Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone unplugged my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It strikes me as someone who owns a shorter range Fiat 500. They have formed an opinion that a long range car should not be taking a charge all night at a level 2 EVSE and getting free charging. They may also have incorrectly assumed that the driver should be charging at home even though that it is not possible in this case.

Not stupid, you just dont read. He said he isn’t able to charge at the condo where he lives.

J1772s are as much for Teslas as any other EV. Most of us have better alternatives, that’s all.

You're right, missed that. So heres the next wildly unpopular opinion:

Why buy a Tesla if you cant secure your own personal method of charging... you know... for personal use?

Why buy a Tesla if you cant secure your own personal method of charging... you know... for personal use?

Why just apply that to a Tesla? Why not apply that to any electric vehicle make or model? My son owns a Bolt and before that a Leaf. He lives in an apartment complex who will not let him charge and there is no charging at work. So.. he has to charge at Evgo. Still way too expensive, in my opinion, to charge with them and way too slow to charge at ChargePoint/Blink level 2 away from home. When he had his Leaf, it had a slow on board charger and being charged by the minute is more expensive the slower your charger is charging. Our State of AZ, only lets utility companies bill by the kilowatt. Anyway, I am glad he is driving electric cars even if more hindered than the rest of us. We need a cleaner planet and he needs to have that EV grin too!

Last edited:
I'm confused as to why the excuse given whenever this comes up is "well Teslas have free supercharger access so they shouldn't be using L2 chargers." Why? Why should I run my battery through a fast charge when I have the time available and access at my destination to charge at a slower rate? Why should I subject my battery to extra stress of supercharging just because other people chose to purchase an EV with limited range? At what battery size do I get the privilege of charging locally? Would a Bolt EV driver give up charging priority to the owner of an older 60 or 40 battery Tesla? I highly doubt it.

Reactions: .jg. and Astraviel

Unpopular? Yep. This line of thinking is exactly why there are idiots unplugging Teslas. The whole notion of expensive Teslas and their owners being able to afford charging at home is absurd. I do have an HPWC at home, BUT, if I chose to forego that and charge everyday at work or at public EVSEs, don’t make ass-umptions on my need/want to charge. Majority of Teslas charge at home so for those that have to use public chargers, it’s usually out of need, not “greed”.

Detached homes with garages in this city cost upwards of $2 million. Townhouses maybe half of that. Condos with charging spots are few and far between. As a young professional I do not have that kind of cash. However, as a supporter of Elon Musk's vision and someone who cares about the environment and abhors how other car companies have dragged their feet with regards to producing non-diesel cars, I had decided to purchase a Model S. Because I can charge at the hospital the charging situation has been fine, but sometimes there are days where I need an emergency charge and being that I pay taxes, and far more than most people, I feel like I have a right to charge at public chargers just as much as any other EV owner.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the people defending the actions of the person that unplugged OP's car.

I don't see anyone defending him as much as just wanting his story -- and criticizing the OP's charging habits -- all of which seems fair game to me.

Please also keep in mind that watching the prosecutor's case usually persuades most people. But after hearing the defence, people's opinions can change. I would like to hear from the man in orange before I form my opinion. Personally, I don't like the OP's charging habits, but that's just me. My daughters have needed a charge often in our Leaf in RIchmond and just a few years ago that wasn't a concern. But not anymore -- there just too many inconsiderate Tesla owners charging everywhere in the Lower Mainland now, where the OP claims there's open stalls -- yet he's not even there to see it. I know -- he has a dashcam -- so he knows no one needed it. But that makes no sense since if someone did, does his dashcam move the car out of the stall? I think under cross-examination his story might fall apart.

It's City Hall, if they want to restrict EV charging they can post (and enforce) "no overnight charging", "two hour parking" etc. etc. etc. If City Hall hasn't posted rules, it's ok to charge as needed. He's also using plugshare, so he's probably reachable if another car really needs to charge.

No excuse to unplug to send a message.

