Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Source for a painted OEM wing mirror case for M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bashed my driver's side wing mirror against another car coming the other way on a tight road the other day (probably 6 of one, half a dozen of the other).

Smashed the mirror glass and badly cracked the case which also popped off (recovered and taped up).

I've sourced and fitted an OEM replacement glass from ebay but need to either get the plastic case repaired or replaced and then resprayed in the default Tesla pearlescent white.

Quote from my local body shop was 'it'll be expensive' (not very helpful so he's not getting any business) and from the official Tesla body shop in Manchester I've been quoted £246 incl of VAT. No response from the local Revive guy so I'm guessing that's not something he wants to do.

Maybe £250 is the going rate for a painted piece of plastic but it seems expensive - although I realise the paint is a tricky one.

Just wondered if anyone had any other recommendations for a new painted cover?

Or maybe I just have to pony up and be glad it wasn't the whole wing mirror unit which I gather is about £800 to replace!

Wing mirror assembly isn't that much, but it's not far off. Last I checked it was ~£550.

1092292-11-D is the part code for the drivers side mirror skull cap in pearlescent white. They come already painted from the factory.

Probably worth you speaking to Tesla directly, quoting that part code, to see how much it costs (my money is on ~£50).

Attachments

• SCR-20221130-j3l.png
    SCR-20221130-j3l.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: Adopado
Submitted a request through the app and got a quick response and quote for £145 incl. of VAT for the sprayed casing.

Apparently that part doesn't come pre-sprayed (at least here in the UK).

A bit daft really as I'm guessing that it will end up being sprayed by the same bodyshop I got the original quote from anyhow so thanks for the tip to try Tesla direct!

Reactions: Durzel
Bashed my driver's side wing mirror against another car coming the other way on a tight road the other day (probably 6 of one, half a dozen of the other).

Smashed the mirror glass and badly cracked the case which also popped off (recovered and taped up).

I've sourced and fitted an OEM replacement glass from ebay but need to either get the plastic case repaired or replaced and then resprayed in the default Tesla pearlescent white.

Quote from my local body shop was 'it'll be expensive' (not very helpful so he's not getting any business) and from the official Tesla body shop in Manchester I've been quoted £246 incl of VAT. No response from the local Revive guy so I'm guessing that's not something he wants to do.

Maybe £250 is the going rate for a painted piece of plastic but it seems expensive - although I realise the paint is a tricky one.

Just wondered if anyone had any other recommendations for a new painted cover?

Or maybe I just have to pony up and be glad it wasn't the whole wing mirror unit which I gather is about £800 to replace!
Touch wood no mirror damage to the MY.
I had this issue on the X3. I bought a primed case on ebay. The BMW paint shop charged £25! In half a lifetime of BMW cars, this was the best deal ever.
My local private paint shop wanted £100 because, they explained, BMW sell min £60 can of paint.

As you say, the Tesla paint may be tricky but the cars have been around long enough surely for the paint to be readily available. £250 is outrageous and a little bit frightening; I must check if the car can be driven with folded mirrors🤔for those narrow lanes. Of course if you go too close on the near side you risk branch scratches or a ditch.