Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spaceship like controls in Roadster meant for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I prefer the normal steering wheel. The Roadster's controls would have looked really out of place in a family sedan.

The Model 3 has turned out to be one heck of a feature packed car folks why are we still yearning for more?

An airbag-free, and also side mirror-free (and also wiper-free?), car would prove difficult to be legal... Law has to be changed. Besides, I don't know what's the logical thinking behind trying to get rid of an essential feature in a 250+ mph top speed car with 1,4+ g of peak acceleration. Maybe a bet on a 10x safer AP software in 2020?

Also when cornering (especially, again, at high speeds) it doesn't feel quite right to have only two tiny handles to control the car... (a video shows Franz von Holzhausen taking a turn and indeed it doesn't look practical) Was that kind of steering 'wheel' already used in production car?

I suspect the decision to exclude the "spaceship" controls from Model 3 could be a combination of the "anti-sell" strategy as well as an attempt to appeal to the widest audience possible. Leaving things like futuristic steering wheels and HUDs for more expensive models may mean higher margins on the model 3, but it also is yet another differentiator between an entry level Tesla and their high end offerings.

Also when cornering (especially, again, at high speeds) it doesn't feel quite right to have only two tiny handles to control the car... (a video shows Franz von Holzhausen taking a turn and indeed it doesn't look practical) Was that kind of steering 'wheel' already used in production car?

Its good enough for F1 drivers who hit 4G lateral acceleration, it'll be fine for a road car that might hit 1.2G if you fit sticky rubber.

Reactions: SageBrush

Its good enough for F1 drivers who hit 4G lateral acceleration, it'll be fine for a road car that might hit 1.2G if you fit sticky rubber.

You don't usually make u-turns with this kind of steering wheel. Still not sure if it is appropriate in a daily car. Also Roadster's handles are way smaller to grasp.