This! Everyone (those driving EVs and those that drive ICE cars) seem to have formed their own opinion on how to deal with chargers and chargespots. Some get truly mad when you say 'I charge at an Supercharger because I can'. And now people here (McRat) is making up his own rules about this particular charger. If everyone can make up their own rules about charging spots the EV world is going to be a cruel place.

Exactly as you say: If there are no restrictions mentioned by eg. a sign or whatever there is absolutely nothing that OP is doing wrong.

My daughters have needed a charge often in our Leaf in RIchmond and just a few years ago that wasn't a concern. But not anymore -- there just too many inconsiderate Tesla owners charging everywhere in the Lower Mainland
Your daughters are being inconsiderate by driving such a short range EV for their needs that they’re tying up the charging stations often.

I don’t really believe that, but it makes as much sense as you saying that you don’t like the OP’s charging habits.

But not anymore -- there just too many inconsiderate Tesla owners charging everywhere in the Lower Mainland now, where the OP claims there's open stalls

How is this relevant? Is your daughters Leaf more entitled to a charge then OPs Tesla? If OP needs the charge to reach his destination the next morning, why should he move away for another car to charge?

If we would compare this to a regular parking spot. If I park somewhere, and it's the last available spot. Should I move my car elsewhere when another car wants to park? No of course not. Why should this be different with public chargers?

I totally agree OP should move his car / free the charger when he is fully charged, but I don't see any reason why he should free the charger for another car when he is still charging.

20180327_200400.jpg

I was planning to do a lot of driving in the morning. I got a notification that my car had been unplugged from the nearby charger. The lot was literally empty and no one else was using any of the chargers except for myself. Someone pulled up to the lot, disconnected my car, then drove off. Infuriating.

Your daughters are being inconsiderate by driving such a short range EV for their needs that they’re tying up the charging stations often.

I don’t really believe that, but it makes as much sense as you saying that you don’t like the OP’s charging habits.
Actually, it’s their dad’s fault!!! :) He’s obviously well-to-do since he owns a Tesla. He should’ve saved a few more pennies and purchased a Model 3 instead of the Leaf so that his daughters would never have to worry about all those (other) inconsiderate Tesla owners littering the lower mainland. Sounds logical right?
Still SMH at responses like this. @Astraviel has no other viable option to charge daily besides at his workplace. When he needs (or WANTS) to charge elsewhere, he can, period. Does he not sound like a responsible charger to the rest of you? Did he lead in with “I charge here every night because I didn’t want to pay for an HPWC? I’d also rather park on the open street vs my condo’s parking structure.”?

As already mentioned subsequently, if this is your stance, why are you limiting it to Teslas? Why not apply that "rule" to any EV?

Also, foillowing that logic, if an ICE vehicle can't gas up at home, should they not buy it if they have several different gas stations thye might be able to use based on circumstance and convenience?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Because free public chargers are not for a single user. A 100D takes up to 20hr to charge at a 208v public 30a charger. So the taxpayers in the area need to build one for every >=60kWh car to allow overnight charging. Just the head unit is $10k US plus install, then they run on electricity as well. This is why we can't have nice things. FREE public chargers aren't planned out for overnight parking or they would just install it at your home. But they could certainly help a traveler in something like a Fiat 500e. It charges in 4 hrs. L2 is a 500e's Supercharger. Take a nap while charging and continue on.

Again, it's not right to unplug someones car, but I'd like to hear the WHOLE story. Those who crave FREE, the coupon cannibals, don't have a lot of boundaries when it comes to consideration of others. I'm still convinced by watching the video there is a lot of the story the OP isn't telling. FREE people aren't trustworthy in my experience. They are always the martyrs in every storyline they tell.

Watch what happens next. OP raises a stink with the city. City ignores it. OP threatens lawsuit (a coupon cutter favorite). City removes charger.

Somebody unplugged the OP's car, while it was charging (which is wrong) bu there must be more to it, because wrong-doers always have a good reason for doing wrong to the people to whom they do wrong.