TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Solution to transfer a Model reservation 3 to your friend.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MXWing, Aug 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Since it has been asked 1000 times now and will be asked 100,000 times in the future I found a full proof solution that doesn't involve concerns about tax credits, double tax liability or all the hassle involved with finding workarounds.

Marry your friend and you can now either do

1.) Dual title on same car.

2.) Ask Tesla to change the reservation to your new spouse.

--

Personally, I'd go CPO S if my budget was capped at 50k for a Tesla and I wanted the experience sooner but the above solution works.

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 1
  2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Some people marry for love, others for money, a few even for a green card. Marrying for a Tesla might be the best one yet.

PS. I only married my wife because she said it was ok to buy a Tesla in the future. ;)

• Funny x 4
    • Love x 1
  3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Now we have Tesla Brides.... :D. Ya never know....

• Funny x 4
  4. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

What if you are already married... polygamy is ok right? Or, maybe my wife will divorce me so I can marry my friend. I am going to ask her that, if you guys dont hear from again, you know it did not go so well.

• Funny x 7
  5. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

Any method that circumvents your states tax laws would most likely be tax fraud. If you plan to commit tax fraud is probably best you not post your plans here. If you think it is wrong it probably is wrong. A prime example is titling the car in two names then removing one name at a later date.

6. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Member

Or it went so well that you're so happy in your new life that you don't need us anymore...

7. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

What happens to the Model 3 if you and your friend later dissolve the sham marriage and you live in a community property state? Joint custody? Weekend visitation? Heaven forbid, forced to sell it and split the proceeds? Pre-nup may be a smart move.

• Funny x 1
  8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

The car drives itself to your house on weekends. Sometimes a Model S has to supervise the visits.

• Funny x 1