Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Somebody selling my wrecked model 3 VIN in a different car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! That created quite the storm.... White interior is also doors and dash. The center console was also wrapped (but with white). Most outside body panels were replaced, hard to tell from the pictures but a lot of stuff got squished into the doors. There was also a ding in the rear quarter panel. And the drivers side steering mechanics was bent. So long story short, massive overhaul. In my best estimate (from photographs) the only thing used from my car was the skateboard minus the front drivers side wheel.

So yeah somebody rebuilt it. Is it kosher? Dunno... Fishy, most definitely!

Last edited:
I’m personally not aware of any law that requires you to disclose accident history.
no law against previous owners disclosing it, either

and of course, used cars sellers acquire their stock through different means like auctions and wholesale trades, so nobody should expect that they (1) know the vehicle history or (2) are forthcoming about it or even (3) truthful about it

Wow! That created quite the storm.... White interior is also doors and dash. The center console was also wrapped (but with white)
So yeah somebody rebuilt it. Is it kosher? Dunno... Fishy, most definitely!
Yea it did create quite a storm. What’s fishy is that you don’t own the car but have access to the car still. You can login to your Tesla account and remove it manually now, if I’m not mistaken.

Attachments

• 248917AC-7DAD-4A03-98E4-38BB71574A37.jpeg
    248917AC-7DAD-4A03-98E4-38BB71574A37.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 87
dennisvab and EletriclAC are so high and mighty. I can tell when their ICE cars get totaled, they make sure to give the insurance company their spare keys. :rolleyes:
OP should have forked over his key cards too, huh? o_O
I haven’t been in that situation. I’m fairly certain you know that this is different. Your Tesla account gives you far more capabilities that just having a “key” to your car. Plus I’m giving the original poster a hard time because he went out on a limb and posted some crazy speculations.

I'm not sure why so many people are complaining about this posting. In my mind, this is extremely useful and valuable info.

1) A warning about buying this specific (previously totaled) vehicle that is being represented as having a 'clean title'. Imagine how you would feel if you bought it, and found out 3 months later about it's accident history & diminished value

2) A warning not to trust the dealership that is now selling the car, as they likely have done this in the past, and will continue to do so in the future.

I'm not sure why so many people are complaining about this posting. In my mind, this is extremely useful and valuable info.

1) A warning about buying this specific (previously totaled) vehicle that is being represented as having a 'clean title'. Imagine how you would feel if you bought it, and found out 3 months later about it's accident history & diminished value

2) A warning not to trust the dealership that is now selling the car, as they likely have done this in the past, and will continue to do so in the future.
While I agree with your points, that is not what the OP’s post is portraying. He’s putting out false accusations about what happened to his previous car. Just read the title of this thread again.

i dont get the issue. you totalled the model 3, it got sold, someone restored it. whats the issue?
yup, that's what I was thinking. OP, why do you care? I wouldn't bother if it were my car. ;) I got other things to do. Maybe it is just a curiosity thing, so I can understand that, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions that something shady is going on.

Last edited:
I think there are is a misunderstandings about the distinctions between a 'clean' title, and an accident free vehicle. They are not the same thing. A 'totaled' vehicle also does not automatically get a corresponding 'salvage', 'rebuilt' or other title. Usually they do, but not always.

Bottom line: if you are purchasing a used vehicle, don't count on the seller to tell you everything about the car, especially if it will diminish the value of a potential sale. Always do a Carfax or ClearVIN and perform your due diligence. Because of Tesla's unique policy on unsupported or salvage vehicles (Privacy & Legal | Tesla), this due diligence is even more important.

The dealer in question offers a free carfax. While the commentators in this thread are welcome to contact the authorities etc., the posting for the car is just an advertisement.

upload_2020-1-27_10-16-30.png

Something shady is going on.
The insurance agency totaled my old model 3. I have been spying on it. Today it showed up in Miami (I'm in Houston)
I can even remote connect to it and everything....

Turns out some auto dealer has it for sale:
2018 Tesla Model 3 / Autopilot Motors Trust | Auto dealership in Miami

But since mine was a white interior this has to be a different car, with my VIN (and computer) in it.
Either way, please don't buy this model 3 VIN: 5YJ3E1EA8JF155257

Or if somebody is in Miami and wants to play detective, check to see if they changed the VIN under the window as well.
GPS location 25.863376,-80.242796
it probably has a salvage title.

I stand by the assertion that it is a different car. I did not claim somebody put the original computer in a stolen vehicle, or a flooded one or salvage title which would actually be indistinguishable from the observations. I'm still not making that claim if you want to argue that as well. If you are inferring that, well go right ahead.
There was a molding burr on the ceiling liner and a small ding in the roof glass both are gone as well. Perhaps they did replace the ceiling liner and the glass and fixed all the panel gaps. Sure, I can except that. But that seems like a lot of extra work for a flip.

But it's good to know people are defending used car dealers! And at least they are creating a market for damaged vehicles.

Is it possible that they bought the salvaged vehicle to use it for parts and we're all assuming that the one for sale is your old one? If you pull up the Tesla app on your phone and touch the location, it will show you down to the meter where the car is parked. Perhaps it's sitting in the back awaiting dissection.

For instance, right now mine is in my parking spot at my office:

Screenshot_20200127-104758_Tesla.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC