Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - Iridium Next 1-10 - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Successful deployment of all ten satellites!

Fuel loading - nominal
Launch - nominal
Max Q - nominal
MECO - nominal
Booster landing - nominal
SECO and second burn - nominal
Satellite deployment - nominal

100% success! SpaceX is back on track. Next up is EchoStar.

This is the first West Coast used booster. It will be interesting to see the pictures of it coming into port. Will they take it back to the Hawthorne factory? We'll see.

Last edited:

Fuel loading - nominal
Launch - nominal
Max Q - nominal
MECO - nominal

This is the first West Coast used booster. It will be interesting to see the pictures of it coming into port. Will they take it back to the Hawthorne factory? We'll see.
This has been one really exciting morning for me! I watched Elon's twitter and I watched the entire event on YouTube per the Elon tweets. It was a very great feeling to watch our species and our planet touch space again with some of our communications networks. Go Iridium! And that landing was absolutely fantastic video. I loved it.

Reactions: Grendal

Fuel loading - nominal
Launch - nominal
Max Q - nominal
MECO - nominal

I get a chuckle out the use of the term "nominal" for a successful execution. Talk about an understatement! "Woohoo" would be more apt in my book! :)

Reactions: Grendal

Fuel loading - nominal
Launch - nominal
Max Q - nominal
MECO - nominal

I suppose there is plenty of work in space for all in the business, but Lockheed and Boeing can't be too happy with SpaceX's success - such tremendous financial and technological barriers to overcome. I am in awe with Elon Musk's achievements.

Reactions: Matias
It was interesting that this time around SpaceX had Infra-Red shots of the rocket. That made for some interesting video that we've never seen before.

I suppose there is plenty of work in space for all in the business, but Lockheed and Boeing can't be too happy with SpaceX's success - such tremendous financial and technological barriers to overcome. I am in awe with Elon Musk's achievements.

I think for the next ten years or so Boeing and ULA are pretty safe. I think they have changed their strategy of "beating" SpaceX (which they can't) and instead are focusing on being the solid, reliable, but more expensive alternative. That gives the USA two orbital launch programs instead of just one.

ULA would not admit it but SpaceX has made them a much better company. Prices have dropped and they had to step up and focus on what they do. Prior to that they could casually sit on their monopoly and rake in the sweet government money.

Last edited:
It was interesting that this time around SpaceX had an Infra-Red shots of the rocket. That made for some interesting video that we've never seen before.

I think for the next ten years or so Boeing and ULA are pretty safe. I think they have changed their strategy of "beating" SpaceX (which they can't) and instead are focusing on being the solid, reliable, but more expensive alternative. That gives the USA two orbital launch programs instead of just one.

ULA would not admit it but SpaceX has made them a much better company. Prices have dropped and they had to step up and focus on what they do. Prior to that they could casually sit on their monopoly and rake in the sweet government money.

I think Blue Origin will be the biggest competitor to SpaceX. Their New Glenn rocket looks like a solid entry with re-usibility built into it from the get-go, and methalox engines for cheap fuel. Jeff Bezos also has pretty deep pockets as well.

I think Blue Origin will be the biggest competitor to SpaceX. Their New Glenn rocket looks like a solid entry with re-usibility built into it from the get-go, and methalox engines for cheap fuel. Jeff Bezos also has pretty deep pockets as well.

The more the merrier as far as I am concerned. New Glenn sounds great on paper and Blue Origin does have some experience under their belt. That said, BO is really starting from scratch. The New Shepard was completely different from what the New Glenn will be. The Falcon 1 was just a smaller version of what the Falcon 9 eventually became. The New Glenn will use none of the hardware from New Shepard. So that means that they will have to learn the same things that took SpaceX years to learn and achieve. I would not be surprised if it takes BO about six to ten years to get to the same speed that SpaceX is at now with the New Glenn.

The same is true for SpaceX on the ITS.

Another interesting fact is that ULA is very likely using the same engine for the New Glenn in the replacement rocket for the Atlas V, the Vulcan.

Reactions: Mike1080i
You hear the term a lot, but I'd call that a triumphant return to flight.

Quickest RTF after the loss of a vehicle? Check.
Validate failure analysis and fueling procedure change by not having a RUD on the pad this time? Check. Caveat: need a few more smooth launches to call it fully validated, but since this one didn't go boom I'd say the changes they made were successful.
Flawless liftoff? Check.
Successfully deploy payload? Only part of the flight that really matters, checkaroonie.
Nail the landing and make it look routine? Check, and check.

So thrilling to be able to watch the whole thing happen, no matter how many times I see it.

The whole SpaceX team should feel a huge amount of pride in overcoming the adversity of the past few months. Well done indeed.