Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - 10th Reuse - Iridium Next 41-50 - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Matt Desch on Twitter:
We are having an issue with 1 of the 10 satellites in prep for Iridium5. Our supplier and launch team is resetting for NET 3/31, with potential to shift into next week, if not resolved quickly. Launch success is priority #1! Will provide more info as available.
The SpaceXNow app shows the launch as “30 Mar”. But Matt Desch is obviously someone who would be in the know. :)

Maybe I will be able to rearrange my schedule to go see the launch on Saturday the 31st, but if it’s actually Friday the 30th I can’t make it.

Reactions: Grendal
The SpaceXNow app shows the launch as “30 Mar”. But Matt Desch is obviously someone who would be in the know. :)

Maybe I will be able to rearrange my schedule to go see the launch on Saturday the 31st, but if it’s actually Friday the 30th I can’t make it.

Well sorry again. It is the 30th.

Matt Desch update: Positive update to our satellite and launch delay. Just been apprised there has been a technical resolution; satellites and F9 are in great shape and ready to go! Was ground harness test cable issue - now fixed. Launch now pulled back to Friday, 3/30 at 7:14am pdt

I will update the first post with the current information.

Edit: Matt Desch is pretty wordy on Twitter. If you go into his posts he usually banters with other posters for a while. He has a great sense of humor.

Good article about Iridium and using SpaceX. At the end of the article, it is mentioned that there will be an attempt at a fairing recovery for this launch.
Iridium boss senses shift in SpaceX rhythm with another launch set for Friday – Spaceflight Now
The level of difficulty involved with a fairing catch still seems daunting. Elon said after February's PAZ satellite launch that the fairing missed by only a few hundred meters. The Spaceflight Now article describes that attempt as a "near-miss". Seems generous. Elon thinks SpaceX will solve the remaining problems within six months, likely gaining knowledge with each attempt. Hope SpaceX eventually gives us a live shot of a fairing recovery attempt aboard Mr. Steven. (Like, today would be okay!)

Everything so far looked nominal all the way orbit. We'll hear about deployment success on Twitter from SpaceX. I expect it will be smooth sailing for the rest.

Elon seem to be doing a play by play on the attempted fairing recovery.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Attempting recovery of fairing falling down from space (right now) with our boat, Mr Steven. It’s a giant steel & webbing catcher’s mitt superstructure on a high-speed ocean ship. Godspeed, Mr. S …

• Informative
Reactions: mongo
Optics. It would look too much like a crash. There'd be lots of experts on You Tube using the images to prove that SpaceX is a fraud. Of course nobody with the sense that god gave geese would believe it. But that leaves an awful lot of people who would.
Robin

Last edited:
10/10 Iridium, and no wonder Mr. Steven didn't catch the fairing; it was near my mom's beach house...
DZfyBbsVQAA5vD7.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW