Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The idiocy, it burns! SpaceX (Starlink) and Telesat were invited to give testimony in front of Canadian politicians on rural broadband access. Transcript here (Evidence - INDU (43-2) - No. 4 - House of Commons of Canada).

Some choice quotes:

[SpaceX]The provinces I listed are where the beta has been offered to date. The satellites will cover all of Quebec at some point. The stage at which we offer the public beta in Quebec is now determined more by whether the tests, all the supporting documentation and install kits are stable enough that we want to translate them into French.
Right now we are providing services that are in flux with getting the feedback from our customers to try to make sure that the service is as good as it can be, and we're refining information that would be available to the consumer.
Certainly we plan to offer services in Quebec. We expect the service to be able to technically cover all the territory. We have not started our public beta in Quebec at this point, which I would remind you, started on Friday.

[Politician] I must tell you it's disappointing to hear that every province in Canada is being serviced, except Quebec.

Geez. The ONLY reason why Quebec isn't part of the beta RIGHT NOW is that Quebec has a LAW that states any service offered in Quebec must have French language documentation. It's a beta service. No doubt they will have French language docs when it isn't a beta anymore.

The political undertones form this hearing were nauseating. Telesat, a Canadian govt leech, has been sucking billions of dollars of subsidies to deliver crappy service, and they have their pet politicians disparaging SpaceX.

Telesat is trying to keep their current $600M subsidy from Canada intact which will deliver a TOTAL of 140 gigabits of capacity. Meanwhile SpaceX lofts about 1,000 gigabit every launch of 60 satellites.

[Telesat]Fibre is a fantastic technology for delivering high-input connectivity. The problem with fibre is, first, it's expensive to trench, deploy and maintain. Second, it tends to be single thread. You can run multiple fibres but now you've doubled your cost.

This is just flat out incorrect.

[Telesat]I take my hat off to what SpaceX has developed. Listen to what Ms. Cooper has said. Ms. Cooper accurately said that because of their ability to launch satellites, they're vertically integrated. It gives them some advantages in terms of deploying a LEO constellation and going the next level. It didn't happen by accident. The Obama administration made a very conscious, strategic decision to move the U.S. away from launching the space shuttle all by itself and relying upon U.S. commercial industry to develop a capability. SpaceX rose to that challenge and answered the mail. In doing so they've received billions of dollars to help them develop those rockets, develop the Dragon capsule that we all witnessed last night, and now to develop low-earth orbit satellites and the like. That's an enormous advantage to them.

Translation: Come on ... SpaceX is being support by the US govt, so can we please, pretty please have that $600M subsidy, and oh, we also need money to clear out spectrum for 5G.

Earlier, SpaceX replied a question saying that they'll be able to cover all of Canada by 2022. Which stands in stark contrast to Telesat which is promising their 140 gigabits by 2030...

SpaceX replied to the above:

[SpaceX]I want to clarify something. I think the U.S. government has really shifted its focus from being an owner-operator of satellites and launch vehicles to being a customer. The great privilege that we have enjoyed as a supplier to the U.S. government is to provide services. The contract we have with NASA to deliver those astronauts is a service. We own the capsule and the rocket. That's a very different thing from having state-owned development money put in.

The idiocy, it burns! SpaceX (Starlink) and Telesat were invited to give testimony in front of Canadian politicians on rural broadband access. Transcript here (Evidence - INDU (43-2) - No. 4 - House of Commons of Canada).

Some choice quotes:

Geez. The ONLY reason why Quebec isn't part of the beta RIGHT NOW is that Quebec has a LAW that states any service offered in Quebec must have French language documentation. It's a beta service. No doubt they will have French language docs when it isn't a beta anymore.

The political undertones form this hearing were nauseating. Telesat, a Canadian govt leech, has been sucking billions of dollars of subsidies to deliver crappy service, and they have their pet politicians disparaging SpaceX.

Telesat is trying to keep their current $600M subsidy from Canada intact which will deliver a TOTAL of 140 gigabits of capacity. Meanwhile SpaceX lofts about 1,000 gigabit every launch of 60 satellites.

Translation: Come on ... SpaceX is being support by the US govt, so can we please, pretty please have that $600M subsidy, and oh, we also need money to clear out spectrum for 5G.

Earlier, SpaceX replied a question saying that they'll be able to cover all of Canada by 2022. Which stands in stark contrast to Telesat which is promising their 140 gigabits by 2030...

