Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are your home electricity rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Duke Energy Florida: RS-1 is default rate plan; RST-1 is optional TOU plan
1713454323969.png

On RST-1:
On-Peak is M-F 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., plus Dec.-Feb. only, M-F 5:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Super-Off-Peak is Mar.-Nov., every day (including weekends and holidays) 12:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.
All other times are Off-Peak

I downloaded my pre-Tesla usage for the past 2 years (data resolution 15 minutes) and determined that the 2 plans would be roughly equal if I charged 60kWh per month overnight. If I charged 80 kWh per month, TOU rates would save me about $12.50 per year, and an additional $7 for each 10 kWh, so nothing to get too excited about.

Being retired and pretty much a homebody, I don't think it will be worth switching plans. I've only had my MYLR for just over a month, so I'll rerun the analysis after I have a few months data including charging. Even though it doesn't make a difference on the current plan, I'm scheduling charging at 12a.m. to get a good comparison.

Google search for electric rates nationwide map.
I WISH that map were accurate! Montana it nearly double of what the map is showing!

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Fixed fees that you pay for access to power aren't really part of your $per watt to charge your EV.

You would still be paying that fixed charge if you went back to ICE and you wouldn't add it to your fuel costs.

The multiplier for public chargers makes theirs pretty much 3x the price of domestic for me.

Reactions: MitchMitch
Fixed fees that you pay for access to power aren't really part of your $per watt to charge your EV.

You would still be paying that fixed charge if you went back to ICE and you wouldn't add it to your fuel costs.

The multiplier for public chargers makes theirs pretty much 3x the price of domestic for me.
But you need to add taxes to the electric cost. Taxes are shown separately on the bill, and most taxes are calculated as a percentage of your bill. The rate of the various taxes may not be shown on the bill, so some basic arithmetic is needed to estimate the taxation rate.

I am curious what rates everyone is paying on home charging? My current rate is $0.06/kWh. Curious because I have nothing to compare to and getting ready to pick up my first EV.
Are you sure .06 is your total cost for electric including delivery and “riders”.? That seems incredibly low. I’m around .14 to .15 kWh after all the junk charges are added in in Ohio. Can anyone who has duke in Ohio chime in on the off peak rates? I was told that the attached hours are peak vs off peak. I wasn’t too confident in the customer service rep tho, and the bill does a great job of not displaying that info.
IMG_5197.jpeg

Last edited:
But you need to add taxes to the electric cost. Taxes are shown separately on the bill, and most taxes are calculated as a percentage of your bill. The rate of the various taxes may not be shown on the bill, so some basic arithmetic is needed to estimate the taxation rate.
I agree. I take the total portion of the electric bill (the electricity and natural gas bill is itemized separately) and divide by the Kwh hours that I used. And for a state that has no taxes, I never figured out how they can charge taxes to my electricity and gas bill.

Complicated: I live in New Hampshire with Eversource as my utility. I also have SunRun solar panels on my roof.

Supplier charge is $0.12582 per kWh

Delivery Charges:
Customer Charge$0.02130 (Flat $13.81 per month. I divided by my 648 kWh monthly average usage.)
Distribution Charge$0.05357
Regulatory Reconciliation Adj$0.00047
Transmission Charge$0.02965
Pole Plant Adjustment$0.00270
Stranded Cost Recovery Charge$0.00694
System Benefits Charge$0.00905

Add up to about $0.12368 per kWh for a Total of $0.25 per kWh

SunRun is a constant payment per month for a variable amount of solar power generated (157 to 672 kWh per month), but it's still close to $0.25 per kWh.