Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone lit my car cover on fire and my Tesla Model 3 burnt to the ground.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cars are surprisingly flammable. You might think a car cover would just burn right off like one of those cheesy 80's wax commercials but unfortunately there is a lot of exposed plastic on modern cars that's fairly easy to ignite. Certainly the wheel well liners would be ignited by the cloth spanning the wheel well. And flaming droppings around the perimeter could fall under the bumpers to ignite them. Once some fire gets under the hood it's over - the whole thing is full of flammable plastic and is built like a fireplace. It's too toxic and expensive to add flame retardants to all these plastics and it's not really a human safety issue so they just use basic flammable materials like nylon.

Screenshot 2021-09-11 125740.png

Reactions: mlkmade
Update: HAPPY ENDING!!!

Ordered a LR MY on Sept 15th, just took delivery today. I cannot believe it, Tesla really took care of me! Someone pinch me, is this real?

You had a model 3 SR+ i think, and were able to move into a model Y? I am sure it was stressful, but its nice to hear a good outcome for something like this.

You had a model 3 SR+ i think, and were able to move into a model Y? I am sure it was stressful, but its nice to hear a good outcome for something like this.
Yea I had a 2019 MR SR+ - Huge upgrade...it's like I was given a do-over..never imagined this would be the outcome of my unfortunate incident. Thanks for your condolences, the Tesla community has been amazing these past few months.

I am incredibly sad and in disbelief right now..I was leaving for a huge, long planned road trip. There were 3-4 other fires lit in the area, the fire was on the frunk, battery intact. It had been parked and not in use/off for hours.

What can I expect from Tesla insurance?

2019 SR+ 16,000 miles

I just paid for registration renewal, but the tags haven't expired yet? Would I be able to recoup that? (California)

Am I going to get less than I would in the open market?

Been dealing with this for the last 2 hours and its just hitting me...I had the best version of the car before all the bs...pre pedestrian speaker, pre vision only...FML

/defeated.

OMG, why would they do that? I feel so sad. 💔

Yea I had a 2019 MR SR+ - Huge upgrade...it's like I was given a do-over..never imagined this would be the outcome of my unfortunate incident. Thanks for your condolences, the Tesla community has been amazing these past few months.

I might have missed it. Did Tesla give you a Y for free or something like that? I am not sure I understand gratitude to Tesla if you just bought one yourself.

It's ok but the in cabin camera monitoring thing is wayyyy to aggressive If gives a loud nag that is red, rather than the default blue w/ no noise...I disabled data sharing but it didn't help. Do you know if there is anyway to adjust the volume or anything?
Not sure, my car was totaled as well recently (no fire involved though hah). Been curious how the new tesla vision is.

There is a “joe mode” toggle that lowers general noises but may not affect the red warning

Not sure, my car was totaled as well recently (no fire involved though hah). Been curious how the new tesla vision is.

There is a “joe mode” toggle that lowers general noises but may not affect the red warning
I just wanted the option not to opt in to the in cabin camera monitoring like I did when the update cameout for my MR SR+. I guess you don't have that option to opt out with vision only...

Someone suggested covering the camera but I assumed it would disable AP all together. Gonna try and see what happens

I am incredibly sad and in disbelief right now..I was leaving for a huge, long planned road trip. There were 3-4 other fires lit in the area, the fire was on the frunk, battery intact. It had been parked and not in use/off for hours.

What can I expect from Tesla insurance?

2019 SR+ 16,000 miles

I just paid for registration renewal, but the tags haven't expired yet? Would I be able to recoup that? (California)

Am I going to get less than I would in the open market?

Been dealing with this for the last 2 hours and its just hitting me...I had the best version of the car before all the bs...pre pedestrian speaker, pre vision only...FML

/defeated.
My condolences mlkmade this is rough. We all wish you nothing but the best to come from this, and hope that dealing with insurance is a breeze.