Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like Kahn you are thinking in 2 dimensions.

A pizza box is about 5cm high. What kind of toppings do you order to get one that's as tall as a Starlink dish?

Up till now it was seemingly self-evident that the pizza box comparison was meant to give ROM dimensions and a near universally understood layman’s volumetric visual of the UFO part of “UFO on a stick”, and NOT actually provide significant digit accuracy on the UT’s dimensions...

Honestly, what out there gives a better visual that an average person would understand?

Any thoughts on putting it under a fiberglass roof fairing on my motorhome? I had been thinking about doing that with a Dish Network dish, but this would be even cooler. I assume that that would be the same as the dome they put over those portable dishes, transparent in the frequencies we are talking about.

It's a set-it-and-forget-it install, right? I don't wanna have to remove the sink again to get access under the fairing in order to reset it or something.

Wouldn't it make sense that SpaceX has their own custom chip for driving the phased array of the UT and a larger version (more channels/ elements) for the satellites?

Yeah, for sure. They can definitely get away with a smaller and cheaper chip for the UT than the latest-and-greatest from the nano race that they’re surely packaging in the sat.

There’s still a bunch of direct and indirect cost involved in getting a package to someone’s doorstep.

I could be wrong and we could see the $250 or whatever I Elon advertised way back when, but...history has shown that it’s a pretty safe bet to take the over anytime Elon quotes dollars.

Reactions: mongo
Any thoughts on putting it under a fiberglass roof fairing on my motorhome? I had been thinking about doing that with a Dish Network dish, but this would be even cooler. I assume that that would be the same as the dome they put over those portable dishes, transparent in the frequencies we are talking about.

It's a set-it-and-forget-it install, right? I don't wanna have to remove the sink again to get access under the fairing in order to reset it or something.

Satellite TV is geostationary so that dish must point at a specific spot over the equator. Starlink sats will be present overhead in most of the world (53 degrees north to south for current launches).
Pointing and the limited latitudes of beta testing is needed now due to the sparse constellation which has better coverage at the 53 degree lattitude.
Once the constellation is more complete, the antenna should not need the additional motors and mast/ stand ka completely seperate item from the antenna itself) so it could sit flat.
Here are some preliminary angle details.
SmartSelect_20201122-125519_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Yeah, for sure. They can definitely get away with a smaller and cheaper chip for the UT than the latest-and-greatest from the nano race that they’re surely packaging in the sat.

There’s still a bunch of direct and indirect cost involved in getting a package to someone’s doorstep.

I could be wrong and we could see the $250 or whatever I Elon advertised way back when, but...history has shown that it’s a pretty safe bet to take the over anytime Elon quotes dollars.
Yeah, for the size of the array and projected numbers of units, custom silicon seems useful. Tesla did it for AP3 and is doing it again for HW4 and maybe Dojo. Besides, the complete system needs FCC approval (and any other regulators in countries it is used) so off the shelf doesn't help a whole lot.

Reactions: bxr140
Here are some preliminary angle details.

1.5deg is quite small and Oth orders out to thousands and probably many thousands of beams which will require some pretty mega processing on the satellite. Even so, 1.5° is still quite a bit of area on the ground. At 540km 1.5° directly overhead is over ~150 km^2 and out at the edge of coverage its easily 2x that.

Just doing very round math (or using C-student intuition), its clear that the strength of the constellation is going to be the massive number of satellites with numerous overlapping coverage areas, so beams from multiple sats can simultaneously cover the same areas. This is really where Starlink is going to excel in total user base over a constellation like OneWeb or Telesat, where there will be significantly fewer layers of coverage over any particular place.

Round Math Assumptions:
--One sat is 20gbps
--One beam gets all of that (reality is there's no way this happens, but it at least gives a good bookend)
--Average coverage area of 200km^2 (compared to the best case 150km^2)

Good Math Willing, the somewhat generous assumptions above basically serve each km^2 with an average of 50Mbps or, for imperial visualization, ~0.2Mbps per acre. So, if you lived in a rural area where every user had a 5 acre plot, each of you would get an average of 1Mbps download from one sat. That doesn't sound great, but that's actual average traffic (not like a speedtest rate or anything), so its probably not the terrible-est.

The good news is that even at the current ~1000 satellites users in higher elevations have upwards of 3-4 satellites worth of coverage, which you can kind of hand wave as 3-4x that 1mbps rate. For the ~4000 satellite constellation the layers of coverage won't scale linearly, but its probably a safe 8-10x for much of CONUS—at least the northern half--for a round number average of ~10mbps/user for the 5 acre example.

