Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 Block 4 - Iridium Next 21-30 - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like Stage 2 blows Stage 1 back after separation for a little bit. What kind of effect, benefit does this have?

I loved the nighttime video: it allowed us to see all sorts of interesting chemicals, gases, flames and engine output.

For the first time, SpaceX has turned off rewinding the YouTube feed. I wonder why they continue to lock down public capability into viewing; afraid of information being spread?

I had to rewatch on Everyday Astronaut's feed in order to re-examine what I saw the first time. It looked like first stage burn was visually interrupted by clouds before maxq.

Reactions: Grendal
It looks like Stage 2 blows Stage 1 back after separation for a little bit. What kind of effect, benefit does this have?

I loved the nighttime video: it allowed us to see all sorts of interesting chemicals, gases, flames and engine output.

For the first time, SpaceX has turned off rewinding the YouTube feed. I wonder why they continue to lock down public capability into viewing; afraid of information being spread?

I had to rewatch on Everyday Astronaut's feed in order to re-examine what I saw the first time. It looked like first stage burn was visually interrupted by clouds before maxq.

It's a matter of timing. Stage 2 needs to fire the engine as quick as possible. That is the primary mission so it has priority over recovery of the first stage. Which then means that it is up to the fist stage to move away as quick as possible and any damage incurred happens. As far as we know, while it looks pretty bad, the damage is minimal since it hasn't prevented recovery.

I agree. The visuals in the dark are fascinating.

I think that is just during the live feed. After the end of the live stream, I'm sure you'll be able to go back over the video.

I was watching EA too. His commentary adds to the stream since we're now on the 3rd Iridium and even though I really like Jon Insprucker. Most of the SpaceX stream is a repeat of what we've already seen.

So this is the 17th successful recovery. This is the third Block 4 booster recovered.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulmo and Nikxice
So this is the 17th successful recovery.

What also must be quite significant to SpaceX is nailing the last thirteen in a row. Balanced too, 6 ground pad and 7 drone ship, a couple of which were very challenging. Perfecting the technology for future FH and BFR recovery.

Just watched the beautiful shot of the release of the ninth Iridium satellite. Nice note and commentary by Jon Insprucker, pointing out the "string of beads" of the other satellites also framed against the black background.

• Love
Reactions: Grendal
What also must be quite significant to SpaceX is nailing the last thirteen in a row. Balanced too, 6 ground pad and 7 drone ship, a couple of which were very challenging. Perfecting the technology for future FH and BFR recovery.

Just watched the beautiful shot of the release of the ninth Iridium satellite. Nice note and commentary by Jon Insprucker, pointing out the "string of beads" of the other satellites also framed against the black background.

Jon Insprucker is fantastic. As I get older you have to appreciate seeing someone older getting airtime instead of the younger kids.

The string of beads shot is incredible. Spacex keeps coming through with incredible moments and visuals for all of us fans.

Reactions: Ulmo
Jon Insprucker is fantastic. As I get older you have to appreciate seeing someone older getting airtime instead of the younger kids.

The string of beads shot is incredible. Spacex keeps coming through with incredible moments and visuals for all of us fans.
Iridium string.jpeg

I think that is just during the live feed. After the end of the live stream, I'm sure you'll be able to go back over the video.
I saved a copy and just rewatched all the different flame types. I enjoyed that very much.

The green lighter fluid is used on both stages. They had color camera on the first stage, and black and white camera on the second stage camera at the split screen time when second stage first lit. You could only see the green color of the second stage lighter fluid in the first stage camera.

I also watched the landing with 100% observance of the speed of the craft the whole time from separation to landing; if I missed anything, I backed up and re-watched, until I had seen the whole thing. It looks much more graceful when you see the full extent of its landing flight from separation to landing. When you only see snippets or miss anything, it can look a bit more violent.

I sampled some string of pearl screenshots.

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 11.23.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 11.24.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 11.25.13 PM.png

Great photo. It's got the blue hues of the Pacific contrasting with objects on the drone ship. Also, sense that motion from the wake left by JRTI. I just set it as a new background. Initially wanted to just read the instructions right side up, but after rotating the image I found that perspective a bit odd. Better viewed just as is.