Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall panic button, what if it gets pushed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The round red panic system shut down button that you see, if that is pushed in for any reason what is shut down and do you just pull it back out to make everything start running again?

If any of you have this cover over the on off button on the power wall do you just get a screwdriver to pry it open if you need to turn it on because someone has turned it off, I can’t really tell doesn’t seem to move very easily.

Attachments

• IMG_3835.jpeg
    IMG_3835.jpeg
    476.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3834.jpeg
    IMG_3834.jpeg
    487.3 KB · Views: 10
The round red panic system shut down button that you see, if that is pushed in for any reason what is shut down and do you just pull it back out to make everything start running again?

If any of you have this cover over the on off button on the power wall do you just get a screwdriver to pry it open if you need to turn it on because someone has turned it off, I can’t really tell doesn’t seem to move very easily.

It probably opens any relays and shuts down inverters and disconnect batteries. At least that' what it would be expected to do.
It may cut power to some of all of the house.

Reactions: LiBeRtAs
The big red button is a DC disconnect, it will disable solar output. Used by emergency responders or when power-cycling the system. To turn it back on, twist it clockwise a few times and it will pop back out.

I'm not familiar with PW3, but later versions of PW2 had a little plastic cover like that over the switch, and it would just swing up. Tesla docs say that you have to disconnect solar before turning off PW3, so perhaps they went a step further to prevent you from turning it off?

The big red button is a DC disconnect, it will disable solar output. Used by emergency responders or when power-cycling the system. To turn it back on, twist it clockwise a few times and it will pop back out.

I'm not familiar with PW3, but later versions of PW2 had a little plastic cover like that over the switch, and it would just swing up. Tesla docs say that you have to disconnect solar before turning off PW3, so perhaps they went a step further to prevent you from turning it off?
Thanks for info, actually the cover is over the ON part of the switch, was told that is so you cant turn it ON while someone is working on the system and shock them.

I was not told what to do in what sequence with these (panic button and on/off switch) if something went wrong or if the panic button was pushed by accident or vandals etc. I am trying to arrange a phone consult with my project advisor but the system wont let me make an appt. It keeps saying I made one but I didnt, I can tell by no email notification etc. Doubt he would know anyway. Guess I will have to research their support docs to figure it out.

Also now for the first time it is showing 0 kW for the home which is impossible because I have a big refrigerator plugged in and it’s never shown zero for the home since this whole thing started and I look at my app all the time and then it’ll go to 0.1 0.2 but I don’t remember ever seeing it show .0 KW for the home use Since this whole thing started.

Since the only thing on in the house is the refrigerator sure hope it doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with it.

Yeah I know I worry way too much!

Last edited:
Also now for the first time it is showing 0 kW for the home which is impossible because I have a big refrigerator plugged in and it’s never shown zero for the home since this whole thing started and I look at my app all the time and then it’ll go to 0.1 0.2 but I don’t remember ever seeing it show .0 KW for the home use Since this whole thing started.

Since the only thing on in the house is the refrigerator sure hope it doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with it.

Yeah I know I worry way too much!
Refrigerators often pull very low amounts of energy. It's when the compressor comes on that they become hungry.