Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - 6th Reuse - SES 16/GovSat - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but if the core will not be recovered, why would SpaceX leave the legs and grid fins on? Because they are a Block 3 design, already used once, and not worth keeping?

Data points?
Helps with safety of the controlled marine disposal?
Leaves open recovery in case of scrubs?

Or maybe it's just because they have a bunch of old fins and legs and want to avoid paying the regular disposal fees. The ultimate in fly-tipping.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but if the core will not be recovered, why would SpaceX leave the legs and grid fins on? Because they are a Block 3 design, already used once, and not worth keeping?

I think they run the normal re-entry protocol, just doesn't have a ship to land on. May burn off all fuel at the end also. Can use for dynamics/ limit testing also. Lots of data can be gathered when you aren't impacted by final result.

Reactions: Off Shore

The speculation from Chris G was that it would take too much work to remove them. They were there. They changed their mind as the FH launch developed and simply prioritized the FH over the F9 recovery. It was too late to pull those pieces off the rocket. So they remain there even though there will be no recovery that anyone seems to be aware of. I'm sure being Block 3 made the decision easier.

I think they run the normal re-entry protocol, just doesn't have a ship to land on. May burn off all fuel at the end also. Can use for dynamics/ limit testing also. Lots of data can be gathered when you aren't impacted by final result.
Thanks, I think you are right, I’ve found some other informed commentary online to that effect.

I wonder if SpaceX will show the camera feed from the 1st stage all the way back to the water “landing”. That would be cool!

Reactions: Grendal
So far, everything has gone nominally. You could hear in the background that SpaceX had the booster do all the burns needed for a recovery. However, there was no ASDS to land on. So the booster completed a successful water landing. Which means the booster is destroyed when it topples over and waves break the booster apart.

100% success. Payload deployed as expected. If something goes wrong at this point it is on SES and GovSat1.

Next up is the Falcon Heavy launch on the 6th. The weather is looking good for that launch as well.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
Holy crap! The booster survived the water landing:

Elon Musk on Twitter

This rocket was meant to test very high retrothrust landing in water so it didn’t hurt the droneship, but amazingly it has survived. We will try to tow it back to shore.

DU6DAbgUMAAWbNZ.jpg