Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX investor's thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Elon Musk
SpaceX has no need for additional capital and will actually be buying back shares. We do liquidity rounds for employees and investors every ~6 months."
Interesting. I wonder if that will be the company buying back from employees to create their payout, or buying back from the private equity investors of the last 10 years who may also be interested in a cash out.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
As a SpaceX investor, I hope so. Creates a tool in the toolbelt that did not exist up to now if non-employee investors have an avenue to liquidation. In my case, it would likely be partial - sell 10% of my SpaceX holdings - but it would be welcome.
Presumably you invested via a SPV, so the SPV would have to facilitate the sale. I don’t think many SPVs would get off their tushes and do that very often, if at all.

Would be nice - I'm not sure what the trigger would be to say 'go'. Would it be the ability to create a big bundle of cash (as opposed to Starlink creating consistent, small monthly bundles of cash) to fuel continual development of Starship? A less restricted way to free up access to cash for SpaceX employees than bi-annual private equity sales? Other? All?

Would be nice - I'm not sure what the trigger would be to say 'go'. Would it be the ability to create a big bundle of cash (as opposed to Starlink creating consistent, small monthly bundles of cash) to fuel continual development of Starship? A less restricted way to free up access to cash for SpaceX employees than bi-annual private equity sales? Other? All?
When the expected IPO proceeds exceed the IRR of expected Starlink profits.

Reactions: JB47394
  • Informative
Reactions: scaesare
Imagine the SEC barring him from being an officer or director of a public company.
He'd probably take Tesla private. He got the votes for his compensation, so the majority of shareholders believe in him. If he says he wants to go private, the shareholders would probably back him up. Everyone would retain their shares, but in a private setup, like SpaceX.

If that happens, then the financial shenanigans at Tesla will really get started.

For Starlink, SpaceX could easily spin it off and leave Elon out of official roles, but with him as a significant shareholder. Bill Gates is a "technology advisor" at Microsoft, and Elon could be "meme mentor" to the CEO.

Elon would love the fact that he has no responsibility but lots of influence. It might actually work out to be the perfect way for him to operate in a company; everyone knows he's the boss, but nobody will do anything that he says if it breaks the law, and anything he wants said in the guise of the company would be automatically filtered by whichever employee was tasked with saying it.

What does this deal with Comcast mean , more revenue , backloading ?

Cool. It's a distribution deal. Means more business revenue for Starlink.

A typical corporate business customer will use a single provider like Comcast for all their datacomm links but Comcast has to sub contract links to far flung remote offices since they won’t have fiber there. This allows Comcast to be a one stop communications provider for all a customers needs.

This would also allow Comcast to provide communications to remote international locations too.

Last edited:
Cool. It's a distribution deal. Means more business revenue for Starlink.

A typical corporate business customer will use a single provider like Comcast for all their datacomm links but Comcast has to sub contract links to far flung remote offices since they won’t have fiber there. This allows Comcast to be a one stop communications provider for all a customers needs.

This would also allow Comcast to provide communications to remote international locations too.

Interesting, in that business customers usually get service level guarantees residential customers don't. For instance, I have FIOS for business currently, and I get bandwidth & upload guarantees that residential doesn't. I also can get a static IP and have no port filtering so can run services, etc... (all no doubt just a QOS profile and ruleset on the router)

I wonder if those options will be available via Comcursed/Starlink?