Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soon to be owner of new Tesla Model 3 long range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my car will be delivered mid next month. Forget test drive, I have not even seen one from close. I did read a lot about the car online though. I understand that immediate accelerator feedback and regenerative braking will be something to get used to. However, coming from a 2 wheel drive 1.4 L Diesel engine , Tesla could be a big surprise.

Coming to the question, do you think I should opt for a test drive? With this COVID situation and contactless test drive, it may be same as watch videos and learn on the fly experience. Only benefit I see is that they would explain all the options which come with the car since that will be something to learn. Also, should I be worried moving from 2 to 4 wheel drive?

I have been driving cars for about 12 years and motorcycles for 20 (I think). I have had zero accidents except once knocking down an animal that ran on to highway. So, I think I am a decent experienced driver.

I'd not be too worried. Spend a bit of time reading the owners manual (you can download as PDF), especially concerning the controls and basic driving (the shifter takes a few minutes to adjust to). DONT try all the fancy Autopilot stuff until you get used to manual driving (it won't let you anyway for the first few dozen miles). DO plan on a quiet drive for 15 minutes away from traffic and freeways to get the "feel" of the car. DONT floor-it on the first few drives (ok, I know you will, but make sure you are away from traffic etc). I picked my car up with no prior test drive and happily drive it home with no real issues (about 20 mile drive from SC).

Regen will feel a bit "odd" for a few minutes .. you will keep slowing the car down when you expect it to coast (and chuckle a bit) but that will change quickly. Do use "Hold" mode so the car will engage the brake when it stops (and disengage when you press down on the accelerator). You will rapidly come to love one-pedal driving.

And enjoy!! :)

Reactions: Tron 3
In my experience, it takes about one city block to learn to drive the Tesla. When I test drove the model 3 performance the Tesla guy just gave me the key card, watched to make sure I could open the door and start the car, and that I knew how to activate D/drive/etc. Then he walked away and said........have fun. My wife and three sons all adjusted within a block and drove from then on as naturals. That will all setting maxed in my stealth performance model 3. I don't see any need to ease off the settings. In fact, I tried that when test driving and just found it annoying and artificial.

I didn’t do a test drive at all. I did check the Model 3 out in a local Tesla store which gave me the opportunity to sit in it, appreciate the driving position, play with the screen to explore the features and check out the storage space in the car. On that basis, I ordered one (also a Long Range). No test drive though, so the first time I drove a Model 3 was when I picked mine up.

It really wasn’t a problem. It’s so easy to drive and the regenerative braking seemed natural to me within minutes. Enjoy your Model 3. The anticipation of not having driven it before you pick it up is actually quite exciting too.

A lot of responses, thanks. I would like to go in with low expectations so I am not disappointed just in case.
Morning. Yesterday I drove my wife’s Volvo to a service center to have the “Check Engine” light diagnosed. It’s the emissions sensor. It was an awful drive. I kept expecting the car to regen brake, and to hold when I came to a stop. To fix this is 600 for the sensor and 400 for the diagnostic test. But hey they washed the car. 1000 dollar car wash. You’ll never want to drive an ICE car ever again.

I’m surprised at the number of people here who purchased their $50,000+ car without ever riding/driving in one first. I was exactly the same - I had SAT in one once. When I ordered mine I thought that this was a first for me, spending the big bucks with no actual road test. Was it a mistake? Well, 27,000 miles later, driving now is almost as exciting and wonderful as the day I picked mine up. You’ll enjoy every minute.

I’m surprised at the number of people here who purchased their $50,000+ car without ever riding/driving in one first. I was exactly the same - I had SAT in one once. When I ordered mine I thought that this was a first for me, spending the big bucks with no actual road test. Was it a mistake? Well, 27,000 miles later, driving now is almost as exciting and wonderful as the day I picked mine up. You’ll enjoy every minute.

@Petermcg Based on your profile photo, aren't you a bit young to be driving? :)

Boomer here, @65 I have owned a lot of cars, my first one was a '61 Chevy Impala and cost $300. Having never touched a M3 I handed the check for $60k and drove it away.
I was 50% excited about the car and 50% terrified at spending so much. Within 4 blocks of the service center, I maneuvered around a car in front with such tight handling and explosive acceleration the terrified vanished. Like the Will Smith quote "I gotta get me one of these!", I had one in my hands and you would have to pry it away from me. Your first 15 minutes in the car will spoil every other vehicle for you, anything else will feel broken somehow.

For getting used to regen, I had adapted within the first 4 or 5 stops. It will feel natural very quickly. So cool to watch the brake lights all around you turning their kinetic energy into heat wearing the brakes while you feed yours to the battery. ;)

I also own what was my pride and joy, an HP '66 Mustang I had completely rebuilt and restored. I haven't even started that car in the two years since the M3. I never saw that coming. The Tesla is a complete game-changer.

As suggested you may want to test drive to experience the ride, it reminds me of the Mustang that has a Shelby suspension, and some feel it's a bit stiff. I'll just say it's amazing what you can get in performance if you sacrifice a little comfort.
Enjoy your adventure!