Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Somebody selling my wrecked model 3 VIN in a different car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what it shows in the CarFax report. If it doesn't show the accident based on the VIN then there is some manipulation going on.

Plus, that's why I don't trust third party dealership...super fishy.

FYI, Carfax is not a reliable way to check the history of a car. It’s voluntary for insurance companies to submit to. I would estimate 50-75% of accidents are on those reports.

Let’s get a few things sorted out.
1. Model 3 gets into accident in TX and goes to the auction.
Does state law require that since the insurance company totaled the car that information be disclosed ?

2. car sells at IAA auction with a clean title
See above
3. New owner in FL fixes the model 3, changes the interior to a black one. And removed the purple wrap.
Conjecture

Question: If the MCU and/or battery from a totaled car is put in a different car, does state law require that history be disclosed in the sate where the car is sold ? If yes, but no in Florida then this is laundering

• Disagree
Reactions: dennisvab
I wouldn't jump to conclusions that something shady is going on.
You have got to be kidding. The non-disclosure of the accident and insurance company totaling of the car, followed by whatever (currently speculative) Frankenstein job is not up for debate.

Talk about diminished value ! Moreover, I'm far from sure that Tesla will warrant this reincarnated car.

Kudos to OP

Last edited:
You have got to be kidding. The non-disclosure of the accident and insurance company totaling of the car, followed by whatever (currently speculative) Frankenstein job is not up for debate.

Talk about diminished value ! Moreover, I'm far from sure that Tesla will warrant this reincarnated car.

Kudos to OP
Well no I wasn't kidding. :) My point is that many people seem to automatically think negatively these days whenever there is a problem, just like you are, and it isn't even your car. You are just hearing what other are saying and making a "far from certain" conclusion. I'm going to guess that many people here might also assume that if a person cuts them off on the freeway that it is intentional, but it just might be that a driver is in a panic situation trying to get someone to a hospital. :) Unfortunately, I won't be seeing any of your replies.

So theoretically, if someone had root in a 3, could they hardwire something small like a Raspberry Pi to monitor `sdv GUI_odometer <mileage>; sdv VAPI_odometer <mileage>` and set it back to whatever they want when the gateway resets it periodically?

Asking for a friend... :p :p :p

Technically yes, but Tesla can pull info from HiRes odometer fairly easy. And I don't know many people who can have root on 3 and do this kind of stuff it's not worth it

Who said the vin of the body does not match the vin of the OS? There is absolutely nothing compelling in any of these posts to even warrant any official to investigate anything based on the posts here.

Let’s get a few things sorted out.
1. Model 3 gets into accident in TX and goes to the auction.
2. car sells at IAA auction with a clean title
3. New owner in FL fixes the model 3, changes the interior to a black one. And removed the purple wrap.
4. New owner lists the model 3 as a clean title car(which it is) but doesn’t mention any accident history (that’s on the seller).

other than not disclosing accident history in the ad, I don’t see anything wrong here.
There are a few States left that don't have salvage title, so that if you sell to somebody in that state, it washes the title. It's a form of Fraud that some commit by doing this and several folks have been convicted. There was even TV show / custom Auto host that was convicted over a decade ago.

So I did some research and here is what I have concluded.

The insurance company might have declared your car a total loss, but the state that the insurance company retitled it gave it a clean title designation.

This is because the repair cost/car's value ratio was under the state's threshold to be branded as a salvaged vehicle.

Thus the clean title is a fair designation and the dealer isn't lying about it having a clean title. And this is a legal sell.

So I did some research and here is what I have concluded.

The insurance company might have declared your car a total loss, but the state that the insurance company retitled it gave it a clean title designation.

This is because the repair cost/car's value ratio was under the state's threshold to be branded as a salvaged vehicle.

Thus the clean title is a fair designation and the dealer isn't lying about it having a clean title. And this is a legal sell.
Hopefully Tesla sees it this way too and doesn’t decide to cripple the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
I understand wanting to emphasize consistency across the brand by crippling “rogue cars” by making them half as useful but it works against them when..

a) They can’t even get QC right on build quality **consistently**
b) Properly rebuilt Tesla’s promote sustainable use of resources.
c) Properly rebuilt Tesla’s can introduce people to the brand that otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford.
d) Parts sales and out of pocket servicing from promoting re-use/rebuild can provide a good income stream.