Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bittersweet day. I had never been more excited for a car. Unfortunately I got a bad egg. I am exhausted battling with Tesla.

Our early build Model Y was plagued with build quality issues. It is beyond me why Tesla could not get this car fixed. I should have never accepted delivery. It was peak pandemic March 2020 and the car was left in front of house with keys.

Every time I brought it in for repair they broke something else. Its sad when your afraid to take your car for service. However the mobile service crew was great when they came to switch out wheels and fix damage done at the service center.

• Factory hood damage took 3 visits and 7 months to repair. While fixing hood tech must have stuck something on dash creating deep scratches across dash Tesla would not repair. Also when I sold the vehicle Carmax pointed out they stripped the hood bolt installing the new hood which I am sure affected my quote.

• Rear wing fell off. Tesla replaced and some how left 6in to metal scratched car installing new wing. Brought car back and Tesla somehow got paint on rear glass fixing scratch tech used razor blade to scrape off and scratched glass.

• Car had weird overspray on lower rocker panel. Took 6 months for Tesla body shop appointment to get fixed, was in loaner 1 month waiting for Tesla to repair. When the car came back Tesla some how had overspray paint on interior of car and broke the driver seat. Instead of replacing seat Tesla tried to order new booster cushions. Seat never looked right after this.

• Car came equipped with exterior back up speaker from factory. Tesla would not allow me to activate boombox and unplugged speaker during service appointment because they said it was not on my build page.

• Tesla replaced door handles due to breaking mounts while car was in service trying to fix indented door handles. For some reason after new door handles were installed they decided to buff them and damaged paint around door handles my guess is they scratched the door or the handles during install tried to cover up. Never had them fix because I was worried they would cause more damage paid out of own pocket to have a detail shop buff and repair.

• Tesla Taillights on driver side fogged up. When Tesla fixed they installed new version of taillights. Requested they replace the other side with new taillights so they matched. They said no and ordered the old style taillights. My new old style taillights had same issue and fogged up.

• Rear carpet on lift gate came unglued Tesla repaired and got glue residue on rear carpets.

I hope you guys have better luck then me. Not sure I will be a Tesla owner again it has been an extremely aggravating experience. BTW Tesla offered to buy my Model Y Performance with 8k for 40k which was exactly what I owed on it. Carmax paid 60k.
I have had many of the same issues with build quality and arrogant tesla SC attitude. the mobile guys are good and are pissed off at the problems they have to fix from the factory and SC. it is true that when they fix one problem it's likely they will break or scratch something else. which SC you use makes a huge difference as some just don't give a F. Had the mobile guy by again the find out why it was smoking at the supercharger. he took the cover off the frunk area and broke the plastic clips so it completely fell off on my next drive.....a lot of stuff won't go back together properly once taken apart because it's cheap plastic that never fit properly in the first place(many parts don't align). he ordered a replacement for that and everything else broken including he carpet coming loose on the hatch. as stated by OP they tried to glue his back................some SC will try to shortcut or cover things up, others will replace with new parts......that's the difference

I have one of the early PUP MY, and have had many issues with it. Recently the car was towed twice (15 months in with less than 10k on it), and I had enough. The car was in service for over three weeks, and I made some noise that didn’t make Tesla too happy. They offered me a buyback, deducted $5k for pay the full price I paid. I can say that despite my frustration about the issues, Tesla in Chicagoland has done the right thing, and I ordered the same car.

I feel your pain. I picked my car up (Model Y LR) 4 months ago today. It went in for warranty issues on the 26th of April. In that time it has spent 54 non consecutive days with Tesla service, been returned with a bent hood, door dings, scratched paintwork and damaged/dirty headliner to name some of the issues.

I picked it up today since the repairs are on hold because Tesla just can't seem to provide a headliner that isn't either dirty or damaged and I am now waiting for their business resolution team to contact me. The repairs carried out to the car have been substandard to say the least, the new hood was poorly painted. The driver's side door has also been repainted and the rear door blended.

For a first experience with Tesla, this has been a complete and utter disaster.

Reactions: InternetDude
Bittersweet day. I had never been more excited for a car. Unfortunately I got a bad egg. I am exhausted battling with Tesla.

Our early build Model Y was plagued with build quality issues. It is beyond me why Tesla could not get this car fixed. I should have never accepted delivery. It was peak pandemic March 2020 and the car was left in front of house with keys.

Every time I brought it in for repair they broke something else. Its sad when your afraid to take your car for service. However the mobile service crew was great when they came to switch out wheels and fix damage done at the service center.

• Factory hood damage took 3 visits and 7 months to repair. While fixing hood tech must have stuck something on dash creating deep scratches across dash Tesla would not repair. Also when I sold the vehicle Carmax pointed out they stripped the hood bolt installing the new hood which I am sure affected my quote.

• Rear wing fell off. Tesla replaced and some how left 6in to metal scratched car installing new wing. Brought car back and Tesla somehow got paint on rear glass fixing scratch tech used razor blade to scrape off and scratched glass.

• Car had weird overspray on lower rocker panel. Took 6 months for Tesla body shop appointment to get fixed, was in loaner 1 month waiting for Tesla to repair. When the car came back Tesla some how had overspray paint on interior of car and broke the driver seat. Instead of replacing seat Tesla tried to order new booster cushions. Seat never looked right after this.

• Car came equipped with exterior back up speaker from factory. Tesla would not allow me to activate boombox and unplugged speaker during service appointment because they said it was not on my build page.

• Tesla replaced door handles due to breaking mounts while car was in service trying to fix indented door handles. For some reason after new door handles were installed they decided to buff them and damaged paint around door handles my guess is they scratched the door or the handles during install tried to cover up. Never had them fix because I was worried they would cause more damage paid out of own pocket to have a detail shop buff and repair.

• Tesla Taillights on driver side fogged up. When Tesla fixed they installed new version of taillights. Requested they replace the other side with new taillights so they matched. They said no and ordered the old style taillights. My new old style taillights had same issue and fogged up.

• Rear carpet on lift gate came unglued Tesla repaired and got glue residue on rear carpets.

I hope you guys have better luck then me. Not sure I will be a Tesla owner again it has been an extremely aggravating experience. BTW Tesla offered to buy my Model Y Performance with 8k for 40k which was exactly what I owed on it. Carmax paid 60k.

Horror stories like these make me worry for when mine gets delivered in the fall, seems to be a lot to worry about browsing this forum haha.
Over the past 20 years I've been a member of lots of vehicle or brand specific internet forums (Jeep, BMW, Mini, Audi, etc.) . In every single one of them, the impression you could get from reading the forum was that the vehicle in question was plagued with problems. The reality is that all manufacturers have lemons and that the number of people who turn to a forum to research a problem is far greater than those who join to say their ownership experience has been trouble free.

im getting close to selling mine as well which sucks. I will be back but going to wait 5 or so more years until the battery tech is better. The range is just not sufficient for me, I dont want to dick around with finding chargers on long road trips, and i just cant tow with the car. Plus, the resale on this car is so high right now i can actually MAKE money (and i got screwed on my deal)...

I think its a great urban vehicle and it will hoestly be a sad day to step into some other ICE car but for my needs towing and driving to more remote locations up in the hills this is just not enough utility. Its fast as all hell tho ! I still cant believe its basically a lambo hurrican up to 120 mph. super fun to drive and super stealth, I will really miss it

Horror stories like these make me worry for when mine gets delivered in the fall, seems to be a lot to worry about browsing this forum haha.
I’m with @TwelveVoltMan in that a lot of posts here are negative. I find the Y to be fantastic and my experience has been great. I didn’t even have any alignment issues or anything at delivery. I have a couple areas the alignment of panels could’ve been a tiny bit better. I don’t worry about those trivial things though. I didn’t even inspect my Jeep when I purchased it. I looked this one over more just because of the hyper activity of this forum. I swear people go to delivery day with a microscope. Enjoy the vehicle and the cost savings. We have been on so many road trips and the supercharger network is so well built out. I don’t have issues finding chargers or the wait times. We have been north, south, east and west of St. Louis. Never had a issue reaching someplace. I hope you enjoy your vehicle when you get it!

I’m with @TwelveVoltMan in that a lot of posts here are negative. I find the Y to be fantastic and my experience has been great. I didn’t even have any alignment issues or anything at delivery. I have a couple areas the alignment of panels could’ve been a tiny bit better. I don’t worry about those trivial things though. I didn’t even inspect my Jeep when I purchased it. I looked this one over more just because of the hyper activity of this forum. I swear people go to delivery day with a microscope. Enjoy the vehicle and the cost savings. We have been on so many road trips and the supercharger network is so well built out. I don’t have issues finding chargers or the wait times. We have been north, south, east and west of St. Louis. Never had a issue reaching someplace. I hope you enjoy your vehicle when you get it!

I had a few QC issues at delivery. But I've thoroughly enjoyed my ownership experience so far with the MYP.

Reactions: Schulz1983
I have one of the early PUP MY, and have had many issues with it. Recently the car was towed twice (15 months in with less than 10k on it), and I had enough. The car was in service for over three weeks, and I made some noise that didn’t make Tesla too happy. They offered me a buyback, deducted $5k for pay the full price I paid. I can say that despite my frustration about the issues, Tesla in Chicagoland has done the right thing, and I ordered the same car.
I hope you have good luck with the new one!

My experience of delivery and ownership has been remarkably similar to yours.

Thx for this

Reactions: Ormond
Yea no one comes to the forums to seek why their car is performing as it should and how amazing it is

they come to seek answers as to why something(as they should) is jacked up etc.

i came from an accord and i was on their forums and it was the same all you saw was problem threads
People seeking answers and solutions

To add my model Y was pristine no issues no gaps and so far trouble free so far

But IF i have a problem that hasn’t been posted you would see me make a thread as well etc.