Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT - Formosat 5 - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: August 24
Launch time: 1850 GMT (2:50 p.m. EDT; 11:50 a.m. PDT)
Launch site: SLC-4E, Vandenberg Air Force Base, California
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Formosat 5 Earth observation satellite for Taiwan’s National Space Organization (NSPO). The Falcon 9 rocket’s first stage will return to landing on a platform downrange in the Pacific Ocean. Delayed from July. [July 17]
Details on the satellite:
FORMOSAT-5 - Wikipedia
FORMOSAT 5

This is a lightweight satellite at a little over 1000 pounds. So there will be plenty of extra fuel. We will find out if there will be a west coast RTLS for this mission. The pad is there at Vandenberg. It all comes down to permits at this point. If it doesn't RTLS it should be an easy ASDS landing on JRTI.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go see this launch but my wife and I will be on the road coming back from a 6 day trip to Oregon to see the eclipse.

When you say "the pad is there" do you mean the stage LZ at Vandy is built and ready but not officially permitted to operate yet?

Yes. The Vandy pad is there and ready. It sits right next to the launch pad. You can see it in this picture, to the right and behind the F9.
31450835954_178ca1272b_z.jpg

Oops. I just caught that the launch details says that it will be an ASDS landing. So whatever permits are needed are going very very slowly.

Lastly, it is my understanding that this satellite was originally supposed to be launched on a Falcon 1. SpaceX dropped the F1 and this launch sat in limbo for years. SpaceX had Sherpa included but the long delays caused Sherpa to launch most of its small sats on other launches. So now Formosat gets its own F9 since it has a unique orbital profile that prohibits other payloads from joining the launch.

The SpaceX Vandenberg launches take place on the eastern launch pad of Complex 4. The western pad was a previous launch site that SpaceX has now refurbished for future use as a booster RTLS. From the perspective of Grendal's photo it appears likely that the RTLS area is in the background. I took a google map shot of what I believe are the locations of the two pads. At the time of this photo the RTLS appears to still be under construction. I measured the distance between the sites at just over a quarter mile.

Vandenberg.PNG

Wow thanks for the analysis. I'm amazed at how close that LZ is to all those structures. @Grendal, okay, I'm convinced. :rolleyes:
The SpaceX Vandenberg launches take place on the eastern launch pad of Complex 4. The western pad was a previous launch site that SpaceX has now refurbished for future use as a booster RTLS. From the perspective of Grendal's photo it appears likely that the RTLS area is in the background. I took a google map shot of what I believe are the locations of the two pads. At the time of this photo the RTLS appears to still be under construction. I measured the distance between the sites at just over a quarter mile.

View attachment 242057

Here we go:

Weather is 90% go for tomorrow.

I don't think I've mentioned it yet but this should be the last Block 3 F9 FT. The last launch was a Block 4 and all future launches should be Block 4 until Block 5 arrives at the end of the year. Details about the differences between Block 3 an 4 are not well known. I expect that the engine improvement has happened. Block 5 will be very obvious because the landing legs will change to the type that doesn't need to be removed.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Going to view this launch, excited!

In the area and hopefully will see it launch. Are you going to Hawk's Nest, Ocean Avenue or another viewing area? Year's ago we went on a tour at VAFB and were also down there for a great airshow. Been awhile since both so if this is a go it will be the first launch we've seen. Excited too, especially given it's a SpaceX launch. News said it should be clear by launch time.

Last edited:
In the area and hopefully will see it launch. Are you going to Hawk's Nest, Ocean Avenue or another viewing area? Year's ago we went on a tour at VAFB and were also down there for a great airshow. Been awhile since both so if this is a go it will be the first launch we've seen. Excited too, especially given it's a SpaceX launch. News said it should be clear by launch time.

Yes, I will be at Hawk's nest. It's especially significant to me that the Formosat 5 satellite was built 100% by Taiwan where I came from.

Reactions: e-FTW