Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone got in my car and I'm going crazy trying to figure out how

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're making it sound like you have 360 degree coverage.

How would the dash cam see someone entering from the side? Would it see anything inside?

I understand it's great for front and rear accidents, don't understand how it would help here.

I have 360 coverage and can see all 4 exteriors PLUS the interior 4 doors. Simply install two dual Blackvues. The 1st big cam points to the windshield, the 2nd big cam points to the back. The 1st small cam is on the driver door pointing inside to the 2 passenger doors (passenger front and passenger back). The 2nd small cam is on the passenger door pointing inside to the driver front and back. The 2 small cams therefore see the full interiors and the 2 windows of the opposite side. Result is full coverage interior and exterior. You can see all 4 windows from the 2 small cams plus the interior. Then, I hid a tablet with sim card inside the car. From a ballgame or mall, I can see the car's outside 4 sides and the car's interior.

Reactions: Saghost and ABVA
You're making it sound like you have 360 degree coverage.

How would the dash cam see someone entering from the side? Would it see anything inside?

I understand it's great for front and rear accidents, don't understand how it would help here.

I have the 4-channel Blackvue system installed in my Model X. I have pretty close to 360 degree coverage. The normal "rear" cameras are installed on the inside of the front doors pointed out. There is a very small "dead" spot on each side out of view of the side cameras and the Rear camera, but you wouldn't be able to get into the car without being on camera.

Calibred Customs did my install and none of the wires are visible on the inside, it was perfect.

-Rob

I use Altoids cans, especially when camping or at a hotel. It already has a lid and my FOB doesn't smell like the holding bay of a trawler. ☺

If you want a very simple, cheap, and less ... pungent solution, you can get these velcro pouches on Amazon for $8 and they work like a charm. I just toss my keys in one every evening: http://amzn.to/2xwVgKc

-Rob

This passive entry attack can be thwarted using Time of Flight measurements to detect distance between car and key fob.

This method is used by Apple to prevent Apple Watch unlocking on Macs from falling prey to signal repeater attacks. I'm disappointed if Tesla hasn't figured this out
This is my favorite solution so far. It does require someone contacting Tesla with this to make sure they implement it. It is a pretty serious security concern. Someone could easily plant false criminal evidence in your car, intentionally or incidentally.

I see now that someone posted claiming Tesla permanently made the Model S's key unfixably insecure. Can't they sell new key fobs for Model S and use its bluetooth for secure entry rather than the current FOBs?

Last edited:
This is my favorite solution so far. It does require someone contacting Tesla with this to make sure they implement it. It is a pretty serious security concern. Someone could easily plant false criminal evidence in your car, intentionally or incidentally.

I see now that someone posted claiming Tesla permanently made the Model S's key unfixably insecure. Can't they sell new key fobs for Model S and use its bluetooth for secure entry rather than the current FOBs?

Tesla did recently (in 2017.34 2448cfc I believe) allow you to disable Passive Entry. Doing this completely mitigates the passive entry attack. You could still have a repeater attack, but it'll require button presses and is a whole lot harder to do.

-Rob

Akikiki said:
Yes, friend. But you are correct. Yes, its been modified from the old way that I described.

The first part I will call it is still accurate. Double click the fob, unlocks and don't open a door. Walk away. In about 1 minute, the handles will recede. With the fob out of range, walk back up and press a handle. The handles present as its unlocked. (You now have 15 seconds or less.) The second part. Whether you touch a handle to present or do not touch, now, 15 seconds later (if the door is not opened, the handles close and the car locks (It didn't used to do that). I am glad to see that they made this change.

Mahalo, friend.

Reactions: Akikiki
I have found the new Passive Entry disabling works a bit oddly. Sometimes it unlocks some doors and sometimes not. The folding mirrors also started misbehaving, not folding automatically always.

Still, I've started using it given the news. I welcome the option to do so.

