Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some stuff I wrote on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2. Auto Pilot will be standard on all variants. You will not need to buy it as an option, yippy !
Incorrect. The Model 3 site says "Autopilot Hardware."
It does not say enabled by default.
Model 3 | Tesla Motors

8. The rear window and the roof are one painted glass that provides plenty of headroom and a feeling of openness.
Most likely an option. The engineers on the drive videos said there'll be a metal roof, and a retractable roof (if I recall the wording correctly) as well.

Some people will take issue with 1, saying "Tesla has always been behind schedule before," but I prefer to be somewhat optimistic until proven otherwise. Tesla's been building up their factory capacity and making investments. They're trying to engineer for a simple no hassle build, unlike past projects.

Last edited:
Incorrect. The Model 3 site says "Autopilot Hardware."
It does not say enabled by default.
Model 3 | Tesla Motors

Most likely an option. The engineers on the drive videos said there'll be a metal roof, and a retractable roof (if I recall the wording correctly) as well.

Some people will take issue with 1, saying "Tesla has always been behind schedule before," but I prefer to be somewhat optimistic until proven otherwise. Tesla's been building up their factory capacity and making investments. They're trying to engineer for a simple no hassle build, unlike past projects.

Thanks for the feedback, but I heard Elon Musk saying autopilot in the unveil event, have to listen again carefully... if it's optional it'll bring down some enthusiasm out of the masses. :)

Thanks for the feedback, but I heard Elon Musk saying autopilot in the unveil event, have to listen again carefully... if it's optional it'll bring down some enthusiasm out of the masses. :)

All cars will have Autopilot hardware, and safety functions (e.g. frontal collision detection etc) from those hardware will be available to every one.
But the actual Autopilot function will be an optional activation.

In point 10, you mentioned "the most advanced fuel cell" - battery is not considered a fuel cell. Fuel cell usually refers to Hydrogen fuel cars.

Elon explains the rear window in 12th min, must be standard :(

You two may be talking about different thing.
The glass in Model 3 has 3 sections - the front windshield, the middle top roof section and the long rear glass.
The front windshield and the rear long glass are standard.

What S'Toon refers to is the middle top roof section where you have the option of a glass roof, metal roof or a retractable sunroof.

• Helpful
Reactions: PaulJB and X-Auto
You two may be talking about different thing.
The glass in Model 3 has 3 sections - the front windshield, the middle top roof section and the long rear glass.
The front windshield and the rear long glass are standard.

What S'Toon refers to is the middle top roof section where you have the option of a glass roof, metal roof or a retractable sunroof.
Correct. I was referring to the top. About 15 secs or so into this video, the engineer talks about the roof options.

As for the autopilot, about 11 minutes in to the reveal video, Elon talks about the autopilot. He says the hardware is standard, and safety features will be enabled. He doesn't say the full autopilot package is enabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: X-Auto
On the S and X, activation is $2500 if ordered at delivery and $3000 after deliver. I assume it will be comparable, but may be less because of the target buyers and the 3 being more affordable. Although as an S or X buyer, I would be upset having to pay more for essentially the same option to be activated, unless the autopilot features will be different between the models to justify the cost difference.

@Zaphod $2500 - 3000 will be too much for the Model 3 buyers and yes it's strange to have it as an option on S & X. There could be a way to hack the system and activate it yourself.. :D hahaha cause I believe the software is already installed, what they do is just activate it.

I feel charging the exact same price for AP on a M≡ that they do on the S and the X is perfectly fine.

Software companies don't charge different prices based on what computer you're running their work on.

That's essentially all AP is - Software that translates what the hardware is seeing.

Expect to pay the same as everyone else. :cool:

@Zaphod $2500 - 3000 will be too much for the Model 3 buyers and yes it's strange to have it as an option on S & X. There could be a way to hack the system and activate it yourself.. :D hahaha cause I believe the software is already installed, what they do is just activate it.

I doubt it will be too much. It is a compelling feature, and may well be verging on L4 automation by the time Model 3 ships. Tesla has to achieve decent margins on the car, and software upgrades have fabulous margins.