Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solutions to get around the garage door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem was my garage door limit was set very low and crushed the flexible seal, therefore the bottom of the door was actually compressing the cable.

Just to clarify - I replaced the seal, not modify it. I then raised the closed limit on the garage door.

At my in-laws, I simply close the door because the bottom of the garage door does not compress the cable.

The OP’s original post implied that his garage door was compressing the cable, thus whyi posted my suggestion.
even if the door is compressing the cable, I assume it doesn't really affect the cable, right?

even if the door is compressing the cable, I assume it doesn't really affect the cable, right?

Sure. If your cable is being compressed by the garage door bottom seal, no issues with that. If your seal is flattened because your door frame is touching the floor...and you want to squeeze a 1" cable underneath that, I suggest you raise the limit of the door and replace your seal. Or you can just raise the limit or just crack the door open and have a gap underneath.

I've had heavy-duty extension cord insulation crack/tear on me from repeatedly doing something similar - not taking chances with my charging cable that is carrying 48 AMPS @ 240V.

You do you.

Watching this with interest (although it seems to have petered out). Just ordered my MY and it will be sitting in the driveway until I can get my garage rearranged. My charging cord is going to go under my garage door from a 240v outlet I'm having installed inside the garage.

I'd consider that, except I'd have to rewire the circuit to make that happen. I'd either have to have them dig a trench in the floor of the garage and then cover it up with cement/epoxy, or run along the wall, ceiling, and down the other wall, in order to mount it there. The ceiling in the garage is around 9-10 feet tall, and about 15 feet wide. That adds another 25+ feet of wiring.

I'll try to describe the layout: the electrical panel is in the basement in the southwest corner of the house. The garage and driveway are on the northwest corner of the house.

If I did plan for this, does it make sense to just run the hot-hot-ground for a HWC or should I have them run the neutral and cap it in the event I have to change this to something else down the road (like a 14-50)

Thanks for your suggestion.
Not sure what you eventually ended up doing, but I wholeheartedly recommend the Wall Connector mounted outside. That's what I did and I love it.
If you have already have an outlet in the garage you may be able to remove the outlet and use the box for a splice.