Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Somebody selling my wrecked model 3 VIN in a different car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s a really good chance that your model 3 was bought by someone who repairs salvaged vehicles. Since you had the nicer interior they likely swapped it into a different car, repaired this one and is now selling it.

Would a white interior really be worth that much work? They'd be swapping out the front and back seats, the insides of all the doors, and the dash.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Something shady is going on.
The insurance agency totaled my old model 3. I have been spying on it. Today it showed up in Miami (I'm in Houston)
I can even remote connect to it and everything....

Turns out some auto dealer has it for sale:
2018 Tesla Model 3 / Autopilot Motors Trust | Auto dealership in Miami

But since mine was a white interior this has to be a different car, with my VIN (and computer) in it.
Either way, please don't buy this model 3 VIN: 5YJ3E1EA8JF155257

Or if somebody is in Miami and wants to play detective, check to see if they changed the VIN under the window as well.
GPS location 25.863376,-80.242796
Someone took the car you inadvertently discarded and wants to re-use it (whether for profit or not) rather than let it rot?

Well, Color me shocked.

That being said, if it was deemed salvage then it should be sold as such but the vibe im getting here is that the car should never again see the road which goes against sustainably responsible motoring.

@drsnooker wasnt your car black and had the purple wrap? I don’t understand why you are blowing this up. Someone bought your car and changed the interior to a black one. There is nothing shady going on here unless the actual chassis of the car has a different vin sticker on it. Which you don’t have proof of

i take it that he's saying that his car, by VIN, was totaled, and (whichever parts of it - still undertermined) is now apparently being listed (and priced) as a clean vehicle.

he's not claiming any ownership or rights to it. he's just providing caveat emptor. which is a good public service

i take it that he's saying that his car, by VIN, was totaled, and (whichever parts of it - still undertermined) is now apparently being listed (and priced) as a clean vehicle.

he's not claiming any ownership or rights to it. he's just providing caveat emptor. which is a good public service
His car was sold with a Clean title at the IAA auction. See the link he provided to the sale of his car. That’s not his issue to worry about with how his car is titled now. In NY, I believe I would still get a salvage title, however with some stated you can keep a clean title.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Report them for what? From what I can tell someone replaced the interior with a black one.
I would let the state officials figure it out. Just give them the facts, if they decide to do a look around, what's the harm in that? It's not the interior replacement that is an issue, when they go to tesla to register it, that's when the issues will begin. The question is the VIN on the car - does it match the VIN for the registered OS? Also they need to disclose the accident/modification - which they are avoiding in the ad.

Here is how Tesla might react - well the car body is a VIN -that was registered to an owner on March 2018, but the OS/MCU was registered to an owner in November 2018, what date will Tesla honor the warranty until? The body or the OS/MCU Vin?

I would let the state officials figure it out. Just give them the facts, if they decide to do a look around, what's the harm in that? It's not the interior replacement that is an issue, when they go to tesla to register it, that's when the issues will begin. The question is the VIN on the car - does it match the VIN for the registered OS? Also they need to disclose the accident/modification - which they are avoiding in the ad.

Here is how Tesla might react - well the car body is a VIN -that was registered to an owner on March 2018, but the OS/MCU was registered to an owner in November 2018, what date will Tesla honor the warranty until? The body or the OS/MCU Vin?
Who said the vin of the body does not match the vin of the OS? There is absolutely nothing compelling in any of these posts to even warrant any official to investigate anything based on the posts here.

Let’s get a few things sorted out.
1. Model 3 gets into accident in TX and goes to the auction.
2. car sells at IAA auction with a clean title
3. New owner in FL fixes the model 3, changes the interior to a black one. And removed the purple wrap.
4. New owner lists the model 3 as a clean title car(which it is) but doesn’t mention any accident history (that’s on the seller).

other than not disclosing accident history in the ad, I don’t see anything wrong here.

Last edited:
As far as warranty on this car. Tesla specifically mentions salvage titles cars losing their warranty after an accident. This car never had a salvage title so you would think it’s still valid. However, this warranty might be void if Tesla someone finds out if was repaired by someone other than a Tesla approved shop. (I’m fairly certain it was not repaired by a Tesla approved shop, as their would be no money in flipping this car).

You don't see the ethical sales/marketing issue?
I haven’t looked into this company but my guess is this is what they do. It is a little sketchy. An uninformed buyer can definitely fall for this. A thorough buyer would find out it has been in an accident either by purchasing a car fax, googling the vin, or asking the seller.

I’m personally not aware of any law that requires you to disclose accident history.