Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Space movies (possible spoilers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This review is of the belief that Raised by Wolves goes seriously off the rails by the final episode.

Review: Raised by Wolves squanders early promise with clumsy, bizarre finale

Yep. Definitely a let down. Is was even worse than the review. The cringy side plot of the android "Father" being jealous at Mother was just ... cringy. Most of the android interaction was like that, but the last episode just turned it up to 11.

We still don't know who is running the show (someone/something is telepathically controlling various characters at key moments). Which is very frustrating as a good show would tie up most loose ends every season.

And as I pointed out before, characters doing things without proper character development to show that it made sense for them to make those choices, was just bad screenwriting.

Finally, what is this series? It seems to have turned into a bit of a horror genre. Sci-fi horror. Kinda like Aliens. Oh wait, Ridley Scott is involved, isn't he? What a surprise :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
For a nice to watch series, kinda sweet, kinda funny, kinda makes you think: Beforeigners. Available on HBO streaming. Norwegian with subtitles. The premise: Random people from three time eras suddenly start showing up in modern day Oslo. People from the victorian era, the viking era and the caveman era. The plot follows a modern day policeman and his new partner, a viking era beforeigner woman. It's an obvious metaphor for immigration, but it is handled very well. Probably because it is Norwegian, it doesn't fall into the left/right tropes that you would see in a American production.

Reactions: Grendal
So after being jazzed up with Crew-2 making it to space, I turned this movie on. It was a bit slow, but enjoyed it. As you can tell from the trailer, it has a more realistic space challenge storyline. The whole idea plays on your emotions...if you watch it, let me know what you would have done.

I agree. It’s also unique in that Kubrick directed it. I think he’s the only director that could have pulled that movie off.

Speaking of offbeat sci-fi, anyone see THX 1138? Before he got famous by directing American Graffiti (and really famous from Star Wars), he wrote and directed this small sci-fi film that has a Brave New World vibe in it.
@Cosmacelf
yes, and what was the license plate of Harrison Ford’s car in American Grafitti?
THX 138
(there are nods and easter eggs in all the movies)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: EVCollies
I also read pretty much everything from Clarke and Asimov. They write consistently great SciFi. There are some other great SciFi books, but I could not find other authors with such consistent quality.
@ZsoZso
to name a few
William M Gibson (where cyberpunk more or less started)
Iain M Banks. his ~10 books of Culture series. start with “consider phlebas”
Wil McCarthy “queendom of Sol” series
started reading SF around 1962
most anything by Philip K Dick
john Varley
veror Vinge “a fire upon the deep” the sequel isn’t quite so good
Kathleen Goonan’s nanotechnology stuff, “queen city jazz” (an old college roomie in a group house)