Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern CA Edison rates make it not worth charging at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another SoCal Edison customer here, both my wife and I work from home (although the wife is expecting to start going back to her office soon). I'm on the tiered program (cheaper to charge mid-day or early morning/late night). I added solar to our roof just before we got the MY in anticipation of the cost increase due to charging. Before the car, I got a credit every month, except dead of "winter" months when my bill was still next to nothing. This summer, even with the solar, the bill is starting to creep up again. So much so that I use mainly free S/C miles to charge the car unless it just doesn't work logistically. I knew my system was a bit under sized (to cover the whole house + charge the car), so at some point I have to add a few more panels to break even. I think in our case, the increased costs center more around A/C use than anything else...that and my kids have yet to figure out how to turn OFF a light switch!
Use Led lights thru out whole house. 4 led lights equal 1 bulb For electrical usage.

Use Led lights thru out whole house. 4 led lights equal 1 bulb For electrical usage.
Yep, I did that as soon as I bought the place. I chimed in to this thread because the car charging did raise my monthly costs (as expected) but honestly, the solar takes care of the majority of it. My highest bill in two years was my July '21 bill, and that was $87 bucks. So in reality, not so bad. I'd still like my kids to turn off the lights though...;)

Reactions: Canyonero
Yep, I did that as soon as I bought the place. I chimed in to this thread because the car charging did raise my monthly costs (as expected) but honestly, the solar takes care of the majority of it. My highest bill in two years was my July '21 bill, and that was $87 bucks. So in reality, not so bad. I'd still like my kids to turn off the lights though...;)
$87!

I just payed a $750 bill for July!

Welcome to Phoenix heat and 3 AC units and a Tesla!

SCE here as well and on the grandfathered TOU-D-B plan:

Weekday Summer Rates​

Off-Peak: 20 cents from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., and 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Super Off-Peak: 13 cents from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
On-Peak: 53 cents from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Weekend Summer Rates​

Off-Peak: 20 cents from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Super Off-Peak: 13 cents from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.

And that's not all:

Daily Basic Charge: $0.71 per day
Minimum Daily Charge: None
Baseline Credit: None

We have 12 solar panels and it's not nearly enough, but not much room for more (roof OR the inverter). We got solar before electric cars were in the picture... We avoid using AC as much as possible from 2-8pm, but guess when we need it most?

$0.13 is our "cheap" rate, but even $0.20 is much cheaper than the public chargers which are typically $0.43 (we don't have a Tesla, yet.... see delivery thread). Yep, I'm talking about Electrify America. Then so many still charge by the minute when the chargers aren't fast, what a rip that is...

My SEC rates have got up substantially over the last few years. Not nearly as cheap as it was before. But based on my plan I only charge 10PM-8AM (any day) and it's still cheaper then SuperCharger. But then I do most of charging lately at SuperChargers since I've been traveling more and I've currently got 20K of free referral charging to use before 2023.

If you own a home in Cali, Solar is the way to go. Change everything to Electric(Stove[unless she says no], Oven, dryer, water heater). Only bill you will have is the loan for the Solar and maybe some gas for the heater. Plus the normal stuff.

I would change to Electric Tankless Water Heater as well.
GAS one's are more reliable but yeah change everything to electric.

Reactions: whisperingshad
I would change to Electric Tankless Water Heater as well.
GAS one's are more reliable but yeah change everything to electric.
Why? Natural Gas here is ridiculously cheaper than electric anything….

the gas stove, gas water heater, and has dryer all together cost 11-14 per month. In the wintertime, the forced gas heater raises it to $20.00.

if anything, i’d install a natural gas powered AC looking at the difference in cost between gas vs. electric.

the gas stove, gas water heater, and has dryer all together cost 11-14 per month. In the wintertime, the forced gas heater raises it to $20.00.

if anything, i’d install a natural gas powered AC looking at the difference in cost between gas vs. electric.

Because the thread was talking about going full solar and switching everything in the house to electric.

Why pay for gas regardless of how cheap if you have solar (and batteries) that can cover the whole house for free.

Reactions: whisperingshad

Yeah, gas is dirt cheap compared to electric. Not really worth it to switch over even with solar (unless I guess you had a huge surplus). Plus in an outage you can still cook even with the electricity out (with solar at least here in CA, it cuts off as soon as power is out, so solar doesn't help you even in the day).

I think the water heater probably is the only one really worth switching over given it's a bigger portion (the demand from the stove/oven is almost nothing vs that, dryer gas demand also is significantly less), but I have tankless so actually it's not that much. Heat can be a big gas demand, but replacing that with an electric system tends to be quite expensive (especially going with heat pump).

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert

yes, agree with that. When it came time to replace my gas water heater and Lowe's was giving me quotes for gas or tankless, the calculations on the much higher cost for a tankless installation would have meant my break-even would be almost 20 years and by that time I might be dead or have to replace it again anyway.

Why pay for gas regardless of how cheap if you have solar (and batteries) that can cover the whole house for free.
Because it really depends on where you live and the cost of both resources. For me, gas is still cheaper than solar. The previous owner put in solar panels and gas appliances are still less expensive for me to operate. I would not have bothered to put in solar. The ROI is much too long ono a solar installation here. It certainly isn't free. I suppose it makes sense for some people, but not for me and my neighbors. It made sense for me to do solar in San Diego, not here.

Every time I see electric rates like OP's, I just cringe. You get taxed enough ony a Tesla in a lot of ways but California just finds all kinds of ways of driving up your cost of living. I didn't realize how bad it has continued to trend since I left. I was thinking it was bad going from about 10 cents kwh to ~12 cents in another state we might move to.

That makes electricity and even worse deal compared to gasoline. Your rates, even with TOU pricing, and the cheapest time, are far more than the difference in gas prices between us. Which is shocking considering how much the state gov't seems to hate gasoline. By comparison at current pricing, your regular unleaded would have to be at about $5.28/gal to have a comparable increase in price when comparing electric and that is at your cheapest TOU price.

Where did all the savings going from outsourcing all those jobs SoCal Edison and PG&E did?

Every time I see electric rates like OP's, I just cringe. You get taxed enough ony a Tesla in a lot of ways but California just finds all kinds of ways of driving up your cost of living. I didn't realize how bad it has continued to trend since I left. I was thinking it was bad going from about 10 cents kwh to ~12 cents in another state we might move to.

That makes electricity and even worse deal compared to gasoline. Your rates, even with TOU pricing, and the cheapest time, are far more than the difference in gas prices between us. Which is shocking considering how much the state gov't seems to hate gasoline. By comparison at current pricing, your regular unleaded would have to be at about $5.28/gal to have a comparable increase in price when comparing electric and that is at your cheapest TOU price.

Where did all the savings going from outsourcing all those jobs SoCal Edison and PG&E did?
Yeah I pay between $.05 and $.03 to charge my cars in SoCal (when it's not free solar generation) but all your rants are def valid and the CA government is just "out to get you and raise your cost of living" and not just using the free market to incentivize cleaner / renewable energy.

Reactions: Canyonero