet. It was just announced last week.

We are looking into it and put down the $100 deposit to get the ball rolling. We uploaded a power bill with the meter code and account location. Tesla rep got back to use in 48 hours. Answered all of our current questions.

At this point we are waiting for them to package up a proposal and get us a quote with layout diagram. They say we should get something in a week. We will see. Other potential roof/solar providers took a 2 months to get us a quote, so I will be shocked if Tesla does in a week.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
I
I don't think any wns-user V3 installations have occurred yet. It was just announced last week.

We are looking into it and put down the $100 deposit to get the ball rolling. We uploaded a power bill with the meter code and account location. Tesla rep got back to use in 48 hours. Answered all of our current questions.

At this point we are waiting for them to package up a proposal and get us a quote with layout diagram. They say we should get something in a week. We will see. Other potential roof/solar providers took a 2 months to get us a quote, so I will be shocked if Tesla does in a week.

I put my deposit in last Friday and was also contacted quickly. I’ve submitted requested information and was told 2-5 week wait time to get a proposal. Last month I requested a powerwall quote and that took 3 and a half weeks to receive.

With the the tax credit reduction deadline and winter coming in Northern California, along with what I assume is huge demand, it will be interesting to see how quickly they can move. I was told that PTO date determines tax credit qualification but I’m not quite sure that’s accurate. Anyone know?

I

I put my deposit in last Friday and was also contacted quickly. I’ve submitted requested information and was told 2-5 week wait time to get a proposal. Last month I requested a powerwall quote and that took 3 and a half weeks to receive.

With the the tax credit reduction deadline and winter coming in Northern California, along with what I assume is huge demand, it will be interesting to see how quickly they can move. I was told that PTO date determines tax credit qualification but I’m not quite sure that’s accurate. Anyone know?
There was a thorough tax citation here: SGIP with Large Scale Energy Storage (3 x PowerWalls) with Tesla or Individual

At this point we are waiting for them to package up a proposal and get us a quote with layout diagram. They say we should get something in a week.

Have they done a site survey yet, or do you have an appointment for one, or are they going to do a proposal without one? I thought even for panels they'd gone back to doing a survey rather than having the customer take their own pictures, and for a full roof I'd think they'd need to know a lot more about the structure, exact pipe locations, etc.

Anyway, I'm dying to see pictures/details of how the v3 install process actually goes! :) Absolutely no regrets that I have a v2, but very curious to see how much the design has evolved and what they changed.

• Helpful
Reactions: Shygar
I was told that a proposal would be made solely from remotely gathered information (satellite images, etc) including pictures I took of electrical panel (but no pictures of roof). I was also told that a video chat would happen once proposal is ready, presumably to confirm details.

I would think solar roof design should be simpler than solar panel design because its just identifying different planes vs panel configuration.

I

Either the date the system is paid for or the date put into service - for the ITC date. If not started soon, drops to 26% next year. Stll quite good.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
I was told that a proposal would be made solely from remotely gathered information (satellite images, etc) including pictures I took of electrical panel (but no pictures of roof). I was also told that a video chat would happen once proposal is ready, presumably to confirm details.

I would think solar roof design should be simpler than solar panel design because its just identifying different planes vs panel configuration.

That is the same as we were told. The rep seemed quite knowledgeable about the process. And the process is pretty much the same as we went through with another vendor.

Have they done a site survey yet, or do you have an appointment for one, or are they going to do a proposal without one? I thought even for panels they'd gone back to doing a survey rather than having the customer take their own pictures, and for a full roof I'd think they'd need to know a lot more about the structure, exact pipe locations, etc.

Anyway, I'm dying to see pictures/details of how the v3 install process actually goes! :) Absolutely no regrets that I have a v2, but very curious to see how much the design has evolved and what they changed.

This first go around is done via satellite imagery. I guess that gives them enough data to give you are preliminary estimate based on number of active versus in-active tiles, etc. Then if you want to proceed, and I assume make in a more substantial payment, they send someone out to check out the site.

This first go around is done via satellite imagery. I guess that gives them enough data to give you are preliminary estimate based on number of active versus in-active tiles, etc. Then if you want to proceed, and I assume make in a more substantial payment, they send someone out to check out the site.

I want to find out more from someone that gets a quote on what amount of active tiles are decided to be placed on away-sides of roofs - or if you have an East/West pitch, if they do both sides. I have a neighbor with East/West and did a Solar City install in 2016 and they blanketed the roof entirely. Lots of shade there too. As long as the federal tax credit is there, I don't see a reason they use many blanks but rather try to get the most out of the surfaces.

Reactions: preilly44
I want to find out more from someone that gets a quote on what amount of active tiles are decided to be placed on away-sides of roofs - or if you have an East/West pitch, if they do both sides. I have a neighbor with East/West and did a Solar City install in 2016 and they blanketed the roof entirely. Lots of shade there too. As long as the federal tax credit is there, I don't see a reason they use many blanks but rather try to get the most out of the surfaces.

I assume their analysis is based on power produced vs. cost. A connected tile costs more in materials, interconnection, and installation time. And with the tax credits reduction starting in 2020 and going away completely by 2022 these increase costs will be paid for more and more by the homeowner.

2020 only reduces tax benefit by 4%. 30% this year and 26% next year. If they offer 2% to 4% reduction in price to the customer, that's a wash and it may not be that impactful if no price reduction occurred.

2020 only reduces tax benefit by 4%. 30% this year and 26% next year. If they offer 2% to 4% reduction in price to the customer, that's a wash and it may not be that impactful if no price reduction occurred.

I will let you know if they offer a discount when we get our quote. I am most concerned about time to install. As I understand it, you can only claim the credit when the solar system is online. 2019 is likely not achievable. So we are into 2020 and 26%. But local tradition solar installers are quoting a 6 month time to the approval to operate. So if the install time slips into mid 2020 we have a potential problem.

Reactions: bonaire
I've heard that CA has a long time from permitting to completion of a project. There has to be some movement in government agencies to assist in this issue - the state is very pro-solar PV and yet the local governments are quite slow in assisting in solving the problems.

Either the date the system is paid for or the date put into service - for the ITC date. If not started soon, drops to 26% next year. Stll quite good.
From the above link by @miimura
SGIP with Large Scale Energy Storage (3 x PowerWalls) with Tesla or Individual
that I fully read above and downloaded the IRS or the modified congressional law, I think one will get the 30% ITC if construction begins by 1 jan 2020 and completed by 2024. And "construction begins" is also defined by paying 5%
of project costs.
Now the only question would be, which year can the ITC be deducted.

Reactions: EinSV
I will let you know if they offer a discount when we get our quote. I am most concerned about time to install. As I understand it, you can only claim the credit when the solar system is online. 2019 is likely not achievable. So we are into 2020 and 26%. But local tradition solar installers are quoting a 6 month time to the approval to operate. So if the install time slips into mid 2020 we have a potential problem.

My second solar system was installed late last year and I had PTO within two weeks of installation. 6 months PTO wait time would have been ridiculous and not what I experienced. There was however a ~6 month wait from contract signing to install date.

My second solar system was installed late last year and I had PTO within two weeks of installation. 6 months PTO wait time would have been ridiculous and not what I experienced. There was however a ~6 month wait from contract signing to install date.

I sure hope our experience is like that, but 6 months is what one of the really big installers that runs TV commercials told us. They mention that PG&E is having layoffs and the process has slowed down.