Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarglass Roof - V3 - any customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every install I've seen (v3 or v2, mine included) has used Delta Solivias. The nameplate says the operating range is 59.3-60.5Hz. In my own grid outage testing it logged events for grid frequency too high at 60.5Hz, so it doesn't seem to do any curtailment, but simply turns off once the frequency hits 60.5Hz.

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 7.31.41 AM.png

Can anyone comment on the inverters Tesla is installing with solarglass roofs? I am particularly interested in ensuring that the one Tesla installs work if Tesla turns down the off-line trigger frequency to 61 Hz or lower. We have a lot of electronics and UPSes and prefer not have to replace UPS units with ones that tolerate higher frequencies.

I am in the middle (or near the end?) of having solarglass and powerwalls installed. They installed 2 Delta Solivia 5.2 inverters and 1 Delta M4-TL-US inverter. My system is not yet operational, so I have not had a chance to perform a full PW off-grid test yet.

I just received a quote for a solar roof installed on my home. My roof is leaking and needs to be replaced in the next few months. My concern is that I'm not sure of I'm going to be in my home for more than another 5-10 years. Has anyone who had the roof installed had a new appraisal since then? Tesla told me they expect about 4% increase in resale value. I would have felt a lot better had they said closer to 8%.

Tesla told me they expect about 4% increase in resale value.

They have no idea. These roofs are beta products. Whether the roofs sold in 3 years are substantially improved is an unknown.

I too would be tempted to make a purchase in you situation. But rationally you need to consider these new roofs as potentially problematic until proven a mature product. Especially since you live in a climate with ice and snow.

I just received a quote for a solar roof installed on my home. My roof is leaking and needs to be replaced in the next few months. My concern is that I'm not sure of I'm going to be in my home for more than another 5-10 years. Has anyone who had the roof installed had a new appraisal since then? Tesla told me they expect about 4% increase in resale value. I would have felt a lot better had they said closer to 8%.

I am not a real estate professional, but I would think you could contact one in your area (your SPECIFIC market), and find out how much having solar in general improves resale (if any). This totally depends on how desirable this is in your area, which would depend on how much electricity people tend to need in your area for things like Air Conditoning, Pool pumps, or other higher draw things.

This (like all real estate questions) would be HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY (highly) area dependent. For example, one could not just say " In southern california, Solar increases resale value XXX". You "could" say that, but "averages" mean jack Sh*t when dealing with real estate. It doesnt matter what the average is, it matters what it is for YOU in your area.

In my specific area, it is Hotter in summer and colder in winter, and Solar works very well here. Electricity is also very expensive here, and most houses have some sort of tile roof, and not regular shingles. All recipes for increased home values for solar panels and roofs.

Places that do not have these characteristics would have less of an increase, or possibly no increase at all.

Reactions: Brennerman
To add, the roof is new to the market, while solar panels have been around long enough to see how they effect values.

Some other items to consider the solar roof is tiled roof, so a longer time frame to roof replacements. It Is also energy producing. Example is my area is regular shingles. This will be a premium product for my area.

Once the market understands this product, I would guess it will increase the value by more than 4% on average.

Reactions: willow_hiller
To add, the roof is new to the market, while solar panels have been around long enough to see how they effect values.

Some other items to consider the solar roof is tiled roof, so a longer time frame to roof replacements. It Is also energy producing. Example is my area is regular shingles. This will be a premium product for my area.

Once the market understands this product, I would guess it will increase the value by more than 4% on average.

That 4% figure comes from this piece of research on traditional solar panels from Zillow: Homes With Solar Panels Sell for 4.1% More - Zillow Research

I would figure that since the solarglass roof is more aesthetically pleasing than traditional solar panels and more of an initial investment, it would increase a home's value more than traditional panels.

In my specific area, it is Hotter in summer and colder in winter, and Solar works very well here. Electricity is also very expensive here, and most houses have some sort of tile roof, and not regular shingles. All recipes for increased home values for solar panels and roofs.

Places that do not have these characteristics would have less of an increase, or possibly no increase at all.

I am also going to guess in SD $1 million for a home is pretty common. So spending $60,000 on a roof for a $1-2 million home is much more palatable than on a $200,000 home.

I am also going to guess in SD a $1 million for a home is pretty common. So spending $60,000 on a roof for a $1-2 million home is much more palatable than on a $200,000 home.

It would depend on where you are. Things are spread out a lot more down here than up there (at least on the bay side). Even nice areas, housing is not up to 1-2 million for a "normal" home... unlike nor cal where in many places a shack is 1 million, lol

It would depend on where you are. Things are spread out a lot more down here than up there (at least on the bay side). Even nice areas, housing is not up to 1-2 million for a "normal" home... unlike nor cal where in many places a shack is 1 million, lol

I know my sister's house is expensive. She is in Pacific Beach.

And you are right about in NorCal. Many houses by me are $1-3M and we are 20+ miles from the SF bay.

Updates from Tesla. All permits approved. Anyone know where we go from here and any guesses at time frames to start?

We cleaned garage and stripped all of the shelves and other stuff from the wall where they are to place the Powerwalls. The other boxes are supposed to be on the outside of that wall, but there is now plenty of clear space to put them inside. PG&E meter is also on that wall.

I suggest anyone installing solar glass consider keeping some replacement tile for non warranty repairs. Tesla will likely only manufacture the current version for a few years. They will need to keep some inventory for warranty repairs. I would not necessarily count on them having repair parts for sale in 5-10 years.

Tesla should, of course, keep a substantial inventory of this generation of roof when they move to the next gen. But I'm skeptical of repair parts being easily available over the life of the roof.

Just curious - it may have already been answered - are these new solar panels only available in specific states? WHen I go here - Design Your Solar the drop down only has a few states. Are they in the process of training roofers in other states or starting with a small group of states for beta testing?

Probably yes to both "training roofers in other states" and likely not quite "beta testing", although we all are consistently beta testing tesla products, so when one buys something tesla, you have to understand and be ok with that. They probably targeted states with a decent penetration of solar activity in general or states that are conducive to solar (lots of sun, weather sort of conducive to solar, etc).

I know they are flying installers around though so they have tesla installers traveling around to help meet install demand for the product.

Reactions: jboy210 and boed
Probably yes to both "training roofers in other states" and likely not quite "beta testing", although we all are consistently beta testing tesla products, so when one buys something tesla, you have to understand and be ok with that. They probably targeted states with a decent penetration of solar activity in general or states that are conducive to solar (lots of sun, weather sort of conducive to solar, etc).

I know they are flying installers around though so they have tesla installers traveling around to help meet install demand for the product.

I think another factor is the cost of the system. If you compare a solarglass roof to a new basic asphalt shingle roof and solar panels there is a significant gap. If you compare to an new tile roof and solar panels the solarglass roof is close in price, if not cheaper.

Reactions: boed and jjrandorin
Anyone know of someone getting a Tesla Solar glass install on a new home? I'd like to do this but so far all I've seens is replacement roofing. I'm wondering if they can do an analysis on a house without a roof by blueprint and lot layout.