A question for those discussing the "double click the fob but don't open a door" thing -- often times I'll double click the fob when I need to access something in the trunk, without interacting with any doors/handles otherwise. Does the vehicle treat the trunk the same as entry by a door? If not, then it seems like my double clicking to get in the trunk could allow someone access by touching the door handle later on.

(And yes, I know I could just push the trunk button on the fob, but sometimes we do silly things just because they happen to work.)

I'll be testing that theory later tonight unless someone knows for sure already.

Sounds like a homeless person found your car unlocked and shacked up. They weren't out to steal, just looking for a safe, quiet, comfortable (relatively) place to crash (and eat some snacks). Consider it a learning experience and a public service rolled into one.

Ultimately this is how I'm approaching it moving forward, FYI. I live in the middle of downtown, car break-ins are a daily thing you read about on Nextdoor. You can't walk a block without running into a few less fortunate people living on the street, and many of them aren't in the best mental state. I got lucky here for sure that all I'm dealing with is some garbage and a new iPhone charger, and zero damage to neither interior nor exterior of the car.

Reactions: croman
Off topic for a moment. Just a brief reminder.
There's been several threads (separate from this one) on TM and TMC where owners have been discussing recent break-ins to their cars. In the Bay area many Tesla Model S's have had the rear quarter windows broken, and rear seats have been folded down from outside the car (did not even open the door). Things have been removed from the trunks. These owners have reported that believe this is what happened. The rear quarter windows were shattered, the seat folded down, flashlight shined into the trunk, and if empty the thieves move on, if trunk has stuff in it, they open the rear door and access the trunk from the folded seat then leave. Several owners have reported the quarter windows were broken and nothing looks disturbed, but the seat is sometimes down. The quarter windows is expensive because the frame is glued to the glass.

Cars with dash cams have been broken into. Owners say the cameras are not capturing the best images because its dark and usually broken into from the side, not rear.

So, going forward one of the ideas to discourage in areas where the car may not be as safe is to 1) don't put things in the trunk if it can avoid it; 2) secure stuff it in the frunk; 3) don't put stuff in the trunk or frunk and walk away. Secure the stuff before you get to where you are leaving the car; 4) If nothing is in the trunk, - leave at least one seat folded down so it looks empty and can be seen. It may save getting a broken window.

Yep, its been reported that cops are working the area in and around the break-ins.

Reactions: ABVA
..... 1) don't put things in the trunk if it can avoid it; 2) secure stuff it in the frunk; 3) don't put stuff in the trunk or frunk and walk away. Secure the stuff before you get to where you are leaving the car; 4) If nothing is in the trunk, - leave at least one seat folded down so it looks empty and can be seen. It may save getting a broken window. .....
Just one quick note on this... The frunk is the not necessarily a secure solution. On all Model X and on Model S in the past 3 years, you can access the frunk by simply opening an access panel on the front of the car and pulling a couple release cables. The Model X is the easiest to do this to. The Model S Refresh is the most difficult. The Model S mid-2014 up to the Refresh is also easy, but a little more conspicuous.

That said, I completely agree and constantly preach that people secure their goods before driving into a risky area, so as not to let others see that you have goods that need secured, and where you chose to secure them. Also, if you frequently park in risky areas, then remove the trunk parcel shelf altogether. Then you don't have to worry about putting a rear seat down to show you are hiding nothing in the trunk, as they will be able to see right through the rear window.

A question for those discussing the "double click the fob but don't open a door" thing -- often times I'll double click the fob when I need to access something in the trunk, without interacting with any doors/handles otherwise. Does the vehicle treat the trunk the same as entry by a door? If not, then it seems like my double clicking to get in the trunk could allow someone access by touching the door handle later on.

(And yes, I know I could just push the trunk button on the fob, but sometimes we do silly things just because they happen to work.)

I'll be testing that theory later tonight unless someone knows for sure already.
What @Musterion and I were saying, and reverified, is that the car no longer operates like that. If you double click the top of the fob to unlock the vehicle, it will retract the handles in approximately one minute, and then lock the car in approximately 15 seconds after that.