Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are your home electricity rates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could only dream of rates that low. OP, willing to post your schedule? I wouldn't be surprised if you're excluding other costs like distribution and you may have a base fixed monthly cost.

I'm not on EV2-A but as I posted at PG&E EV2A rate went up by 20% March 1, it's 34.5 cents per kWh off-peak. Rest of day it's 51.3 to 65.7 cents per kWh. See page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2 (Sch).pdf.

Since I don't charge my EVs at home on Pacific Gouge & Extort, I'm on E-TOU-C. See page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-TOU-C.pdf. For the tier 1 (everything within baseline), you get 10.5 cent per kWh credit. Baseline is ~290ish kWh for every 30 day billing period. Anything beyond baseline doesn't get the credit. Rates are 48.7 to 61.8 cents per kWh depending on when. Subtract the 10.5 cents per kWh for the baseline usage.

I am curious what rates everyone is paying on home charging? My current rate is $0.06/kWh. Curious because I have nothing to compare to and getting ready to pick up my first EV.
That's really, really low. Are you sure that includes generation and delivery? Is that a special Time Of Use rate, or EV rate?

Here in San Diego, we can get $0.12 from midnight to 6am on a special EV rate.

Reactions: Skavatar
I could only dream of rates that low. OP, willing to post your schedule? I wouldn't be surprised if you're excluding other costs like distribution and you may have a base fixed monthly cost.

I'm not on EV2-A but as I posted at PG&E EV2A rate went up by 20% March 1, it's 34.5 cents per kWh off-peak. Rest of day it's 51.3 to 65.7 cents per kWh. See page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2 (Sch).pdf.

Since I don't charge my EVs at home on Pacific Gouge & Extort, I'm on E-TOU-C. See page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-TOU-C.pdf. For the tier 1 (everything within baseline), you get 10.5 cent per kWh credit. Baseline is ~290ish kWh for every 30 day billing period. Anything beyond baseline doesn't get the credit. Rates are 48.7 to 61.8 cents per kWh depending on when. Subtract the 10.5 cents per kWh for the baseline usage.
Wasn't sure if my rates were great but sounds like the Midwest has better rates based on the previous replies so far.

Here is my last bill:

Customer Charge $6.69
Meter Charge $4.84
Distribution Delivery Charge Non-Summer 652.00 kWh @$ 0.03889000 $25.36
Electric Deferred Income Tax Adjustment $37.35 @-2.730000% $-1.02
Delivery Service Cost Adjustment $37.35 @ 9.800000% $3.66
TOTAL Electric Delivery $39.53 (sum of above itemized numbers)

Purchased Elec Non-Summer 0-800 kWh 652.00 kWh @$ 0.06249000 $40.74
Purchased Electricity Adjustment 652.00 kWh @$-0.00470705 $-3.07
Supply Cost Adjustment 652.00 kWh @$-0.00046826 $-0.30
Transmission Service Charge 652.00 kWh @$ 0.02349000 $15.31
Electric Supply $52.68 (sum of above itemized numbers)

That's really, really low. Are you sure that includes generation and delivery? Is that a special Time Of Use rate, or EV rate?

Here in San Diego, we can get $0.12 from midnight to 6am on a special EV rate.
It is not a special EV rate. I do not have an EV yet. Supposed to get it next week. I did just sign up for IL EV special rate if charging from 11pm to 7am. Not sure what that discounts it to yet.

It is not a special EV rate. I do not have an EV yet. Supposed to get it next week. I did just sign up for IL EV special rate if charging from 11pm to 7am. Not sure what that discounts it to yet.
Can you point us to your electric schedule? Your utility should post it on their web site somewhere.

Also, just to double check, willing to list how much your total electricity charges were for your most recent billing period (e.g. a month) and how many kWh you used? It's very frequent that folks posting their rates decide to arbitrarily leave out some portion of the charges (e.g. distribution) and leave out fixed monthly charges. Arbitrary and inconsistent omissions make comparisons impossible.

https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2 (Sch).pdf page 2 at the top lists the totals, everything I'd need to pay per kWh. Leaving off other stuff like distribution (see further down) makes no sense. Customers have to pay that.

Last edited:
Can you point us to your electric schedule? Your utility should post it on their web site somewhere.

Also, just to double check, willing to list how much your total electricity charges were for your most recent billing period (e.g. a month) and how many kWh you used? It's very frequent that folks posting their rates decide to arbitrary leave out some portion of the charges (e.g. distribution) and leave out fixed monthly charges. Arbitrary and inconsistent omissions make comparisons impossible.

https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2 (Sch).pdf page 2 at the top lists the totals, everything I'd need to pay per kWh. Leaving off other stuff like distribution (see further down) makes no sense. Customers have to pay that.
I literally just listed that in my reply to you...? Did I not do that right? That was from my recent bill. Minus 11.40 for 'taxes/other charges'.

My current rate is $0.06/kWh

Is this a fully burdened rate of just the rate for electricity? The reason I ask is a lot of companies charge other fees per kWh such as a Power Cost Adjustment fee, recovery fees, etc. As you probably know, to get your true rate you need to look at the total cost of the bill and divide by the consumption for that period.

But to answer your question, my fully burdened rate is $0.11 / kWh.

Reactions: cwerdna
$0.33/kwh. Welcome to the democratic republic of Massachusetts. Will the last taxpayer out please turn out the lights, they are awfully expensive to keep on!

I guess I should be happy its not last winter, at 0.50/kwh

Note that there are a few places in Massachusetts that are not state regulated. One not far from me is $0.08/kwh. I assume they can provide the same service for 1/4th the price because the other 3/4ths of the price is going to a bunch of relatives or other payoffs, or maybe mandated green energy, or some of all of those. Sadly, per state law there are no new independent municipal energy companies allowed.

Reactions: Eric33432
Evaluate your costs carefully. I'm already paying the up front charges with or without an EV, so I only consider the per kwh cost of EV charging.

Our suburban Denver co-op charges .11/kwh but adds a surcharge for usage between 4 & 8pm. It's .20/kwh at our mountain house but that is supplied by the HOA, the utility rate would be .12/kwh if we used our own charger.

I am curious what rates everyone is paying on home charging? My current rate is $0.06/kWh. Curious because I have nothing to compare to and getting ready to pick up my first EV.
.099/ kw hr (9.9 cents) and it takes about $7 and change to fill it up (0-100% SOC, calculated).

Previous car was a 2014 Outback, same miles cost about 70-90 bucks, depending.

But winter takes a hit, effectively pay about $15 for the same distance.

That's what gets me about people who complain about EVs and winter range. OK, double the cost? Woopie, it's still dirt cheap. (around here, Inland PNW , land of cheap hydro electric)

Road trips are more, pay 20-40 cents a kWh, but still half the cost of the old Outback to drive long distances.

And I saved about $2500 in maintenance so far for the first 35k miles. Wiper blades and washer fluid. Literally, that's it. No maintenance cost at all.

My rate varies from month to month due to fuel cost recovery variation as well as a half dozen other items that come and go. So it’s been $.09-$.12 for the past year or so. I prefer to exclude the fixed customer charge when thinking about EV charging and just consider charges that are per kWh.

Reactions: SageBrush