Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Prepared for 'Most Difficult Launch Ever' - STP-2 FH launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
SpaceX is preparing for a Falcon Heavy mission today that Elon Musk calls the company’s “most difficult launch ever.” The STP-2 mission will launch from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida at 11:30 p.m. ET. Deployments will begin approximately 12 minutes after liftoff and end approximately 3 hours and 32 minutes after liftoff. Falcon Heavy’s...
READ FULL ARTICLE​

Last edited by a moderator:
video of the action by SpaceX:
Wow, that is a lot! I think I saw two re-lights of the second stage. Would that be a first for SpaceX?

And it ends with a “Propulsive Passivation”. Had never heard that before, so the Interwebs to the rescue:
“Passivation” is an important part of the end-of-life disposal of a space system to avert the risk of spacecraft break-up that could result in debris scattering. With passivation, all the stored energy of a spacecraft or orbital stage that is left in the propulsive and in the power systems is used up to prevent accidental post-mission explosions. Passivation measures may include depletion burns, venting of fuel tanks and other pressure vessels, discharging of batteries, and inhibition of pyro devices.
Source: Space Debris Mitigation

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and Grendal
I’d love to make this launch.
How crammed up is the supercharger network around Falcon Heavy launches?
not bad if you can come through Orlando...
the 14 stall charger is east side of downtown and closest to space coast...
these are your options in Orlando...
Screenshot_20190416-230816_Tesla.jpg

And it ends with a “Propulsive Passivation”. Had never heard that before, so the Interwebs to the rescue:

Yeah, its sort of the equivalent of speeding up toward the end of a supercharged leg to use up more energy.

Barely related, in the future look for orbiting tankers to siphon off remaining propellant from dead assets for refueling of other assets. :cool:

Most difficult launch or most difficult landing, Grendal?
(Welcome back, btw)

I'm guessing both. The launch for the complexity of the payload and the scrutiny the military will be giving the process. The landing because it will be the farthest and fastest booster recovery yet: the center booster, that is, not the side boosters.

And thanks, good to be back. Just in time for this big important launch.

70% go for weather according to the 45th.

is it the payload weight, or the trajectory that makes this complex?

Is this launch also carrying the Bill Nye's mini 'Light Sail' satellite to go beyond Earth and towards other planets. Alteast that was the plan for the 2nd launch, but not sure if that happened.