Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some more insight into the VIN...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So last week we declined our Y (VIN 14804) due to the issues we saw at delivery. Yesterday I got assigned a new VIN (219XX) but no estimated delivery date, but seeing how people are taking delivery of VINs in the 23xxx range and above, my first thought was whether I am being assigned a car built a week or two ago, or one possibly rejected by someone else.

I called Tesla to inquire. They basically said this VIN is still in pre-production, meaning it hasn't started being built yet. When I asked about VIN ranges, he said they're not exactly random, but they also don't follow a sequence necessarily. so this VIN has been assigned to a vehicle with my specs that's lower than many of the current VINs being delivered, but just hasn't been built yet.
So hopefully this provides some clarity...or further confusion...on VIN assignments.

Well that's more info than I got when I called in. Encoraged you got reassigned so quickly.
I also declined a Y last week and was told the standard 4-8 weeks. Delivery center refused to say if I'd be assigned like a new customer, or sooner, or later(!) the second time around.

I've been waiting pre covid but many peeps still waiting since early last year. I have a sinking feeling covid will close the factory again and we'll all be waiting through next year :oops:

got a VIN assigned and asked to pay the balance. Does this mean it's ready pending payment? Or just starting assembly? Was thinking of taking delivery mid-august, so was curious if it's worth to have them "delay" it. Don't remember the exact timeline for my 2017 S.