Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - TESS - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Boring no way! ;) That's the other Elon venture.

Fairing deployed (falling away on the right photo):
IMG_2518.PNG

And Of Course I Still Love You always exciting:
IMG_2530.PNG

IMG_2532.PNG

Deployment of TESS
IMG_2542.PNG

IMG_2545.PNG

Can't wait to see what TESS reveals to us down the road.

Last edited:
We'll all take booring, because a boring SpaceX is a safe SpaceX. Prior to yesterday's launch I read about the TESS mission on Spaceflight Now. One sentence struck me as a bit off, SpaceX would be attempting to land the Falcon 9 booster on OCISLY. Maybe it's hangover from the FH core miss, but 'attempting' seems out of step with F9 landings in 2018. I'm pretty sure SpaceX dropped the term 'experimental' when referencing F9 booster landings about two years ago. Refining might be a better description. It'll probably take a few more years for a cultural shift to evolve that accepts rockets that the average Joe would be willing to fly. I think SpaceX is working to effect this change with proven hardware and given time the aviation media will follow. Otherwise, in the future I wonder who might be interested in purchasing those BFR/BFS tickets for flights that only make landing attempts?

Reactions: Grendal
We'll all take booring, because a boring SpaceX is a safe SpaceX. Prior to yesterday's launch I read about the TESS mission on Spaceflight Now. One sentence struck me as a bit off, SpaceX would be attempting to land the Falcon 9 booster on OCISLY. Maybe it's hangover from the FH core miss, but 'attempting' seems out of step with F9 landings in 2018. I'm pretty sure SpaceX dropped the term 'experimental' when referencing F9 booster landings about two years ago. Refining might be a better description. It'll probably take a few more years for a cultural shift to evolve that accepts rockets that the average Joe would be willing to fly. I think SpaceX is working to effect this change with proven hardware and given time the aviation media will follow. Otherwise, in the future I wonder who might be interested in purchasing those BFR/BFS tickets for flights that only make landing attempts?

Yes, but a BFR landing would be on a fixed permanent structure. Drone ship landings are 300 km out in the ocean on a relatively small, moveable, pitching and yawing barge. Yesterday’s landing was in incredibly smooth waters, but that’s not the norm. 6+ foot waves are more common making such endeavors, “attempts”.

Yes, but a BFR landing would be on a fixed permanent structure. Drone ship landings are 300 km out in the ocean on a relatively small, moveable, pitching and yawing barge. Yesterday’s landing was in incredibly smooth waters, but that’s not the norm. 6+ foot waves are more common making such endeavors, “attempts”.

Your point is well taken, but here's a quote from Spaceflight Now on 1/7/18, the day prior to the Zuma mission launch. "Falcon 9 is 9-for-9 on landing attempts at Cape Canaveral". Spaceflight Now is still referencing all F9 booster landings as "attempts", even though SpaceX has never experienced a failure when landing a booster on hardpack. I suppose a question to ask might be, when does the speculative nature of the word "attempts" get removed or at least modified in the reporting?

Your point is well taken, but here's a quote from Spaceflight Now on 1/7/18, the day prior to the Zuma mission launch. "Falcon 9 is 9-for-9 on landing attempts at Cape Canaveral". Spaceflight Now is still referencing all F9 booster landings as "attempts", even though SpaceX has never experienced a failure when landing a booster on hardpack. I suppose a question to ask might be, when does the speculative nature of the word "attempts" get removed or at least modified in the reporting?

Wild speculation: there is no mission requirement for the landing to happen, so they can abort to the ocean for any reason. Once there is a BFS with people, then it could still be an attempt if the ship can abort, gain altitude, and then retry. Otherwise, there will be a landing. Even then, they could still keep the 'attempt' wording due to the concept that you don't know if it will be a landing until after it occurs, as it could turn into a crash.

Interestingly, the Shuttle had landing attempts also, but the landing extended all the way to de-orbit so that is less relevant...
NASA Skips First Space Shuttle Landing Attempt Today

Interestingly, the Shuttle had landing attempts also, but the landing extended all the way to de-orbit so that is less relevant...
NASA Skips First Space Shuttle Landing Attempt Today
Yes, the entire approach should also be reflected. Considering the fate of Columbia in 2003, once de-orbiting is commenced, continuing through the landing phase, this process would likely never have qualified STS landing descriptions as anything other than attempts.

Agreed, and I believe in the SpaceX webcast for this mission Laura Lyons used the word “attempt” when referring to the stage landing on OCISLY.

Too bad that the OCISLY onboard video cam feed failed a moment before touchdown. But at least we saw the view from the stage as it kissed the deck, in the bullseye!

24 successful stage landings. They still blow me away when I watch one happen.

Reactions: croman
10 minute video showing the B1045 booster in port. It's in fantastic shape. Octograbber and fairing shown.
I see the fairing on the deck, but does anyone know for sure that the Octograbber technique actually worked? It seems odd that there's been no confirmation from Elon. A few weeks ago he posted a running commentary of the attempted capture event on Twitter during the Iridium-5 mission.

I see the fairing on the deck, but does anyone know for sure that the Octograbber technique actually worked? It seems odd that there's been no confirmation from Elon. A few weeks ago he posted a running commentary of the attempted capture event on Twitter during the Iridium-5 mission.
I believe the octograbber=Roomba... The booster securing robot aboard the ASDS's.

Are you thinking of Mr. Steven, the giant claw/net boat trying to catch fairings?