SpaceX replied to the above:

That's a bingo!
All absolutely correct. Your point RE Quebec and language is ALWAYS weaponized by politicians against non-Canadian companies, most of whom are happy to comply....after everything is translated into Quebec-French (not France French).

Reactions: e-FTW

Just to make sure nobody gets confused by the apples-to-oranges context of this statement, the 140 gigabit figure is what Telesat said they will provide to Canada in order to receive the subsidy. Conversely, the 1 terrabit/launch number for Starlink is explicitly a global figure and really is pretty abstract when one is trying to assign service to any particular land mass.

The 300 satellite Telesat constellation is reported in public domain to provide a global 16-24 terabits. At the 1 terrabit/launch Starlink rate (which FYI is probably just for the ~550km shells--I suspect the 20 gig/sat figure we've heard is for the lower altitude shells, and of course is why they're shying away from the high altitude shells these days) the 300 sat Telesat constellation is comparable to a Starlink constellation of ~1000-1400 satellites.

Of course, Starlink will be much bigger than that: If one believes starlink will go to ~4000 active satellites, it will provide 3-4x the global capacity as Telesat or, assuming linear scaling, ~450-550 gigabits of capacity to Canadia. If one believes starlink will go to 1200 satellites, the constellation would provide +/- ~9-12x the capacity over Telesat, or ~1200-1700 gigabits to Canada. So those are the apples-to-apples numbers to the 140 gigs from Telesat.

That won't be Telesat's biggest hurdle though; there's plenty of markets where small fish prove profitable along side big fish...online retail is a great example. The biggest issue Telesat will have (again, if they ever actually pull the trigger) is the fact that SpaceX will always be much more forward leaning when it comes to concepts and much more agressive when it comes to risk. While a single Telesat satellite is an impressive feat of legacy space technology (~3-4x the mass of a Starlink, 3-4x the capacity at a significantly higher altitude, and 2x+ the lifetime in a significantly harsher environment) its cost to orbit annualized over service life, without crossing any public domain lines for either company, is significantly higher than a starlink sat. That cost all but necessitates a restrained approach to technology, because the thing is so expensive and there are relatively few satellites in the constellation that each one basically has to work. And because each one is up there for twice as long, the constellation has to wait twice as long for a technology refresh. And...and...and...

There are countless islands and other geographically dispersed populations for which physical communication capacity is either unavailable or, if available, is exotically expensive and slow. Starlink has all ovens full fo such places. Even many densely populated areas have poor internet and telephony. Even Northern California has a few areas with nonexistent mobile telephony and difficult, expensive internet services. Once the capacity appears much of the world will find the offerings irritable to established players and irresistible to everyone else. Thus politics will be the primary impediment to growth, but, as in Canada, reality might well overwhelm the establishment.

FWIW, it is transparently obvious that prices will decline as capacity and technology improves, with one principal challenge being dish improvements.

Personally I expect to find the ability to use a single provider for my three-country residential needs to be irresistible. Such solutions will come too, and for those the price can be higher, much higher, even though the cost will be negligible for Starlink. Now imagine all the multinational companies, airlines, shipping companies, air forces, navies et al whose needs can be satisfied more cheaply and/or more satisfactorily from Starlink!

All our blathering, mine included, reminds me of Tesla in 2008. The Roadster was amazing, was it not? Now it's Starlink in its' original Roadster phase.

Reactions: Guy V
Satellite internet Starlink and/or Telesat (right @bxr140 ;)) will be a godsend, and currently the best foreseeable option, to these communities.

To be clear, I think there's well under a 50/50 chance Telesat will actually come to fruition, primarily because of the timeline. Telesat's been talking about this in the publicly for probably 5 years now (more or less the same as Starlink though IIRC starlink was public first), but they have no public hardware and are years away from being able to offer actual service to customers. The longer they wait, the harder it becomes to secure private funding and the more they need to rely on Mother Canadia to [politely] foot the bill. And as we know from state funded projects the world 'round, those holding the purse strings typically aren't going to let a proper result get in the way of good old fashioned politics.

The reason I chime in on Telesat (and other entities) is that I believe it useful to have unbiased, fact-based conversations about SpaceX and things beyond SpaceX. I recommend you consider a similar mindset.