I'm not a network expert here and welcome a cross check, but that actually sounds pretty reasonable when you factor that network traffic typically has has a lot of peaks and valleys--average rate doesn't tell the whole story. To analogize, your main house breaker rating isn’t simply the sum of all the circuit breakers, its much much lower than the sum.

Variables that will affect the above numbers:
--Most importantly, the beam hopping scheme. Its really hard to imagine the entire sat capacity being put into one beam, both from a hardware perspective and also latency—especially if there's thousands of beams to hop around even a 1ms per hop leaves a user waiting a long time for the next burst of packets... Anyway as previously noted I am NOT an antenna person or a network person, but I'd surmise that there needs to be many tens if not hundreds of active beams in order to keep the latency manageable. This would be negative linear scaling of the above numbers; if there are 100 beams, the above math more or less linearly factors down from 1.0mbps/user to 0.1mbps/user.
--User density of course makes a huge difference too: if we're talking a user per 1 acre (which really isn't rural anyway) the above math scales linearly down to 2mbps/user, if we're talking a user per 20 acres the above math scales linearly up to 40mbps/user.
--Additional satellites: This won't exactly be a positive linear scaling, but from a practical perspective it is pretty unbounded--Starlink will almost certainly be able to scale up as much as they need to support the plausible global user base Sats at higher altitudes will have less performance than the 540km case played out above since each beam will cover more users, and of course the opposite is true for sats at lower altitudes.
--Higher Performance Satellites: Like any technology product, SpaceX isn't going to just keep sending up the same satellites. Based on user demand and technology evolution, they're going to get better, with some combination of narrower beams and more simultaneous beams to better isolate users, basically serving a smaller number of users with the same bandwidth.
--Higher Performance UTs: It is likely system performance will be bounded by PFD limits, which basically means that a satellite cannot just blast users at a higher power in order to have a stronger link (and thus higher data rate). While a UT doesn't necessarily need to form a ton of beams and also doesn't need mega processing power for complex hopping (it pretty much just needs enough beams to track a handful of satellites across the sky one at a time) higher directivity and gain will also generally improve link performance. I wouldn't see this as a major upgrade path for the system as the UTs would have been sized to begin with for pretty great performance, but certainly there will be evolutionary upgrades that may not manifest as outright faster speed but will certainly improve the overall service.
--More channels: V band is the next great thing for satellite comms; this will be a step function when it makes it to users. There’s plenty of FCC and ITU filings out there in the >Ka region...most are go-nowhere real estate grabs, so it’s not like they’re going to be gone forever.

Round Math Assumptions:
--One sat is 20gbps
--One beam gets all of that (reality is there's no way this happens, but it at least gives a good bookend)
--Average coverage area of 200km^2 (compared to the best case 150km^2)

Good Math Willing, the somewhat generous assumptions above basically serve each km^2 with an average of 50Mbps...

So much for good math. (I actually revised and unrevised my assumptions and didn’t changed the math back)

TLDR, 20gbps/200km^2 does indeed maths out to 100mbps/km^2, not 50. So double any other rates if you’re actually playing along.

• Helpful
Reactions: abasile
So much for good math. (I actually revised and unrevised my assumptions and didn’t changed the math back)

TLDR, 20gbps/200km^2 does indeed maths out to 100mbps/km^2, not 50. So double any other rates if you’re actually playing along.
From a filing, 352 km altitude satellites have a spot size of 52km^2 and coverage area of 607,000 km^2.

Attachments

• Technical(3).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 94
  • Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
From a filing, 352 km altitude satellites have a spot size of 52km^2

Geometry says 67km^2 directly overhead at 352 (and, so, ~twice that at the edge of the sat’s coverage), so it sounds like the 1.5deg beamwidth is a bit of a round up and/or accounts for roll off at the edge of the beams. It’s a bit of a wash regardless, as smaller beamwidths practically translate into more active beams...so less available bandwidth per beam.

Reactions: mongo
FWIW I’ve just assumed 20gbps is the forward user link since that’s the biggest number I’ve heard advertised. I don’t think the user links are symmetrical, and sort of a secondary assumption is that the gateway links are sized appropriately for the aggregate asymmetric user traffic.

OK, here's a my funky way of figuring out a napkin business case for Starlink.

If we assume each sat, when over land, can send down 10 Gbps to customers.

