Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone bumped into my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am going to get a new bumper put in at Brooks Motors in Fremont.

Should I ask them to save my old bumper and return it to me? Does it have a resale value? I bet someone could find a use for it, but I am not sure how much I can sell it for and how easily...

I’m surprised you can get your old parts back. If you make an insurance claim, doesn’t it now belong to the insurance company?

From: A Consumer's Guide To Automotive Repair In California - so might only apply in CA

Return of Old Parts
When you sign the written estimate or work order, you can ask the shop to return to you any parts that were replaced. The shop is required by law to return the parts to you only if you ask for them before the work is done.

If the shop installs a rebuilt part, the old part is usually returned to the supplier as partial payment for the rebuilt part. This payment is called a "core" charge. If you want the old part back, you may have to pay the core charge.

If the shop must return the replaced parts to the supplier under a warranty, you will not be able to get those parts back, but you have a right to see them.

If the shop charges for hazardous waste disposal, the technician or service writer must list the charge and its Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) number on the invoice.

• Informative
Reactions: hpjtv