Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern Summer Sunshade for the center glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the center glass roof a lot; and, I think Tesla did a great job with the UV and heat rejection. My commute is mostly from garage to garage so I have not felt any significant heat from that roof. But my wife doesn't like it at all. She is one of those that is not satisfied until she gets 100% sun protection. So today I created this:

20180726_120527.jpg

What do you guys think? Too much suede?

I like the center glass roof a lot; and, I think Tesla did a great job with the UV and heat rejection. My commute is mostly from garage to garage so I have not felt any significant heat from that roof. But my wife doesn't like it at all. She is one of those that is not satisfied until she gets 100% sun protection. So today I created this:

View attachment 320500

Are these in production yet?

• Funny
Reactions: chojn1
I wasn’t trying to be funny chojn1
I ordered the Tesla one over 2 weeks ago and it has not shipped nor been notified of it being on back order

Hi @Point 3,
I posted this as a one of a kind DIY project meant for my car only. I didn't think anyone was interested in buying it.
Anyway, the kids already have their hands full with the current items for now.

alacantra? (sorry, couldn't resist.)

@Big Dog,
Funny, with all the complaints against the new mesh fabric, I thought there would be more comments on the "Alacantra Suede." (I am stealing that).

CJ

Interesting. I also like the glass, but in the interest of happy-wife-happy-life...
What does it look like when not installed? How does it stay up there?

I made some 3d printed clips designed to keep it in place, but they are not needed. It is now up there by friction fit only. There is a fabric tab which makes installation and removal a 30 sec process.

View attachment 320500

I like it chojn1. I was thinking along similar lines. Also it may be good idea to have some heat rejection/reflector facing outside so that less heat make it into cabin. Foamcore is not bad idea either as it provides some insulation value.