Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Comm Crew DM-2 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Monday's Launch Readiness Review was a success. DM-2 got the official "go".

Tomorrow's weather forecast indicates conditions could be improving. By the afternoon there's a diminishing chance of rain and thunderstorms. Launch odds have flipped from a 60% rules violation to 60% acceptable.

I think by early Wednesday we'll hear what the crew has chosen to christen their capsule. Sticking with the dragon theme, I prefer something bold and found "Pendragon". Wiki explains, "Chief-Dragon" or "Head-Dragon", but in a figurative sense, "chief of warriors". Although I suppose the actual name is likely be a little less menacing.

How about "Release Candidate 1"?

Hmm...a 46 minute video. If anyone sat through the whole thing, did they say anything new or of interest?
Jim Bridenstine had a few interesting comments. I remember NASA management originally saying the maximum duration for DM-2 was 119 days. Today Bridenstine stated the maximum limitation on Dragon's solar arrays was 114 days. He also said that he's the guy responsible for overseeing NASA's "style guide" and that the "worm" was his decision. A generational icon for him and quite possibly it'll only be used for this mission.
I think the biggest takeaway could be an update for the thread SpaceX F9 - Crew Dragon USCV-1 - LC-39A. Bridenstine mentioned a target launch date of August 30th 2020, a Sunday.

Jim Bridenstine had a few interesting comments. I remember NASA management originally saying the maximum duration for DM-2 was 119 days. Today Bridenstine stated the maximum limitation on Dragon's solar arrays was 114 days. He also said that he's the guy responsible for overseeing NASA's "style guide" and that the "worm" was his decision. A generational icon for him and quite possibly it'll only be used for this mission.
I think the biggest takeaway could be an update for the thread SpaceX F9 - Crew Dragon USCV-1 - LC-39A. Bridenstine mentioned a target launch date of August 30th 2020, a Sunday.
IIRC, Crew-1 cannot launch any sooner than 30 days after Demo-2 returns because they need a min 30 days to analyze Demo-2's hardware. If they are targeting August 30 for Crew-1, Demo-2 will return sometime in July and won't last anywhere near the max 119 days.

This is the another big one for the Crew program: a crewed flight!

Launch Date: May 27th
Launch Window: 4:33pm EDT (1:33pm PDT, 20:33 UTC).
Launch site: LC-39A, Cape Canaveral, Florida
Booster Recovery: ASDS
Booster Type: B1058.1
Mass: Crew Dragon 12,055 kg
Orbit: LEO - ISS (Docking time 11:30 AM EDT)
Crew: Commander Douglas Hurley and Pilot Bob Behnken
Backup Crew: Michael Hopkins and Victor Glover
Dragon Return - TBD

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch a Crew Dragon spacecraft on its first test flight with astronauts on-board to the International Space Station under the auspices of NASA’s commercial crew program. NASA astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken will fly on the Demo-2 mission. The Crew Dragon will return to a splashdown at sea.

Crew Dragon
Hmmmm, why does this remind me of the James Bond movie.....Moonraker? Where is "Jaws?" :D

Reactions: alsetym
A different takeaway: I want more of Nicole Mann! Her intro was fantastic, she has a career in the public eye after she stops flying!

SpaceX just released some beautiful mission photos on Flickr Crew Demo-2 Mission

E9A36BEE-A9FB-4AEB-AF3B-A2EB5C53CB94.jpeg
7A5EB387-0AF7-4CB8-87AE-454714CBB3AB.jpeg