TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Someone has Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Yucayeque, May 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Yucayeque

Yucayeque New Member

If so tell me! ;)

2. dalamchops

dalamchops Member

have a few in cold storage, had up to a couple hundred at 1 point in 2011

3. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

If you go to the "Investor" section, there is a thread on "Other Tech Investments" (similar such name), and there were a lot of posts regarding Bitcoins 12-18 months ago.

4. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I have a bit. Not selling right now, though.

5. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

I recognize your name from Bitcointalk.org.

Disclaimer: I have no Bitcoins that anybody can prove :)

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

LOL, especially given your handle.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Someone's first post asking about bitcoins. Hmm. Step 1 in bitcoin spear fishing?

8. bestellen

bestellen Member

What is your view on Bitcoin Commodity Exchanges where you can buy/sell (trade) GHS?

9. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

If you're referring to cloud mining operations, other than Cloudhash.io, they all seem to end up being a scam. All of them.

10. polything

polything Member

What is bitcoins? I have some dogecoins

11. bestellen

bestellen Member

My girlfriend expressed interest in buying some bitcoins, and I want to get her some for her birthday, but I've heard its a complicated process. Wondering if anyone could simplify it for me, or explain if its possible to buy them as a gift or if the person whom they are going to must buy them directly. Thanks

12. Matias

Matias Active Member

#12 Matias, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    I'm interested to try mining as a hobby. I just bought very small amount of bitcoins out of curiosity from Coinbase. It was rather easy, I used 3D secure (Verified by Visa) Visa and had to send a copy of my drivers licence.

I'm planning to buy Antminer S5. Of course it is not competitive (would need Antminer S7), but I want to test with cheaper equipment. My electricity is approximately 8 euro cents/kWh. I can use waste heat to warm my house approximately 7 months in a year. For summer I move the equipment outside.

13. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Getting the older miners like that for heating is great. You can heat your home/office while making money. The only thing that might be an issue is the noise. If you had a way to do an air/water heat exchanger and run the heated water throughout the house, that would eliminate the noise issue. They're going to be about the same efficiency as a heating element grid in a "normal" HVAC setup.

I used to have ~170Mh/s worth of Gridseed Blades and then sold them, recently. They put out quite a bit of heat along with their power supplies. The key is to use high efficiency power supplies so all the waste heat comes from the ASICs. If I had to do what you're doing, I would have one large heatsink wall that all the boards were screwed to, then it would just radiate the heat to the room with no fans. Convection currents are a wonderfully efficient way of moving air ;)