Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Most probably not the right thread to ask but I'll still ask : I have had the Starlink service for the past year (rectangle dish and router without regular ethernet cabling (i.e. it's using Starlink specific cabling and connectors) and it works well. I'd like to know if any off you have had success in disabling wifi while using the ethernet adaptor? I looked at Reddit and found a few threads but nothing helped me on that front.

If there is a better place for this thread, please relocate my question there.

Thanks
Are you having trouble disabling it?
I use the adapter and a third party WiFi AP but left the Starlink one active also.
Only takes one slider to disable it though...

SmartSelect_20240118_063540_Starlink.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: hydro
Are you having trouble disabling it?
I use the adapter and a third party WiFi AP but left the Starlink one active also.
Only takes one slider to disable it though...

View attachment 1010017

Some time back we discussed the hidden WiFi network that the Starlink routers have running, and there being no way to disable it.

Has this changed, and that slider disables WiFi entirely, or does it just turn off any the user has configured, but still has the hidden one running?

• Informative
Reactions: hydro
And you know this, how?

Thanks for asking!

First, it’s worth aligning on unlikely and non-starter markets: Of the many countries in the world, some will flat out refuse to consider an American service like Starlink. There’s the obvious big hitters like Jai-Nuh and Russia and obvious non starters like DPRK and African Warlord states, but there’s also countries that have pretty strict lawful intercept type regulations that really don’t play with a constellation that uses ISLs. (Remember that was the main technical rift between Musk and Wyler—Wyler knew he could access more countries without interlinks, Musk thought that was a over-indexing limitation).

While it’s fair to label such governments as corrupt (especially the ‘hard no to American internet’ group), that corruption isn’t the reason why they’re rejecting Starlink service. (While not the point, I’d also contest most of those governments are actually quite efficient…pleasing the whim of an autocrat is far more efficient than maintaining rigor over established bureaucratic processes).

Similarly, while a major country like India certainly has its fair share of corruption and inefficiency, it’s really not accurate to blame India’s slow rolling of Starlink on corruption or inefficiency. They clearly have a national interest in oneweb’s success; it’s hard to criticize a nation preferring a home team solution.

With that said, in no particular order:
  • After removing the above countries, you’ll find that the list of Starlink enabled countries largely maps to the list of highest GDPs.
  • A similar metric, after removing the above countries, you’ll find that the subscriber % per country (and per capita take rate) largely maps the country by country go-live timeline.
  • I happen to have a better understanding than most regarding the country by country grind required to secure landing rights for satellite service. Every country has its own way of doing things and, while none of them are particularly out of family from a big picture timeline, they’re all quite nuanced. It’s a massive effort to understand each one and SX doesn’t (and rightly so) have the staff to simply solicit the entire world concurrently. It’s not something that gets done with a few calls—the SX team is definitely living the dream on their Global Services and Delta 360 pedestals.
  • There’s a few exceptions, notably the Caribbean. One will find that those that aren’t territories (French, Dutch) are generally islands that have crappy infrastructure and are heavy on tourism.

Deere (John Deere) is adding Starlink to its agricultural equipment.

Now. If someone could step up and produce a realistically fuctional EV-Tractor for small scale use (pushing snow, small-field mowing, etc.). That Kubota diesel I ran back in CO was very difficult to start, refuel and maintain. Please? After all, I think that all the electric motor would need to do is drive a hydraulic pump, which then powers the drive wheels, steering, PTOs, etc. It can't be that difficult, but I'm probably missing something. SIGH. So happy to have left that all behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz and navguy12
Now. If someone could step up and produce a realistically fuctional EV-Tractor for small scale use (pushing snow, small-field mowing, etc.). That Kubota diesel I ran back in CO was very difficult to start, refuel and maintain. Please? After all, I think that all the electric motor would need to do is drive a hydraulic pump, which then powers the drive wheels, steering, PTOs, etc. It can't be that difficult, but I'm probably missing something. SIGH. So happy to have left that all behind.
There's a US company called Monarch that sells something that sounds right up your alley. Up to 14 hour run time, 40 hp PTO, three configurations. But not on the North American Charging Standard, so no supercharging for you. As with all electric vehicles these days, it's pricey. $89,000 versus something like the John Deere 4075R at $67,000.

There's a US company called Monarch that sells something that sounds right up your alley. Up to 14 hour run time, 40 hp PTO, three configurations. But not on the North American Charging Standard, so no supercharging for you. As with all electric vehicles these days, it's pricey. $89,000 versus something like the John Deere 4075R at $67,000.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. This is a company worth watching! A machine with long run time and overnight charging, OTA updates, unattended operation! Hopefully the price will lower as the company scales up. Their focus appears to be (appropriately) commercial scale farming. The've done a great job addressing those needs. My Colorado application was mainly field mowing to eradicate weeds along with some minor land forming. In winter, I moved snow for eleven neighbors along a common private road. Considering those working conditions, I'd definitly want an enclosed cab station with heat along with AC and dust filtration. Field maintenance might require a CAT-3 PTO for larger quick-attach implements. I've fully retired now and moved to Washington where my need now is private roadside maintenance, and I'd likely implement a boom-mounted sickle bar to control the #$%! blackberry vines. I'll be watching Monarch for future model updates. Thanks for providing this!

MODS: feel free to move to a more appropriate thread.

Well, Hawaiian Airlines embracing this technology implies improved in-flight Wi-Fi, overcoming traditional limitations. The FAA's green light underlines confidence in Starlink's reliability. As we soar into a new era of air travel, passengers can anticipate a seamless online experience, even cruising over the Pacific. This move so much elevates passenger convenience.
Maybe one day I will fly to Hawaii, although now I can only dream:)

Last edited:
Reactions: scaesare