At 2 Mbps/customer (bear with me, I'm using better than geo sat service, but not as good as wireline), that means a single sat can service about 5,000 customers.

At $99/month, that means a single sat generates $5.9M a year in revenue.

But of course, satellites aren't always flying over populated areas. On a fleet basis, the maximum utilization could ever be maybe 20%. Let's assume 5% as their goal. So, real revenue per sat is about $300K/yr once they sign up many countries.

How long a lifetime does each sat have on average? 4 years I think. So lifetime revenue, once the system gets up and operating on a global basis, is $1.2M per sat.

On the cost side, each sat costs ... $250K?
Launch costs are, what $20M cost to Spacex to launch 60 sats, for $333K/sat.

So you've got about $600K in capital cost out of $1.2M in revenue. Then you have ground station costs, salaries, etc.

Without doing a lot more work making a recurring cost model, I'd guess that it actually looks doable. Barely, but it might actually break even!

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 person
OK, here's a my funky way of figuring out a napkin business case for Starlink.

If we assume each sat, when over land, can send down 10 Gbps to customers.

At 2 Mbps/customer (bear with me, I'm using better than geo sat service, but not as good as wireline), that means a single sat can service about 5,000 customers.

At $99/month, that means a single sat generates $5.9M a year in revenue.

But of course, satellites aren't always flying over populated areas. On a fleet basis, the maximum utilization could ever be maybe 20%. Let's assume 5% as their goal. So, real revenue per sat is about $300K/yr once they sign up many countries.

How long a lifetime does each sat have on average? 4 years I think. So lifetime revenue, once the system gets up and operating on a global basis, is $1.2M per sat.

On the cost side, each sat costs ... $250K?
Launch costs are, what $20M cost to Spacex to launch 60 sats, for $333K/sat.

So you've got about $600K in capital cost out of $1.2M in revenue. Then you have ground station costs, salaries, etc.

Without doing a lot more work making a recurring cost model, I'd guess that it actually looks doable. Barely, but it might actually break even!
99$ a month and 500 dollars up front for 2 Mbps.

(Edit; I understood @Cosmacelf wrong.)

That does not sound very strong business case? If you rise the speed you can service less customers.

Also population around the globe is very unevenly distributed and there are vast areas with almost no people.
Mapping Population Density Across the Globe

One thing is, that median annual household income worldwide is approximately 10 k usd, so 99$ a monthly would be 12% of that.

Last edited:
99$ a month and 500 dollars up front for 2 Mbps. That does not sound very strong business case? If you rise the speed you can service less customers.

You didn’t understand my previous post (SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink). An ISP backhaul network (ie the uplink to the Internet) is a small fraction of what the total combined bandwidth is of the access network. So, for instance, I gave an example of a small 700 customer ISP that delivers gigabit access via fiber. Each customer has 1,000 Mbps of bandwidth, yet all 700 of them result in about 4,000 Mbps of bandwidth demand on the Internet uplink during the day (using a 5 minute sample time). Why so low? It’s just statistical averaging. At any one time, any one customer may not be using that much bandwidth.

Anyways, today, an ISP delivering gigabit speeds will find their uplink demand around 4 Mbps to 8 Mbps per customer. I chose a slightly degraded number of 2 Mbps for my calcs since that number is still going to be a whole lot better than geo sat service, so rural customers will still be happy with it.

You didn’t understand my previous post (SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink). An ISP backhaul network (ie the uplink to the Internet) is a small fraction of what the total combined bandwidth is of the access network. So, for instance, I gave an example of a small 700 customer ISP that delivers gigabit access via fiber. Each customer has 1,000 Mbps of bandwidth, yet all 700 of them result in about 4,000 Mbps of bandwidth demand on the Internet uplink during the day (using a 5 minute sample time). Why so low? It’s just statistical averaging. At any one time, any one customer may not be using that much bandwidth.

Anyways, today, an ISP delivering gigabit speeds will find their uplink demand around 4 Mbps to 8 Mbps per customer. I chose a slightly degraded number of 2 Mbps for my calcs since that number is still going to be a whole lot better than geo sat service, so rural customers will still be happy with it.
Ok thanks. So roughly average 2 Mbps would be 250-500Mb/s for the end user?

Edit; according to this
https://www.ctcnet.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/CTC-ConnectivityPerformanceFactorsBrief0213141.pdf

100:1 oversubscription would be typical, so that bodes rather well with that.

Last edited: