Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solarglass Roof - V3 - any customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know the feasibility of doing the north facing side of the house in traditional shingles and the south siding in solar shingles? With a ridge vent? Will it work?

We have them on both sides. But only a bit on the North side. Most of that roof is inactive tiles. House is about 3 degrees off N-S. However, I am curious to see how much production we get from the North side. The sun really beats down on this roof from Mar - Oct. But the angle is steep in Spring and Fall.

We don't have ridge vents so cannot comment on those.

I suspect it would be a significant effort to get the Solarglass Roof to match-up with a different roof on the other side, keep in mind that the roof surface on the Solarglass Roof sits an inch or more off the actual roof decking. Any other roof that sat directly on the deck would have to deal with this gap anywhere where the two interfaced. If you had an inch-tall gap right after the ridge you'd have a huge hole for all sorts of things to get into the vent space, from water to pretty big pests. Ultimately (at least so far) it's Tesla designing things, they're the ones would would have to be comfortable with it, so they would be the ones to ask.

That isn't what the OP was asking (or at least not how I understood it). They were asking for Solarglass Roof on one plane, and a non-Solarglass Roof ("traditional shingles") on another plane. That's not the same as PV Modules on one and Roofing Modules on the other, which doesn't have the height different that I described.

Reactions: CSFTN
I don't see how the thickness difference in the two different roofing materials would really matter at a ridge.

If there's no ridge vent, you install the thinner roofing material up to the ridge, then temporarily put a stop board over the roofing extending above the ridge. Now you install your thicker roofing material up to the stop board, and the ridge cap as normal.

If there is a ridge vent, both sides stop maybe 2" short of the ridge (as does the decking), so no problem.

Cheers, Wayne

I found that each active panel has the specs stamped on the mounting bracket.

This matches the specs that @woferry listed.

SolarGlassPanelSpecs.jpg

Have they done a site survey yet, or do you have an appointment for one, or are they going to do a proposal without one? I thought even for panels they'd gone back to doing a survey rather than having the customer take their own pictures, and for a full roof I'd think they'd need to know a lot more about the structure, exact pipe locations, etc.

Anyway, I'm dying to see pictures/details of how the v3 install process actually goes! :) Absolutely no regrets that I have a v2, but very curious to see how much the design has evolved and what they changed.

Reactions: preilly44
I noticed that @gigawatt1010 has set up a Solar Glass tracking sheet thread, so I thought it would be a good idea to crosspost it here, in case any completed orders want to add their data: Tesla Solar Glass Install Tracker

Especially with Tesla hiring 60 roofers recently to expand installations, I'm curious how the pace of installs is going to increase going forward.