Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - 5th Reuse - Iridium Next 31-40 - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah... I misinterpreted your comments to mean fins on the second stage for a recovery experiment there. Thanks.

That is what I was thinking was going on. Once I learned that the grids were not smaller then I had to reevaluate my reasoning. I still think SpaceX is doing something. What that something is, is still unknown. Hopefully we learn something on the webcast.

• Love
Reactions: scaesare and mongo
Thanks for posting that photo. Very interesting. Why is the interstage a dark color? I thought it was always white like the rest of the rocket. I think SpaceX is trying something new with the 2nd stage. We know that there will be no 1st stage recovery attempt. So those grid fins are there for another purpose. If they weren’t going to use them, they would have been removed, in my opinion, just like the 1st stage legs were removed because they aren’t going to be needed for this mission.
It looks like SpaceX will be doing an experiment on second stage recovery. That is probably why they aren't trying to recover the booster this time. Here is a picture of the rocket at Vandenberg on the pad. You can see the little mini grid fins.
View attachment 268116

From reddit, apparently this first stage had titanium grid fins during its last flight, so they purposely changed to aluminum...
So much for that idea...

Good point. There is lots of evidence that SpaceX is trying to do something. What that something is may or may not be explained to us.

Here is the webcast on this page of comments so people can find it easier:

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Definitely doing some sort of testing. What it is seems to be a secret. Some sort of experiment where they did a water landing as if the ASDS was there.

Could be using the standard controlled descent to the water, possibly at/ outside the normal control limits. Testing an engine failure during landing?

It would be more environmentally friendly to land at zero velocity after using all available fuel. Take the engines below the normal minimum thrust to hover followed by turbopump fuel starvation test?

Reactions: jkn and Grendal
Could be using the standard controlled descent to the water, possibly at/ outside the normal control limits. Testing an engine failure during landing?

It would be more environmentally friendly to land at zero velocity after using all available fuel. Take the engines below the normal minimum thrust to hover followed by turbopump fuel starvation test?

Exactly. Something like this has happened. Those are some good ideas. You could hear the 1st stage maneuvering commentary in the background of the launch webcast. We could see the boostback burn happen at stage separation.

Nice launch. Enjoyed the liftoff and wish I could have seen it in person. CameronB did you make it down there? Look forward to the photos being posted from people down there. Always nice to see those golden satellites float away. Very successful year for SpaceX.