Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - TESS - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10 minute video showing the B1045 booster in port. It's in fantastic shape. Octograbber and fairing shown.
Thanks, interesting! I also noticed that a few times when the fairing was shown, on the far left side of the video there was something wrapped in white sheeting that is shaped roughly like a Dragon capsule. Could it be? Here are two screen shots:

2C0DA53E-F62F-408C-960D-FC8BB416FEC8.png

9607EA8B-7173-4E4A-9CF7-CE3ED5BED51B.png

Reactions: e-FTW
I see the fairing on the deck, but does anyone know for sure that the Octograbber technique actually worked? It seems odd that there's been no confirmation from Elon
SpaceX knows for sure. And that video appears to show it in position and attached to the stage.

Elon does not immediately tweet about everything that we enthusiasts want to know. He’s pretty busy. :cool:

ecarfan - That is the Dragon testing capsule they drop from helicopters. In the water they test recovering astronauts etc...

Peter Thomas - I seriously doubt it. While the size of OCISLY is wide enough to fit a landed BFR booster, barely, the weight of that booster has to be too much for it to handle. SpaceX will need something much larger. Besides, SpaceX has no intention of moving these boosters around. They will land back on their launching cradle and be refueled there for more launches.

Nikxice - Pictures show the octograbber/roomba was used successfully. The fairing was recovered from a water landing most likely. Mr Steven is on the West Coast with no plans I've heard of that it will be moved to the East Coast. If the Mr. Steven plan ends up working then SpaceX will probably modify one of the East Coast ships to do the same thing.

• Informative
Reactions: skitown
Can the BFR boosters be landed on OCISLY?
The F9 diameter is 3.7m, plus landing legs sticking out beyond that figure. The BFR is 9m plus legs. While the ASDS are something like 30m along the short axis and likely a BFR could land on them, that isn’t the plan based on what Elon has shown to date. The launch/landing platforms shown in the 2017 IAC presentation appear to be much larger.

I wonder if they’ve ever launched a satellite big enough to fill it?

That depends on how you define "fill". All of the big GEOcomms are built to physically "fill" the standard[ish] 5m fairing form factor. Of course its the square peg in the round hole problem, but there's typically barely inches of clearance at the tight points, and sometimes even waivers for intrusions into the dynamic stay-out zone. Of course, the really big ones also "fill" the mass capacity as well.

For all of the constellations, its basically a version of stacking rings with radially mounted spacecraft. Iridium and Globastar probably are the most prevalent public domain images if you search Google (like what @Grendal posted); the new, bigger constellations are really just comical scaling of those concepts.

Here's a conceptual A6 with oneweb:
hpyfysn2g2601.png

And in the same vein, here's a mid-sequenced image of the upcoming Spaceflight mission:
spaceflight-1.jpg