SpaceX has secured $885.5M in FCC rural broadband subsidies

4th highest amount of all the bidders!
https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-368588A1.pdf

1.) LTD Broadband LLC - $1,320,920,718.60 Awarded - 528,088 Sites - 15 States

2.) CCO Holdings, LLC (Charter Communications) - $1,222,613,870.10 Awarded - 1,057,695 Sites - 24 States

3.) Rural Electric Cooperative Consortium - $1,104,395,953.00 Awarded - 618,476 Sites - 22 States

4.) Space Exploration Technologies Corp - $$885,509,638.40 Awarded - 642,925 Sites - 35 States

5.) Windstream Services LLC, Debtor-In-Possession - $522,888,779.80 Awarded - 192,567 Sites - 18 States

Interesting that Hughes got ~1.3M. Beside that being laughably infinitesimal over 10 years (not to mention, like one hand of poker for Charlie), I thought the RDOF latency requirement full stop ruled out GEO? Or maybe there was a lower tier? I don't remember...

FWIW Charlie is sitting on a gold mine of S-band from the failed Terrestar and ICO projects that he's trying to convert into terrestrial use to become the 4th carrier, but MNO's aren't eligible either so that 1.3M has to be toward HughesNet. Also, no mention of Viasat (not sure if they bothered to apply for funds)

Somewhat related, the C-band auction kicks off tomorrow.

SpaceX has secured $885.5M in FCC rural broadband subsidies

4th highest amount of all the bidders!
https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-368588A1.pdf

1.) LTD Broadband LLC - $1,320,920,718.60 Awarded - 528,088 Sites - 15 States

2.) CCO Holdings, LLC (Charter Communications) - $1,222,613,870.10 Awarded - 1,057,695 Sites - 24 States

3.) Rural Electric Cooperative Consortium - $1,104,395,953.00 Awarded - 618,476 Sites - 22 States

4.) Space Exploration Technologies Corp - $$885,509,638.40 Awarded - 642,925 Sites - 35 States

5.) Windstream Services LLC, Debtor-In-Possession - $522,888,779.80 Awarded - 192,567 Sites - 18 States

That's really good, I think.

How did Alaska get $0 in support???

Looking at the clickable map (zoom in and click: Federal Communications Commission) which shows who won what area, SpaceX basically won all the "red" areas. Basically, wherever others weren't bidding to put in fiber. IIRC, all these winning bidders simply get handed over $$ to build out their networks, and then they charge their customers whatever fee they bid. So, SpaceX just got $885M free money from the govt to do what they were going to do anyways. Of course, winning RDOF subsidy $$ could very well have been part of the Starlink business plan (and it probably was).

Last edited:
That's really good, I think.

How did Alaska get $0 in support???

Looking at the clickable map (zoom in and click) which shows who won what area, SpaceX basically won all the "red" areas. Basically, wherever others weren't bidding to put in fiber. IIRC, all these winning bidders simply get handed over $$ to build out their networks, and then they charge their customers whatever fee they bid. So, SpaceX just got $885M free money from the govt to do what they were going to do anyways. Of course, winning RDOF subsidy $$ could very well have been part of the Starlink business plan (and it probably was).

Link to the map? Could not find it on the FCC website or in the press release.

Link to the map? Could not find it on the FCC website or in the press release.

Sorry, I meant to link it: Federal Communications Commission

Edit: That map doesn't allow you to zoom too closely. To see the same map, which allows higher zoom, but doesn't have who won, click here: Federal Communications Commission

BTW, in the category of "good enough for government work", you'll notice really weird things like high density urban areas getting subsidy coverage, while other remote areas get none.

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke
Just spent some time over at the Starlink reddit. Most commenters don't realize that this $885M isn't funding anything specific, nor is it subsidizing user access in those regions directly. It makes no difference to you if you are in one of those census regions. You still pay the $499 startup cost and the $99/month subscription fee. I believe the only requirement is that if SpaceX puts a data cap on, it'll be at least 2 TB/month.

Not sure if you RV (there are a LOT of us that do), but the biggest issue with it is the CRAP internet, not just from your phone, but from the RV parks you visit. Lots of RV'ers that make their money from the internet will wait to get on the net until they are near a Starbucks or whatever and then do all their uploading to YouTube and whatnot.

To have internet that is full speed wherever you park is going to be a gamechanger and RV'ers have the $$$ to afford it. It may even be a thing where people park their RV in the yard and use it for their HOME internet to save on paying for the net twice.