Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something for Tesla to reconsider?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how many people would consider getting a Tesla if they came equipped with a spare tire? Many people I know stated that is the reason they would not buy one. They fear getting a flat tire at 2:30 AM in an area with poor cell phone coverage. I think if they were equipped with one sales would increase by 25% or more. What do you think?

This is an interesting concept because more and more cars are going away with putting spares in and electing to put a flat-tire/inflator kit instead. For the most part, it does not influence my decision, because like house9 said above, you can just get a ModernSpare kit. Throw it in your garage, or closet, and bring it out for road trips.

Reactions: 1100MCM
I think if they were equipped with one sales would increase by 25% or more. What do you think?
That there is no way that the spare tire, or lack thereof, would impact sales by anywhere close to that amount. If that was a change, (with the reduction in storage that it would bring to your average model 3), my bet is that the change would be net neutral at best (not even measurable difference in sales).

I havent had a car come with a spare tire in quite a long time. Teslas choice likely isnt "spare tire or not" but "run flat tire or not", and I am glad they chose regular tires over run flats.

Reactions: Darblish
Ask a lot of car buyers and they probably don't even think of the spare; they either think "of course it has it, all cars do" or "oh, I didn't even think of that."

There are fairly cheap solutions to fix that issue after the fact with either runflats (if you can find them in the load rating for the car) or a spare tire. Not terribly hard...

I find watching tire pressure more closely on long rural trips is probably good enough. I've had more flats on Tesla than other vehicles, but always with hours or a couple days warning. In my experience the Tesla tire idiot light doesn't come on with even a fast drop to 35psi

I also have the tesla fix a flat kit, and plugs.

I haven't had AAA in awhile. What kind of service do the offer now? How does that compare to the $400 ModernSpare?