Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX vs. Everyone - ULA, NG, Boeing, Lockheed, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thing that had me confused in the article was that it said that the latest F9 could lift the payload to geosync orbit. The extra payload capacity of the FH wasn’t actually needed. Then again, it is a secret military launch, so the published numbers could be all wrong :) (Bidders meeting: Btw, double payload mass...).

The thing that had me confused in the article was that it said that the latest F9 could lift the payload to geosync orbit. The extra payload capacity of the FH wasn’t actually needed. Then again, it is a secret military launch, so the published numbers could be all wrong :) (Bidders meeting: Btw, double payload mass...).

This might be key :
The final request for proposals released by the Air Force last year did not include the mass specification and orbit information.

Reactions: Grendal
In today's press conference after the Insight [spoiler!] landing, NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine was present. He was asked about returning to Mars past the 2020 lander mission, and when humans will go to Mars. His answer recapped all of the current policy's goals with the moon as a stepping stone to Mars and so on.
But the most striking part of his answer is that he must have said “reusability” 10 times in the first minute.

So, how is the establishment's re-use game?
Oh, right...

[Edit: typo in admin's name]

Last edited:
But the most striking part of his answer is that he must have said “reusability” 10 times in the first minute.
And he’s not the only NASA admin who is using that word a lot these days. I think Bridenstine is being quite transparent lately about his heavy launch vehicle preferences.

Interesting interview at ULA chief Tory Bruno on competing with Blue Origin, SpaceX rocket landings

Quote from Tony Bruno in response to a question asking him his reaction to seeing SpaceX achieve booster reusability: “You know that we have a different approach to reusability, driven entirely by our assessment of the economics and the lack of our need to have a vertical landing and take-off model for Mars. That’s not something that’s in our equation. They have a different problem than the one we’re trying to solve. I remain confident in our model, and that’s why we’re sticking to our approach.”

But what is the ULA “approach to reusability”? Is it “We don’t re-use rockets”? And that is based on their “assessment of the economics”?

Interesting interview at ULA chief Tory Bruno on competing with Blue Origin, SpaceX rocket landings

Quote from Tony Bruno in response to a question asking him his reaction to seeing SpaceX achieve booster reusability: “You know that we have a different approach to reusability, driven entirely by our assessment of the economics and the lack of our need to have a vertical landing and take-off model for Mars. That’s not something that’s in our equation. They have a different problem than the one we’re trying to solve. I remain confident in our model, and that’s why we’re sticking to our approach.”

But what is the ULA “approach to reusability”? Is it “We don’t re-use rockets”? And that is based on their “assessment of the economics”?

Currently, it is "we don't bother" since we make money (since the government will pay whatever we ask) the way we do it. The tentative future plan is to drop the engines and capture them with a helicopter. 2025-ish or something like that.